IGNORED

Kinect sets record as fastest selling consumer electronics device

Bilnick

I must be one of the few that thought this thing had a chance (heh, I was first to say motion controls wouldn't work....bout 6 years ago when the wii came out :P ) If the wii could sell well, I saw no reason this couldn't.

Anyhow, I love it, bought one, and actually play the thing :lol: which is not true of the Wii I bought two years ago and still collects dust in the closet.

Now for the record, uh...I doubt that. It may cost less than the Iphone, but it also is very limited in what it can do (to the average joe) But then...it will work anywhere, and I can't say that of the Iphone :P Pluss, there's lots of neat stuff you can do with it outside of Xbox.

Now if they can just release a few more games, I got Kinect Adventures (packin) Kinect sports, and Party games in motion, and uh, am thinking of joyride, but not much else interesting looking to me. Where are the Kinect "enabled" games anyways? I saw lots of Move "enabled" games when that came out, but so far, not a single kinect enabled game.

This product will obviously sell well for the time being, but mark my words the clearance bins will be full of this stuff without good software to back it up.

That's true of any hardware.

Yes, but peripherals, especially ones added late into a console's lifespan, are especially prone to a lack of software support.

This product will obviously sell well for the time being, but mark my words the clearance bins will be full of this stuff without good software to back it up.

That's true of any hardware.

Agreed....that's kind of a given. I guess an easy out if great software is steadily released that takes advantage of the hardware.

Did anyone else realize that Capcom announced Steel Battalion (I believe it's called Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor) for Kinect? I just found out today....just a teaser trailer so not sure exactly how it'll work, but I'm extremely intrigued. I had the original for Xbox and liked it, but eventually just didn't have the room for the controller, and when I decided to get rid of my original Xbox that was the final straw.

This though....I'm thinking that they can have different control boards for individual Vertical Tanks, but each one of them as complex as the original controller.

I don't know....this and the Gunstringer I'm really looking forward to.

I play Steel Battalion on original Xbox frequently. The controller is a huge part of the game. I will probably stick with the Steel Battalion games I have on original Xbox. I'm very interested in jumping on Xlink Kai or XBConnect for some SB: LoC, which I never got a chance to play on Live, in case anyone happens to own it.

Steel Battalion without the controller is not the same. The draw to the game was the 40 button controller. I put coutless hours in the game and loved it. It was the controller that made you feel like you were controlling a huge mech. Without the controller....lame. Again, the Kinect is not going to be supported enough with steady software for it to be a long term success. The focus of the product will be casual games crap, with a couple of semi-fun games to play with the girlfriend or family. The software support will tank this product, not the technology.

Edited by swlovinist
  • Like 2

The software support will tank this product, not the technology.

True that. Of course, down the road, you'll be able to get most of the kinect games, and rest assured that they are actually for the most part "good" (even if you aren't into the genera) Not like Wii, which keeps going essentially due to the diarrhea that keeps falling out of their ass.

True that. Of course, down the road, you'll be able to get most of the kinect games, and rest assured that they are actually for the most part "good" (even if you aren't into the genera) Not like Wii, which keeps going essentially due to the diarrhea that keeps falling out of their ass.

Man, you trash the Wii every time you post about Kinect. My Wii may not be the most played console in my house but it has some really good titles for it. Trash it all you want but you will have to come back when Kinect has anything remotely as good as Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4, Twilight Princess, or a dozen other great games that you can get on Wii. Most people will admit that the Kinect does not really have even a single solid stand-out game that has real staying power. I know you really like your Kinect and your Wii is a dust magnet but come on... keep things within a realistic perspective.

• Like 2

Man, you trash the Wii every time you post about Kinect. My Wii may not be the most played console in my house but it has some really good titles for it. Trash it all you want but you will have to come back when Kinect has anything remotely as good as Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4, Twilight Princess, or a dozen other great games that you can get on Wii. Most people will admit that the Kinect does not really have even a single solid stand-out game that has real staying power. I know you really like your Kinect and your Wii is a dust magnet but come on... keep things within a realistic perspective.

Same to you. You are comparing games on Kinect that are ALL motion sensing games to games on the Wii that do not require motion-sensing. That's like saying, "Yeah, Halo is bad ass! Too bad the Wii motion plus can't do anything like that!"

Same to you. You are comparing games on Kinect that are ALL motion sensing games to games on the Wii that do not require motion-sensing. That's like saying, "Yeah, Halo is bad ass! Too bad the Wii motion plus can't do anything like that!"

All of those games utilize the Wii controller for critical gameplay elements. I don't see how the comparison isn't relevant. Do I need to stick with games you have to stand up and play? Maybe I should limit the titles only to those that use motion aspects of the controls and are in the top 10 sold games of all time in which 3 would apply: Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Mario Kart Wii. Still, I think the other games are absolutely valid comparisons. He didn't say Wii body motion control based games are just diarrhea keeping the system going. He made a blanket statement that the Wii is kept going by diarrhea falling out of developers asses. I wouldn't disagree with the fact that the Wii has more than its share of crap games but the Wii certainly has a number of real gems that surpass anything the Kinect has available now. That was the comparison.... titles for Kinect and titles for Wii. There was no narrow category expressed in the statement.

