IGNORED

Ebay to start charging fees on shipping.

oldgames

Just when I thought they couldn't get any greedier.

:(

Ebay 2011 Spring Seller Changes Special Discussion

Just one more reason to give GameGavel a try.

(O.K. Shameless plug, but seriously this will just about make it totally impractical to sell small lots or single games on GreedBay.)

Surprised that they waited so long to do that. I have seen stuff listed at 50 cents buy-it-now with $80 shipping on it.

• Like 1

Best. Update. Ever. This should pretty much eliminate the remaining douchebags left who overcharge on shipping. Those who don't like the change can thank those who have been fleecing their customers and ebay for years with hidden bullshit "handling" fees.

:thumbsup: Ebay.

• Like 3

Best. Update. Ever. This should pretty much eliminate the remaining douchebags left who overcharge on shipping. Those who don't like the change can thank those who have been fleecing their customers and ebay for years with hidden bullshit "handling" fees.

I can think of better ways to eliminate those who practiced fee avoidance. It was very easy for me to avoid buying from them. No sales = no incentive to break the rules. All Ebay's move does is raise fees on all sellers who didn't break the rules.

When I was in school the good teachers would identify the students responsible for problems and punish them. The very good teachers would identify the students responsible for problems and try to reach out to them and spark an interest in learning. Only the very worst teachers punished the whole class.

IMO, Ebay's move has nothing to do with wanting lower shipping prices for buyers. They only want to increase their fees.

This is simply going to result in more expensive merchandise for buyers. Before this change, eBay was already milking sellers for a considerable sum, especially when it comes to low-priced items. Sellers will simply increase their shipping and/or starting bid on items to recoup this 9% fee on shipping. I spent a little bit of time reading eBay's forums today and as you can expect, sellers are universally pissed off about this change.

..Al

• Like 3

Spent lots of time reading about sellers reactions as well, major Bullshit Ebay has become way to greedy, all the real competitin is gone and they think can do whatever they want. At some point it will be the breaking point and lots of sellers will just go away.

I agree, I think they will push many eBay sellers to their own personal stores, Amazon.com, Etsy, and other marketplaces.

..Al

So what do you propose I do to make it better? It is free to list, free seller stores, free bulk uploaded, free promotional tools,etc,etc. And you have a free seller account so I can't imagine what I could do better? If you are still bent out of shape because I had to choose to have credit cards on file, that was simply a change we had to make to collect what small fees we do charge.

If GG has failed anywhere, it is with sellers who use it once, over price their items so they wouldn't sell anywhere, and then blame the site publicly. There is and has been a whole lot of gaming heart and soul poured into GG over the years so sorry it has been lost on you. GG is still the one only gaming auction site and we aren't going to stop until it reaches critical mass.

Yep, it sure would be a great time for Game Gavel to be a better site. Too bad.

AX

So what do you propose I do to make it better? It is free to list, free seller stores, free bulk uploaded, free promotional tools,etc,etc. And you have a free seller account so I can't imagine what I could do better? If you are still bent out of shape because I had to choose to have credit cards on file, that was simply a change we had to make to collect what small fees we do charge.

If GG has failed anywhere, it is with sellers who use it once, over price their items so they wouldn't sell anywhere, and then blame the site publicly. There is and has been a whole lot of gaming heart and soul poured into GG over the years so sorry it has been lost on you. GG is still the one only gaming auction site and we aren't going to stop until it reaches critical mass.

AX

I think ax has gone on record about not liking the navigation...

Ah here it is:

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:36 PM

You would think that someone would put a big honking

"SELL YOUR ITEMS NOW"

button on the front page. I've not used GG for nearly a year.

Took me 10 minutes to figure out you have to get the link from "my account."

I know the goal is to be an eBay alternative, but IMHO the interface is too alien to an eBayer.

AX

AX

Ah here it is:

"SELL YOUR ITEMS NOW"

I know the goal is to be an eBay alternative, but IMHO the interface is too alien to an eBayer.

AX

AX

More power to ya! We need alternatives to the giant corporate conglomerates :!:

He used it quite a bit originally and did just fine. When you login to your members area it says List An Item plain as day. Every site takes a minute to learn how to use. GG is very simple, especially for gamers who for the most part are an intelligent bunch. We have new sellers every week and no one has asked for help on how or where to list. It is just as easy as eBay. If people had issues with this it would have been taken into consideration.

AX

Ah here it is:

"SELL YOUR ITEMS NOW"

AX

Offering free shipping with Ebay has its advantages. For one, you don't get rated on shipping charges and shipping time, you automatically get a 5 in those 2 areas. I never did offer free shipping with most of my items, but have on some smaller items. When I did do free shipping, I'd jack up the price to make up for the shipping charge. Though I pretty much charged exactly what it would have been for the item with shipping. Wasn't making anything extra.

There are a few ways around fees too. One thing is the new "regional" USPS shipping rates. You actually pay less if you use these flat rate boxes, but I think it needs to be within a few zones from your state. Like from NJ, I can probably ship down to VA, not sure about FL, but I doubt CA. Haven't tried this yet at all.

