IGNORED

[music] Europe - The Final Countdown

newcoleco

I've started coding a ColecoVision version of The Final Countdown by Europe. Hope to finish it during the week-end.

Note : I'm trying to keep the music size small so no real complex notes and effects, but it's close enough for me to the original music.

DAY 1 : After 5 hours of coding, ROM size 1.31KB

ROM : finalcountdown_day1_.zip

MP3 : cv - europe - final countdown - day1.mp3

• Like 8

WOW! :)

I was expecting something much simpler sound as you said "so no real complex notes and effects, but it's close enough for me to the original music.". :) But anyway I would have liked it simpler too! :)

I REALLY wish that MSX composers would like to arrange old recorded songs and Commodore/Atari game musics for AY-chip, and not just what they do all the time: rearranging every japanese msx/nes/whatever game tune again and again in billionth time for MSX-MUSIC/MOONBLASTER and NEVER do nothing else..... :x

:sad:

But luckily there are arrangers on other machines with AY or same like chip who will produce good ol´ music!! :) THANK YOU!! :D

And thank you a lot for your previous arrangements too! PLEASE continue your good work!!! I wish so much I could play them someday on my dear MSX. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Edited by mäsäxi

To answer Murph74's question and to give a hint how close my version is compared to the original...

Playing both versions in a single MP3 : europe - final countdown - day1 (compare).mp3

Note#1 : My ColecoVision version plays mostly on the right channel, while the original version plays mostly on the left channel.

Note#2 : It's quite interesting to notice that the original music is not perfectly on tempo; it's sometimes faster and sometimes slower, this leads to a slightly outsync between the 2 versions from time to time.

DAY 1.5

This will answer why my original comment was "trying to keep the music size small so no real complex notes and effects". I've worked a little bit on what I've already done to make it even more closer to the original. The modifications needed to do that contains volume variations, some notes to change (frenquency and duration), and a glide effect for the "oooo" (if you know what I mean)... and this needed an extra half a kilo-byte which is practically one third of the actual music data size. Well, because I've worked to tweak this music, I will keep the new data and simply continue from there.

ROM : finalcountdown_day1.5.zip

MP3 : europe - final countdown - day1.5 (closer to the original).mp3

MP3 (compare) : europe - final countdown - day1.5 (compare).mp3

Edited by newcoleco

I am curious Daniel did seeing this commercial give you the idea to compose the music? When I first read your thread I thought about this.

Answer : I've never seen this commercial before. I'm a kid of the 80s and "The Final Countdown" by Europe is one of the most famous music of that period... 1986 apparently. The 80s is full of musics I would love to hear in ColecoVision-like format including Crazy Train -done- (1980), Eye of the tiger (1982), Beat it (1983), Jump (1984), Rock Me Amadeus (1985), etc.

DAY 1.5

This will answer why my original comment was "trying to keep the music size small so no real complex notes and effects". I've worked a little bit on what I've already done to make it even more closer to the original. The modifications needed to do that contains volume variations, some notes to change (frenquency and duration), and a glide effect for the "oooo" (if you know what I mean)... and this needed an extra half a kilo-byte which is practically one third of the actual music data size. Well, because I've worked to tweak this music, I will keep the new data and simply continue from there.

ROM : finalcountdown_day1.5.zip

MP3 : europe - final countdown - day1.5 (closer to the original).mp3

MP3 (compare) : europe - final countdown - day1.5 (compare).mp3

I love it! One of my favorite songs even if it is a little before my time. =P

Wow! :lust:

Daniel, you're the Colecovision music man! :thumbsup:

Here's 2 of my favorite 80s songs (well I think Kraftwerk is from 78)... I would love to hear on the CV sound chip:

Band / Song

Kraftwerk / Radio Activity

A Flock of Seagulls / I ran... (So far away)

EDIT: Also New Order with Blue Monday

Edited by retroillucid

Day 2

After a bit of troubles, and 5 hours later, I've managed to get the first singing part nearly correct, but didn't reach the famous "it's the final countdown" catch phrase yet. My main concern for the next part will be what to do with the back vocals, there is no sound channel free left, I may have to ignore them.

ROM : finalcountdown_day2.zip

P.S. - Since when this thread became a "suggestion box"? Anyway, by seeing the time needed to compose a single music, don't expect me composing all these musics. I've watched (and listened carefully) all your video links and only 2 might be interresting while all the others can't be really done (coleco sound chip is 3 sound channels only, and talking is not like a melody). If someone want to prove me wrong on that last point by doing these musics in Coleco format themself, go ahead.

Edited by newcoleco

• 5 months later...

I've started coding a ColecoVision version of The Final Countdown by Europe. Hope to finish it during the week-end.

Note : I'm trying to keep the music size small so no real complex notes and effects, but it's close enough for me to the original music.

DAY 1 : After 5 hours of coding, ROM size 1.31KB

ROM : finalcountdown_day1_.zip

MP3 : cv - europe - final countdown - day1.mp3

You amaze me with your abilities!