• Like 2

It just means they shipped a lot of units really quickly. Kinect sold 133,333 units in the very first month of its sale (4 November 2010 to 3 January 2011). That's the figure that got them in the Guiness book and I bet their whole manufacturing and shipping strategy was geared to reach this figure for this purpose.

How many million XBox 360s are out there? It's difficult to know how many unique sales there have been, excluding ring of death, etc, but they've shipped over 40 million consoles total. MS is really spinning the sales figures though so the truth is hard to discern.

Edited by Kripto

MS naysayers and people who use the excuse of them "spinning" the sales numbers...

Get over it.

The Kinect is selling really well. I don't know why but it is. I have never tried it but I have friends that love it. I thought it would flop, I thought the Wii would flop. Goes to show what I know.

But stop the MS bashing and accusations of them spinning things. They have a winner even if you don't like it.

You deny that all the console manufacturers make it more difficult to know actual sale numbers, thus spinning them?

I personally don't care who is in the lead, etc. but this particular "sales acheivement" seems very much line an engineered event to generate a positive story which would help MS overcome "add-on-ittus

You deny that all the console manufacturers make it more difficult to know actual sale numbers, thus spinning them?

I personally don't care who is in the lead, etc. but this particular "sales acheivement" seems very much line an engineered event to generate a positive story which would help MS overcome "add-on-ittus", which has killed pretty much every other console add-on ever.

Your statement is totally illogical.

You state that everyone spins their sales numbers (which they do) but somehow MS's spin is more egregious than everyone one else. The simple fact is MS is selling a ton of Kinects. I have no interest in one, I thought it would be an epic fail and I'm not sure I like the fact that it's succeeding. But it's a fact that it is a success.

like I said, get over it.

I personally don't care who is in the lead, etc. but this particular "sales acheivement" seems very much line an engineered event to generate a positive story which would help MS overcome "add-on-ittus

And? They are turning a profit. I hope it continues being successful so that it is well supported by software. So far, so good. Chill out.

I do? Well....wait, I do don't I? Well, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and Twilight Princess, you'r right. The kinect will never have those. I doubt it's an issue with the kinect though. Oh, wait, yes it is. It's not owned by Nintendo and those games are. As for Resident Evil....EEWWW I hated that on the PSX (never understood the appeal of the slowest moving, anti-intuitive controlling game ever, especially since so many people seemed to cream their pants over it. Seems it's main calling, then, as is now, was how it "looked" At least now the computer is actually processing something though)

As for games actually on both systems....such as random sports compilations (god damn, Kinect already has 3 of those...make something else guys) I can say the kinect counterpart does indeed stand head and shoulders above the similar titles the Wii offers.

And you won't find games shoehorned to make the kinect work, where it obviously wont (not true of the wii, and where so many of the "bad" titles actually come from) as the kinect is just an accessory and the 360 doesn't need it at all to work, unlike the wii and it's motion control, so the games that won't work on the kinect will be put with a control scheme that does work, which is weird, cause technically games could be played on some other controls on the Wii, it's just that most the ones that would make sense to me...dont (like new super mario wii)

That should, in theory anyways, mean that the kinect won't end up with games that are just ass bad....at least from a controls standpoint. I'm not saying bad games won't be made for it, as I don't own all 10 games for the thing so far, I won't swear there aren't already bad games for it. :D

As for "trashing the wii in every kinect post..." Naw, I trash it in a lot more posts than just kinect posts, where have you been? And besides, what else should I compare the kinect too? The Move? (I don't have that) I figured I should just relate it to something I do actually own, even if it's negative (or even if it was positive) Oh, I guess I could compare it to the eyetoy, it's a glorified version of that that tracks more than your upper body. (now I'll get my ass kicked for being wrong :lol: )

Just, you know...keeping things in a realistic perspective. :P

There must be a lot of people out there with huge living rooms. I don't have the space or desire to dance and flail. I like my things unbroken.

That's the one true failing of the kinect. I don't have that much room, but heck, my friend has the absolute limits in his room, he can hit the back wall and the thing will still register him "in the play area"

I plan on making a game room eventually, but that probably won't ever happen, and even if I did, it would probabaly be for the most awesomest lan setup ever, rather than the kinect.

I do? Well....wait, I do don't I? Well, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and Twilight Princess, you'r right. The kinect will never have those. I doubt it's an issue with the kinect though. Oh, wait, yes it is. It's not owned by Nintendo and those games are.

I didn't say come back when the Kinect has those games. I said to come back when the Kinect has games as good as those. I'm not saying it never will but I will be surprised if there is any significant quantity of sensible games of that quality.

