IGNORED

The CompuMate List

Amstari

Only three of those tapes, exactly my argument, one should provide a dump on AtariMania for safekeeping and others to use.

How would you / what would be needed - to dump one of these?

I think this may be the main reason it hasn't been dumped.

Could one simply use a tape deck to make a copy?

Yes, it would be best to make a copy on a quality tape. Then the copy would then be converted into a binary that could be used in an emulator. Or if you wanted to play the game on real hardware you could use the copy itself.

The quality of the copy has to be good though.

Hey that's neat for Euro 1800,00, but for that I expect a complete PictureMate, but is Mangia' so valuable already? Euro 500?

My CIB Bumper Bash from the same guy (and gal?) was Aus$ 67.00 you sure about 250+?

Anyway, I reckon you should keep it and not sell the collection.

Edited by high voltage

Hey that's neat for Euro 1800,00, but for that I expect a complete PictureMate, but is Mangia' so valuable already? Euro 500?

My CIB Bumper Bash from the same guy (and gal?) was Aus$ 67.00 you sure about 250+?

Anyway, I reckon you should keep it and not sell the collection.

Sheeesh - you don't want much ;)

I should add that Mangia, chase the chuck, bumper, gas hog are all in minty condition, although your bumper was still a bargain for its condition.

Only three of those tapes, exactly my argument, one should provide a dump on AtariMania for safekeeping and others to use.

Yes, it would be best to make a copy on a quality tape. Then the copy would then be converted into a binary that could be used in an emulator. Or if you wanted to play the game on real hardware you could use the copy itself.

The quality of the copy has to be good though.

If I had a double cassette deck i'd post you a copy... but I don't unfortunately

Edited by nofrills100

I wish someone would make/sell some copies, but nobody comes forward to do some copying. If I get an original I'd share it straight away.

I would share it too but I can completely understand why someone wouldn't want to do it, especially if they just paid a lot to get an original. If it was easy to get it might not be considered to be as valuable.

I have the equipment to do it, tape deck and cable to connect to PC. I just don't have the PictureMate cassette :(

Nofrills100, I'm in Australia too so if your interested in borrowing the tape deck and cable send me a PM. (The tape desk is small enough to post).

Even if you just want to try it out with your CompuMate and take some photos of the screens before you sell it that would be great! If you decide to make a WAV file I can give you instructions.

post-27767-0-83287100-1300355946_thumb.jpg

When I was buying my Compumate last year on ebay, there seemed to be a sudden influx of Compumates on the market, especially from Venezuela. When I searched ebay yesterday for a Compumate, there were none. Did the market dry up?

Correction: there is one up for sale on ebay from Venezuela. When i looked yesterday, i made the mistake of looking under the category of video games, but its listed under vintage computer. Now to decide whether I can actually afford to buy another one of these things.....

Correction: there is one up for sale on ebay from Venezuela. When i looked yesterday, i made the mistake of looking under the category of video games, but its listed under vintage computer. Now to decide whether I can actually afford to buy another one of these things.....

Another one was sold on eBay Australia two weeks ago. It didn't have the box though. It sold for only AUD$15.50!

I tried to bid on it at the last minute but I was using eBay on my phone and I didn't have a good signal so I missed out. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Yet another list of serial numbers! This time it is for the Spectravideo CompuMate.

Please let me know the serial number of your CompuMate and if you have the box and/or manual, and any other interesting information you might like to share.

Hope to hear from all you lucky CompuMate owners soon.

Cheers,

Steve

#BC0100005328 (No box or manual - PAL) - Amstari

#BC0100014722 (CIB - keyboard not working) - Gorfy

#BC0100016019 (CIB - PAL - Quelle Universum) - nofrills100

#BC0100017397 (CIB - PAL - Quelle Universum) - Mister VCS

#BC0100027313 (CIB - NTSC) - Ze_ro

#BC0100027372 (CIB - NTSC) - Rolenta

#BC0100027418 (CIB - NTSC) - bennybingo

#BC0100028443 (CIB - NTSC) - nofrills100

I wish someone would make/sell some copies, but nobody comes forward to do some copying. If I get an original I'd share it straight away.

I would share it too but I can completely understand why someone wouldn't want to do it, especially if they just paid a lot to get an original. If it was easy to get it might not be considered to be as valuable.

See that is exactly the stupidity I don't understand (Not meant personally). Again, my copy of the Mona Lisa devalues the original? I somehow doubt that.

Edited by high voltage

See that is exactly the stupidity I don't understand (Not meant personally). Again, my copy of the Mona Lisa devalues the original? I somehow doubt that.