With free shipping, if you charge more, you actually make alot more money on your items when you sell multiple items to the same buyer. It's sad because I give nice discounts to buyers of multiple items. With free shipping, if you charged an extra $6 to make up for the priority mail rate, you'll get $6 more per item. If you sell 10 items, you'll get $60 extra. I'd probably charge $10-12 for the same combined shipping. The buyer loses out in the end.

As for people leaving Ebay. Not going to happen. Several years ago when they did this whole jack up the price for stores, I closed my store and so did others. It was always about weeding out the small seller to Ebay. If it wasn't for going in 1/2 with my bro, I would not have an Ebay store today. I wouldn't shell out the $50 + 5 cent per item by myself each month. I'm already over 1000 items in my store so our bill with 0 sales is $100.

EDIT: After reading the whole Ebay email, I came to one conclusion: charge more for handling. I have my handling fee set to $1.50 for a package. So whether you buy 1 item or 50 items, you pay $1.50 handling. That goes towards my tape, packing material, markers, printer ink, paper, envelopes, etc. My buddy charged $2 per package. By raising the handling fee 50 cents, it would probably cover the shipping charge. Again, it's sad, but the cost always gets passed on to the buyer, just like going to the store.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

EDIT: After reading the whole Ebay email, I came to one conclusion: charge more for handling. I have my handling fee set to $1.50 for a package. So whether you buy 1 item or 50 items, you pay $1.50 handling. That goes towards my tape, packing material, markers, printer ink, paper, envelopes, etc. My buddy charged $2 per package. By raising the handling fee 50 cents, it would probably cover the shipping charge. Again, it's sad, but the cost always gets passed on to the buyer, just like going to the store.

I think a handling fee is a reasonable thing, as I've sold several items, always collected exact shipping, and paid for the packing materials myself.

But I don't think the [greedy, selfish, ignorant] buyers would give you a very good "detailed seller rating" because they're going to be pissed at handling fees. I've absolutely bent over backward for "my customers" (I've only had a few sales) and although I have high DSR, I could tell that **SOMEBODY** didn't give me the best rating. I can't tell you how hard I worked - SUPER-DETAILED, high-resolution pics, in excellent lighting, and even to the point that any and all flaws were evident, visible, and fully disclosed in writing, as well. Sent THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY, sometimes THE SAME DAY. Always packed well, always tracking. I made 100% sure the postage on the box was the same OR LESS than what they were charged, and I ate the packing materials that I packed so well in. There's just nothing more I could have done, and SOMEBODY wasn't satisfied. Conclusion: customers are generally buttholes. After selling several items, I feel sorry for sellers and give them pretty high ratings and almost NEVER neg, unless I've been absolutely screwed.

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 1

If GG has failed anywhere, it is with sellers who use it once, over price their items so they wouldn't sell anywhere, and then blame the site publicly.

I sure as hell hope you aren't referring to me. I don't think I bashed the site but I did publicly state that I wasn't happy with the lack of traffic over there. Two fairly rare CIB Intellivision games starting at $5 IIRC, that got ONE BID EACH despite letting people on here and other sites know about the items. I think you actually bought one of the games and even you couldn't figure out the lack of bids. Put yourself in my shoes, which site would you use?

I'm not defending ebay, far from it, I hate this greed of theirs and will probably stop using them too, but GG is nowhere near a viable alternative IMO.

Blaming the sites failings on its users - very bad PR :roll:

• Like 2

I agree. With the first 50 auctions listing for free including free buy it now option too is cool by me. I see the new policy update as a good thing not a bad thing. It's gonna get rid of the shipping gougers and let average folks list pretty much all they want for free.

This just stops the fee avoiders, it doesn't prevent the gougers. There's still incentive to have a low BIN price and a high shipping cost.

When are they going to do something about sellers shipping international orders via UPS? I'm okay with paying the sales tax and the $5 handling fee if Canada Customs decides to ding me since they almost never do. I however am not willing to pay insane brokerage fees.

Edited by krae_man

This just stops the fee avoiders, it doesn't prevent the gougers. There's still incentive to have a low BIN price and a high shipping cost.

When are they going to do something about sellers shipping international orders via UPS? I'm okay with paying the sales tax and the $5 handling fee if Canada Customs decides to ding me since they almost never do. I however am not willing to pay insane brokerage fees.

No doubt that this will just hit fee avoiders and is also no doubt what eBay is targeting.

Shipping a low cost item by international mail is okay as the amount of loss risk is low. If it is something expensive the risk is too high as there is now way to get any kind of tracking internationally from post unless you ship it by express mail or some other ridiculously expensive mailing option. Unfortunately, this makes it not worth offering international shipping in most cases.

Edited by kheffington

One of the problems I have run into is eBay putting a cap on what I can charge for shipping. I can't remember the exact numbers, but say I listed an item that cost $18 to ship. eBay would only allow me to list the item with a cap of $9 on shipping. So, basically you have to jack up the price on the item itself to offset. And as a result, your starting price is less attractive.

So, with the new shipping fees, which is more cost effective? Do you jack up the price on the item and offer free shipping or just pay the shipping fee?

• Like 1