IGNORED

Atari Force. Who's got 'em?

Rhindle The Red

Atari Force. Who's got 'em?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. How many of the Atari Force comics do you have?

• All of 'em. Even "Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer" and "Who's Who".
    • All of the mini *and* regular comics.
    • Many of the comics, but not all of them.
    • Several.
    • A few.
    • One.
    • None.
    • Daddy, what's an Atari Force comic?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Who-hoo! Here we are boys and girls with another Poll of the Week, promptly appearing on your front doorstep every few months.

So, I've been re-organizing my comic book collection and I was drawn once again to one of the few titles I collected *before* I really collected comic books.

I, like many, was introduced to Atari Force with the mini-comics packed into Atari 2600 games. But I also caught it on the newstand and it was re-discoveiring Atari Force and my quest to get all the issues that got me crawling through comic book store discount bins. That crawling led me to discover many a fine comic book series and the rest is history (and twenty-seven comic book long boxes).

So, who's got Atari Force on hand?

I have most of the giveaway comics. BUT the best was the regular comic book series with 'Dart', loved it as a kid. I own a original one-of-a-kind cover art to an issue that was a favorite from "back in the day". Here is link to a pic from an ancient [Has it real been 7.5 years since i posted it - wow] AtariAge thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=16101

Edited by JL

I'll take your one of a kind cover art and raise you a last known in existence Atari Force comic team shirt:

post-160-130000441914_thumb.png

post-160-130000441316_thumb.png

These were done up for the DC comics team by themselves. Got this direct from one of the team, colorist Adrienne Roy. Real interesting shirt, the red V and sleeve ends are actually separate red cloth sewn in rather than just printed on the shirt. The art on the back of the shirt was done up specifically for the shirt.

Edited by wgungfu
  • Like 1

I have most of the giveaway comics. BUT the best was the regular comic book series with 'Dart', loved it as a kid. I own a original one-of-a-kind cover art to an issue that was a favorite from "back in the day". Here is link to a pic from an ancient [Has it real been 7.5 years since i posted it - wow] AtariAge thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=16101

I'll take your one of a kind cover art and raise you a last known in existence Atari Force comic team shirt:

post-160-130000441914_thumb.png

post-160-130000441316_thumb.png

These were done up for the DC comics team by themselves. Got this direct from one of the team, colorist Adrienne Roy. Real interesting shirt, the red V and sleeve ends are actually separate red cloth sewn in rather than just printed on the shirt. The art on the back of the shirt was done up specifically for the shirt.

Woah! Nice stuff guys!

I just own a few of the comics, nothing special ;)

That shirt is awesome.

I just have the Defender, Berzerk, and Star Raiders mini comic books and most of the standard sized comics (with Dart, Babe, etc.).

The storyline for both the original series and the sequel was awesome. I thought the Dark Destroyer was one bad dude! (or being)

I thought my collection of Atari Force was complete (minus shirts and all that). So what was this Ambush Bug special? Was that a unique story?

Ambush Bug creator Keith Giffen had done the "Hukka" back up stories and he brought him back to be mistreated in the "Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer".

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Ambush_Bug_Stocking_Stuffer_1

And, yes, it is original to the special.

Shirt is indeed cool. Fabrics also don't survive the ravages of time very well which makes it even more special.

Adrienne Roy passed away only a couple months ago and at a somewhat young age. Very sad, I truly feel for her family.

I have all of the pack-in comics, but sadly none of the full-size comics. Would love to get them someday.

..Al

You can pick-up reading copy's of the entire run for under $25. Or if you are not opposed to digital copies you can have those today for "free" with only a little searching. Try +"Atari Force" cbr or "+Atari Force" cbz in a search engine.

Edited by JL

Shirt is indeed cool. Fabrics also don't survive the ravages of time very well which makes it even more special.

Adrienne Roy passed away only a couple months ago and at a somewhat young age. Very sad, I truly feel for her family.

Yah, several of the people involved with it have passed away. Arists Ross Andru (1993), and Dick Giordano (2010).

The shirt itself is in like new condition (she probably had it packed away all these years). Got it from her around 2004, she actually put it up on Ebay at the time because she was selling a bunch of stuff to get money as she was going to be taking care of her mother full time I believe. Want to find a way to better protect it from deterioration.

I do show it in a display case at the Midwest Gaming Classic though.