Just cause I'm bored.. :D

The Mona Lisa metaphor is flawed for a few reasons;

A. From the art perspective - everybody knows there is only one real Mona Lisa, and it is housed at the Louvre. No matter how many painstaking copies of it you make, it will never devalue the original (which incidentally will never be sold so it wouldn't really matter anyway).

B. If you are the Louvre, you own the copyrights to reproduce the Mona Lisa - posters, postcards, cups, plates etc... but if someone in China begins to make their own copies of posters, postcards, cups plates etc... and sells them for half the price of the Louvre's merchandise - then it devalues the Louvre's copyrights to the Mona Lisa. So unless your copy of the Mona Lisa is authentic, then it is undermining the Louvre's financial gain from the item that they own.

A picturemate cassette on the other hand, is a different story;

A. Unlike the Mona Lisa, there were multiple copies made. If you got hold of one you could easily make a copy and whack some hi quality print labels on it, get the manual printed and cut to size and - Voila! Who's to say it isn't original? Bang! there goes the R10 rarity.

B. Think of the picturemate cassette not as a one off painting, but as more of a limited edition etchiing. There are 1000 people eager to get hold of the etching - but there are only three known to exist. If one is up for auction, there will be plenty of competition. On the other hand there are photocopies of that etching now available. 900 of the 1000 people just like the look of the print, they don't feel the need to actually own the real thing so they are happy to have a photocopy. Now if one of the three is up for auction, there is less demand for the print.

I think a big part of the allure of this program, is largely because it isn't dumped. If the content were dumped, we wouldn't even be having this conversation - because everyone, with exception to the hardcore collectors, would have their 'photocopy' to keep them happy.

• Like 1

A. From the art perspective - everybody knows there is only one real Mona Lisa, and it is housed at the Louvre. No matter how many painstaking copies of it you make, it will never devalue the original (which incidentally will never be sold so it wouldn't really matter anyway).

B. If you are the Louvre, you own the copyrights to reproduce the Mona Lisa - posters, postcards, cups, plates etc... but if someone in China begins to make their own copies of posters, postcards, cups plates etc... and sells them for half the price of the Louvre's merchandise - then it devalues the Louvre's copyrights to the Mona Lisa. So unless your copy of the Mona Lisa is authentic, then it is undermining the Louvre's financial gain from the item that they own.

A. Unlike the Mona Lisa, there were multiple copies made. If you got hold of one you could easily make a copy and whack some hi quality print labels on it, get the manual printed and cut to size and - Voila! Who's to say it isn't original? Bang! there goes the R10 rarity.

B. Think of the picturemate cassette not as a one off painting, but as more of a limited edition etchiing. There are 1000 people eager to get hold of the etching - but there are only three known to exist. If one is up for auction, there will be plenty of competition. On the other hand there are photocopies of that etching now available. 900 of the 1000 people just like the look of the print, they don't feel the need to actually own the real thing so they are happy to have a photocopy. Now if one of the three is up for auction, there is less demand for the print.

I think a big part of the allure of this program, is largely because it isn't dumped. If the content were dumped, we wouldn't even be having this conversation - because everyone, with exception to the hardcore collectors, would have their 'photocopy' to keep them happy.

I think you summed up several parts of collecting reproducable items quite well, with decent analogies!

There's a selfmade text adventure available on the Compumate, but the link doesn't work, so maybe someone has it?

Are you refering to the "Quest-A" text adventure or another one? I hope it is another one it would be great to find more programs.

I am going to be programming a text adventure for the CompuMate. Due to the 1K limit it will be a multi-load game released in episodes. So that you can use the same character in each episode I'm thinking of using a simple password system that generates a password based on you characters stats (health, armour, gold, etc).

I think you summed up several parts of collecting reproducable items quite well, with decent analogies!

Because I'm never bored (my life doesn't lack excitement):

Nah I don't see it that way, but there you go.

Edited by high voltage

You Can Add me to the Owners list.

Mine is BC 0100014531

By the way. I've been working on a Compumate CD for release later this year. I'm hoping for 20 programs, but may end up with a few less or a few more.

Most will be games, but some will be "productivity" programs! Yes you to can balance your budget on a compumate!

Anyway its good to finally see some interest in the Great Compumate.

/s

By the way. I've been working on a Compumate CD for release later this year. I'm hoping for 20 programs, but may end up with a few less or a few more.

Most will be games, but some will be "productivity" programs! Yes you to can balance your budget on a compumate!

Excellent news! I'm looking forward to the CD. Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance with the CD.

Sounds great! I don't own a Compumate yet, but I'm very curious about what you're planning with these. Do you have a thread started elsewhere or a place with more info on what you'll be doing?

Anyway its good to finally see some interest in the Great Compumate.

/s