IGNORED

WTB: Colecovision controllers and Intellivision II controller

jesusc

Title says it all. I have a coleco with two broken controllers and an Intellivision II in which one of the two controllers work.

I'd like to get some controllers that work!

If for some reason someone is interested in the three above broken controllers, just pay shipping and they're yours. Everything seems to work with the exception of the side action buttons. On the colecos, I could choose which game/skill setting, and move a character around, but couldn't shoot anything. Same deal with the inty controller.

Title says it all. I have a coleco with two broken controllers and an Intellivision II in which one of the two controllers work.

If for some reason someone is interested in the three above broken controllers, just pay shipping and they're yours. Everything seems to work with the exception of the side action buttons. On the colecos, I could choose which game/skill setting, and move a character around, but couldn't shoot anything. Same deal with the inty controller.

I'd suggest contacting Yurkie. I'd be surprised if he couldn't fix your CV controllers, he works magic. :)

Quick and dirty solution (some here would not recommend this) that has worked well for me is to open them up and squirt a little WD40 in the little hole at the top of each firing button switch - the one where you can see the spring inside. Work it in by pressing the buttons repeatedly. Mop up any spills. I will bet 50% or more will now work.

All you need is a screwdriver.

WD40 is not meant for fixing electronic contact points. It will turn into a horrible mess of hair and dust over time and will fail eventually because of this. If you want to try cleaning out a button contact you can try spraying in something else which comes in a very similar style can. It's called DeoxIT. From there you would work the button a bunch of times. I used it to bring back a non-functional TAC-2 joystick a while back, and it has helped NES cartridges where alcohol just couldn't cut it.

I'll give you a little personal experience with WD40 from back in the days before I knew what I was doing. I had a pong console I found but the paddles were very bad. Someone told me to use wd40 on the pots, so I did. It worked great. I dripped a little down into the pot and swiveled it and was able to play with nice smooth movements. I went to play it again the next day with a friend and guess what.. the one paddle that I put the WD40 in? Wouldn't work at all. No sprite on screen at all. No ammount of sliding the pot back and forward could ever get it working again. :(

WD40 is not meant for fixing electronic contact points.

I knew someone would say something. And I am not challenging anything you say. My recommendation was based on the premise that they are currently considered "broken" and he's ready to give them away and on that basis only, I am suggesting he can put some life back in them for next to no cost and for likely months at least. I did it on a couple of my CV controllers and it works for the purposes intended for quite a while now, they havent failed again and although not the perfect solution, it is one that tends to work albeit not permanently.

The proper method of refurbishing a CV controller would be much more complicated and time consuming for many like me who doesnt know which end of a soldering iron to use. I admit it.