IGNORED

Forum Upgrade (mostly) Complete!

Albert

If you're reading this, that means I've managed to successfully upgrade the forum to the latest version. This needed doing for a while to get us on the latest and greatest software, but I had to keep putting it off as it's a fairly time consuming process. One of the biggest time sinks is having to redo the forum skin. In order to get this upgrade done, I am using the stock IP.Board skin as the default skin at the moment, but I will update this to a more traditional AtariAge skin over the next two weeks. In the meantime, if you don't like this skin, you can choose from several others at the bottom of the page:

- CleanCut

- Splat

- Deflection

You can find these at the bottom of the page by clicking the drop-down box that has "IP.Board" as the current selection. If you're using a mobile device (iPhone, iPad, etc.) you should see a new and improved mobile skin when browsing AtariAge.

There are many new features and I encourage everyone to explore them. I've re-enabled the Chat application (which now supports private chat rooms) and there are some nice new toys such as the "Spy" tab at the top of the page that lets you monitor new activity on the forum without having to refresh the page. Check out the "Map" tab if you haven't already. Also, status updates can now be responded to, and a history of status updates is now maintained. Oh yeah, and try hovering over a topic tile while you're viewing a forum. :)

There are two forum features currently missing that I will endeavor to get back into the forum within the next 24 hours:

- The ability to edit specific posts

- The ability to block forums from showing up in "View New Content"

If you have any questions or feedback, please don't hesitate to ask!

..Al

• Like 8

Not sure though on the popup forum content when you hover over it... might end up annoying, might end up real handy.

I think it's a nice feature. You can also hover over someone's username on the same page and it'll show the popup user card. It would be nice perhaps if they made this an option for users to toggle on and off. I'm pretty sure if you disable Javascript you won't see these popups, although that will surely break lots of other things.

..Al

Al.......as always thanks for all of your work on AA. Between the forums, database, and store I don't know where our hobby would be. You addressed this in your post, but I'll be glad when we get back to the normal color scheme. I don't know what it is but this just doesn't "feel" right. Once again, thanks for everything.

The main forums page keeps flashing a green square that says "Loading...".

This is due to the "Spy" hook in the upper-right corner that shows the latest updates in real-time. The "Spy" tab at the top of the page gives you a full-screen, real-time view of forum activity as it happens (very handy). I'm gong to see if the "Loading" text can be removed on the main page. Unfortunately, the author of that particular mod just went to bed (he's in the UK) so I won't be able to ask him about that until tomorrow.

..Al

Al.......as always thanks for all of your work on AA. Between the forums, database, and store I don't know where our hobby would be. You addressed this in your post, but I'll be glad when we get back to the normal color scheme. I don't know what it is but this just doesn't "feel" right. Once again, thanks for everything.

Feel free to try some of the other skins as well (CleanCut, Splat and Deflection). We'll have an AtariAge skin back soon--getting the software upgrade done forces my hand a bit in working on the skin. :)

..Al

Feel free to try some of the other skins as well (CleanCut, Splat and Deflection). We'll have an AtariAge skin back soon--getting the software upgrade done forces my hand a bit in working on the skin. :)

..Al

Thanks - the current skin is ghastly. :woozy:

... I miss the "My Posts" and "Show New Posts" links already... :sad:

Go into your profile and click "Find My Content". Then pay attention to the drop-down list on the right that lets you modify those search results. You can bookmark those pages for quick retrieval.

..Al

Is there no longer a way to block specific forums so their topics don't show up in the "View New Content" search?

I will be adding that back in soon--this was a third-party mod that I need to reinstall. Unfortunately it requires several code edits and I need to verify that it works with the current version of the software by testing it on a development system first.

..Al

Can those results be sorted by date? That is, the most recent post date by anyone (not just by me)? Not seeing a way to do that yet...

I found a bug report about this exact issue:

http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-25512-find-my-content-messed-up-order/

I can't make sense of how it's actually sorting the posts. It's possible this particular issue won't be fixed until 3.2 is released (which is probably going to be a few months). However, I'm hoping I can get a patch for the issue sooner than that.

..Al

I can't get to my PMs. The drop-down in Profile rolls up before I can make a selection.

Bob

If you're reading this, that means I've managed to successfully upgrade the forum to the latest version. This needed doing for a while to get us on the latest and greatest software, but I had to keep putting it off as it's a fairly time consuming process. One of the biggest time sinks is having to redo the forum skin. In order to get this upgrade done, I am using the stock IP.Board skin as the default skin at the moment, but I will update this to a more traditional AtariAge skin over the next two weeks. In the meantime, if you don't like this skin, you can choose from several others at the bottom of the page:

- CleanCut

- Splat

- Deflection

You can find these at the bottom of the page by clicking the drop-down box that has "IP.Board" as the current selection. If you're using a mobile device (iPhone, iPad, etc.) you should see a new and improved mobile skin when browsing AtariAge.

There are many new features and I encourage everyone to explore them. I've re-enabled the Chat application (which now supports private chat rooms) and there are some nice new toys such as the "Spy" tab at the top of the page that lets you monitor new activity on the forum without having to refresh the page. Check out the "Map" tab if you haven't already. Also, status updates can now be responded to, and a history of status updates is now maintained. Oh yeah, and try hovering over a topic tile while you're viewing a forum. :)

There are two forum features currently missing that I will endeavor to get back into the forum within the next 24 hours:

- The ability to edit specific posts

- The ability to block forums from showing up in "View New Content"

If you have any questions or feedback, please don't hesitate to ask!

..Al

I can't get to my PMs. The drop-down in Profile rolls up before I can make a selection.

If you click the arrow to the right of your username, a menu should drop down. You can then select "Messenger" from that menu. If you have any unread messages, you can also click on the number appearing over your profile picture.

..Al

The "You have xx Personal Messages" is no longer there... you can see it from the pull-down but that's nowhere near as convenient.

I'll be adding that back to the default AtariAge skin.

You can also click on the number sitting on top of your profile photo if you have any unread PMs.

..Al

Looks great. Any plans to have a mobile version of forum?

There is a rather nice mobile skin that is automatically selected depending on the mobile device you have. It should work on the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android devices, and more.. Have you tried it yet?

..Al

Looks great. Any plans to have a mobile version of forum?

There is a rather nice mobile skin that is automatically selected depending on the mobile device you have. It should work on the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android devices, and more.. Have you tried it yet?

..Al

I'm still getting the under construction screen on my iphone.. icon_ponder.gif