As for Resident Evil....EEWWW I hated that on the PSX (never understood the appeal of the slowest moving, anti-intuitive controlling game ever, especially since so many people seemed to cream their pants over it. Seems it's main calling, then, as is now, was how it "looked" At least now the computer is actually processing something though)

Ummm... what? You never actually looked at Resident Evil 4 or 5 at all did you? They are completely different from previous Resident Evil games in many many ways. The biggest things would be the new perspective and completely different controls. It is not a birds eye tank control game anymore. It is a third person over-the-shoulder game with really fantastic controls. It also moves at a very nice pace. There is a reason why Resident Evil 4 garnered so much attention. It completely revamped the franchise. Apparently you missed the memo though.

As for games actually on both systems....such as random sports compilations (god damn, Kinect already has 3 of those...make something else guys) I can say the kinect counterpart does indeed stand head and shoulders above the similar titles the Wii offers.

And you won't find games shoehorned to make the kinect work, where it obviously wont (not true of the wii, and where so many of the "bad" titles actually come from) as the kinect is just an accessory and the 360 doesn't need it at all to work, unlike the wii and it's motion control, so the games that won't work on the kinect will be put with a control scheme that does work, which is weird, cause technically games could be played on some other controls on the Wii, it's just that most the ones that would make sense to me...dont (like new super mario wii)

That should, in theory anyways, mean that the kinect won't end up with games that are just ass bad....at least from a controls standpoint. I'm not saying bad games won't be made for it, as I don't own all 10 games for the thing so far, I won't swear there aren't already bad games for it. :D

There will be plenty of shovelware to come. As much as regular gamers think that stuff is crap that junk makes these console makers a lot of money. The typical person that latches onto gimmicks like this are drawn to that shovelware. If it weren't viable product it wouldn't be so consistently produced. MS isn't going to turn down perfectly good revenue. It is still early in the Kinect game. There will be plently of shovelware to come.

As for "trashing the wii in every kinect post..." Naw, I trash it in a lot more posts than just kinect posts, where have you been? And besides, what else should I compare the kinect too? The Move? (I don't have that) I figured I should just relate it to something I do actually own, even if it's negative (or even if it was positive) Oh, I guess I could compare it to the eyetoy, it's a glorified version of that that tracks more than your upper body. (now I'll get my ass kicked for being wrong :lol: )

Just, you know...keeping things in a realistic perspective. :P

I'm no Nintendo apologist or fanboy. If anything I post positively about the Xbox and 360 more than anything else on these forums. It is the consistency of which you take shots at the Wii regardless of whether it is really warranted or not. It just makes you look like some of the other well known fanboys of different consoles around here who can't help but trash the competing consoles. Nobody likes those guys. They are annoying and they pretty much alienate at least one group of people that post here. They also annoy people who are fans of the system they defend because they drag that section of the community down. If you want to be that guy fine. Just expect to be called out on it.

There must be a lot of people out there with huge living rooms. I don't have the space or desire to dance and flail. I like my things unbroken.

That's the one true failing of the kinect. I don't have that much room, but heck, my friend has the absolute limits in his room, he can hit the back wall and the thing will still register him "in the play area"

I plan on making a game room eventually, but that probably won't ever happen, and even if I did, it would probabaly be for the most awesomest lan setup ever, rather than the kinect.

We posted ours up in my basement, which is decent size, and I still have to move the couches and tables around to get a decent play space.

At the same time, you have to rub elbows with the person you're playing against. I accidentally hit my girlfriend while we were playing table tennis on the kinect. (It was her fault though, she thought she was cool putting that much spin on her serve).

I'm not a fan on internet drama, I don't want to be a part of your argument, just voicing my opinion. The Kinect has pros and cons, we know.

I think that Nintendo and its 3rd parties are coming to the conclusion that motion isn't the be-all, end-all of gaming.

For the first couple years, every Wii title that came out was wiggle-waggle-twist-flip-shake-flick-etc-etc. Now, many games give you either controller options or limit the extent of motion within the game. Examples: two of Nintendo's biggest franchises, Super Mario Bros. Wii & Donkey Kong, had you hold the Wii-mote like an NES controller and the only motion was that you simply shook the controller once in awhile. FPS's Call of Duty, GoldenEye, and the upcoming Conduit 2 have the Pro-Controller as a main option, totally by-passing motion.

And then there is Motion Plus. I might be wrong.... and correct me if I am.... but I think the only Nintendo game that has used it is Sports Resort and the only 3rd party game that used it was Red Steel 2.

So, while I believe motion will continue to be a big feature on the Wii (and in some games it can be really a fun aspect), I think that Nintendo and its 3rd parties have backed away from making it the ONLY deal.

As for Kinect, I got to play it for a short while at a Best Buy recently and it was sort of fun. For me, it wasn't $150 worth of fun but it was still fun. And I can see where it would have a big appeal for some people. Will it continue to succeed and might it be a future purchase for me? I don't know.... lets see what type of game releases come forth in the next 12 months.

Mendon