IGNORED

Dizzy

I'm quite disillusioned. Projects often look like this and don't find an end.

A little bit disturbing is the look of the "Egg". In the scoreboard it looks ok. In the gamerange it looks like it's pregnant. It would do better to have "one common" shape on the screen for the hero....

Look at the NES-version by the way:

That's not the same game. That's Fantastic Dizzy. The game being ported to A800 is Treasure Island Dizzy, telling by the look of it and the "Dizzy II". The NES Treasure Island Dizzy is in the Quattro Adventure cart and lacks scrolling.

Here is a video of the NES version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3NBgZgBGW8

Edited by BrianC

A little bit disturbing is the look of the "Egg". In the scoreboard it looks ok. In the gamerange it looks like it's pregnant. It would do better to have "one common" shape on the screen for the hero....

Well,

just compare the Dizzy character (in the game) with the main character in "Wloczykij" (The Wanderer), they are very similar, they almost look the same, the animation (walking, jumping, etc.) is also extremely similar... coincidence or fully intentional ?!?

-Andreas Koch.

wloczykij.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Which version is it based on? To my knowledge, the C64 version is a ZX Spectrum port with limited color. I know this Dizzy, Treasure Island Dizzy, is in Quattro Adventure for NES.

Actually, like several other games of the time, it was Amstrad first (4 color mode 1), then a simple Speccy port, then the C64 in 320x200 mode. (hence the poor colors, even for the speccy -both the speccy and C64 could have looked much better in high res . . . far too many Amstrad games used mode 1 instead of 160x200 mode 0 with 16 colors :()

Some of the later Dizzy games had the C64 version based on the Amiga/ST versions though. Like those ports, the NES version of Treasure Island Dizzy go taken from the ST/Miggy game with some graphical/color modifications to cater to the NES's graphics. (it also got the music of the Amstrad/Speccy versions rather than the somewhat different arrangement used in the ST/Amiga/C64)

Look at the NES-version by the way:

That's not the same game. That's Fantastic Dizzy. The game being ported to A800 is Treasure Island Dizzy, telling by the look of it and the "Dizzy II". The NES Treasure Island Dizzy is in the Quattro Adventure cart and lacks scrolling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3NBgZgBGW8

Yes indeed, it's also one of the non-scrolling games in the series (hence being highly competitive on ST and Amiga) and thus doesn't show-off the A8's scrolling capabilities. (or NES)

From what I understand, it's usually considered one of the worst games in the series in terms of overall gameplay. (my biggest problem was the total lack of saves/continues and only having 1 life with 1 hit deaths -lots of PC adventure games with sudden deaths too, but most/all with saves or continues -the latter would be more practical for a system lacking a disk drive)

Still a nice show of the A8's capabilities though.

It would also look a bit less stretched out on an NTSC TV. (emulators use pure double wide pixels on a 320x240 window, so very close to what you get in PAL, but much wider -or shorter rather- pixels than in NTSC) You'd need 640x576 to reasonably approximate A8 (or 7800, or VCS) pixels in NTSC aspect ratio. (using 4x3 bloxks of square pixels) Or use scaling/interpolation at lower resolutions at the expensive of losing a pixel-perfect display.

It's totally the opposite for NES emulators and such (CV, MSX, SNES, etc) since those tend to use square pixels when they'd be a bit wide in NTSC and much wider (or shorter) in PAL.

Well,

just compare the Dizzy character (in the game) with the main character in "Wloczykij" (The Wanderer), they are very similar, they almost look the same, the animation (walking, jumping, etc.) is also extremely similar... coincidence or fully intentional ?!?

Keyword: Ripoff ;)

Some polish games used sources from other games.

Listening to the music, well, no need for 2 tone operators with the POKEY version (the NES sound is getting annoying after 5 minutes). But the basses would do better with gen "C" than "E" . The "off sound" destroys the fun in the POKEY tune.

It would also look a bit less stretched out on an NTSC TV. (emulators use pure double wide pixels on a 320x240 window, so very close to what you get in PAL, but much wider -or shorter rather- pixels than in NTSC) You'd need 640x576 to reasonably approximate A8 (or 7800, or VCS) pixels in NTSC aspect ratio. (using 4x3 bloxks of square pixels) Or use scaling/interpolation at lower resolutions at the expensive of losing a pixel-perfect display.

Altirra does a very good job of the aspect ratio problem, I don't see how it could be dealt with more correctly.. With preserve aspect ratio enabled, it looks as expected in both NTSC & PAL..

Edited by andym00

True. However, the most important factor to estimate the chance is the person of author. Some authors never finish their work, there are some we can trust :). Paw completed his first Atari game ever ("Dr. Mario") and as far as I know him, he is able to complete dizzy-like game too.

BTW: base gfx in his preview comes from "Treasure Island" (NES), the top and the bottom from "Treasure Island" (C-64), shape of Dizzy from "Crystal Kingdom" (C-64).

Edited by Kaz atarionline.pl

True. However, the most important factor to estimate the chance is the person of author. Some authors never finish their work, there are some we can trust :). Paw completed his first Atari game ever ("Dr. Mario") and as far as I know him, he is able to complete dizzy-like game too.

BTW: base gfx in his preview comes from "Treasure Island" (NES), the top and the bottom from "Treasure Island" (C-64), shape of Dizzy from "Crystal Kingdom" (C-64).

Ah... (looks around...) me? ;) I have finished some stuff... not everything but such is life... and Japan & politics and personal things etc have my intention at the moment than LDA, EOR, STA ;)

Listening to the music, well, no need for 2 tone operators with the POKEY version (the NES sound is getting annoying after 5 minutes). But the basses would do better with gen "C" than "E" . The "off sound" destroys the fun in the POKEY tune.

On the other hand.... Some "Dizzy" sounding tunes could be a roundup for such game....

Just a clue.... http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166028-a-new-idea/page__view__findpost__p__2184518

• 3 weeks later...