Edited by wgungfu

I thought my collection of Atari Force was complete (minus shirts and all that). So what was this Ambush Bug special? Was that a unique story?

Ambush Bug creator Keith Giffen had done the "Hukka" back up stories and he brought him back to be mistreated in the "Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer".

http://dc.wikia.com/...cking_Stuffer_1

And, yes, it is original to the special.

Man what a load of trash!! No wonder I missed that.

Man what a load of trash!! No wonder I missed that.

Ow! Don't be dissin' the Bug, man!

So who got the STAR RAIDERS graphic novel? It shows a cameo of the Atari Force, and Hukkas. :)

Forgot about that one. I've got it (as well as all the rest in case you hadn't guessed).

I have all of the pack-in comics, but sadly none of the full-size comics. Would love to get them someday.

..Al

I'll suggest Newkadia.com

http://www.newkadia.com/?Atari_Force_Comic-Books=281

They have done a good job for me so far and have a 100% money back guarantee. (It's true!)

Complete set "Best Copies" - $41.84

Complete set "Lowest Price" - $22.19

Shipping? 99 cents. Period.

Forgot about that one. I've got it (as well as all the rest in case you hadn't guessed).

So what did you think of the Star Raiders story?

I thought it was neat all the types of characters involved, and thought the story stops wayyy too abruptly. But good.

So who got the STAR RAIDERS graphic novel? It shows a cameo of the Atari Force, and Hukkas. :)

I do, and Warlords.

BTW, after I saw this I went on ebay and ordered my own copy of Warlords (comic). I'm a long time fan of the game, so think it will be interesting to see what was done with the story.

Another thought I have this morning, I wonder why the Hukka hate? (like we saw in Ambush Bug). I seem to remember other people not liking the Hukkas back in the 80's when the comic book came out. Thought they were alright enough.

It seems like in Sci-fi there is a need for a monkey. I think this stems from how monkeys were the first Astronauts and so to some degree Monkeys and space just go hand in hand in our mind.

Fireball XL5 had Zunee, a monkey like creature.

Many other sci-fi shows have monkeys (especially those in the 60's and 70's). They are fun, whimsical, and sometimes by our standards even effective crew mates.

Zunee in Fireball XL5 started off very interesting. It was a creature that was a pet of Venus, and sometimes she would bring Zunee along. I like to think he was better than a pet. Zunee was established to be slightly telepathic. He learned a few words "Welcome Home" and "Follow Me", which he repeated in various ways throughout the series to reflect how he felt. He had all the physical abilities of a monkey. In one episode all Zunee had to do was say "Welcome home" to two powerful aliens and it sent them into a panic. Lezunes (Zunee's race) were actually hated by many races in that story, and some even plotted the destruction of the Lezunes.

Great build up. Then like many kid's shows, Zunee just became the bumbling comic relief.

The Hukkas I believe were similar in the same ways. They were highly intelligent, could even repair starships. I think in many ways they were the wookie of the Star Raiders/Atari Force world.

I can't remember, there was only one Hukka in the regular series correct?

So anyway, the character is an interesting concept.

Perhaps Ambush Bug was parodying what readers were going through? Perhaps letting Ambush Bug torchure the Hukka (as some readers might have wanted to do) but then balancing it with the spokespeople against cruelty against Hukkas. Perhaps.

Anyway, the Hukka got me thinking on why monkey types are in sci-fi. Would love to hear this or other things Atari Force might have got you thinking about as well.

I just have two or three that came with the games (Defender being one). I never read them. Maybe I should look for them when I visit my parents this year.

Highly suggested. I had the first three for years, and never imagined something like Ebay where I would find the others so easily. It's a good story.

Sooo... I was at a convention this weekend with various Doctor Who and super hero costuming /cosplay going on.

Has anyone ever seen a Atari Force cosplay/ costume?

• 2 weeks later...

WTF is it?

Atari Force? It was a line of comics that DC made for Atari, the first five of which were packed into 2600 games like Berzerk, Star Raiders, Phoenix, etc. Later DC released regular comics that take place 20 years later after the pack in series that went on for like another 21 issues. A good story all and all.

There was a arcade game made for it that was not widely released.

Also in the graphic comic "Star Raiders" the Atari Force has a brief mention.

Just spouting this off the top of my head. There is probably a wiki out there with much more detail.

------------

As for the graphic comic "Warlords" I picked that after hearing about it here and read it. Not a bad story!

Argh, I want 10! :)