IGNORED

Caves of Kroz 0.9.11 beta demo release

I would like to add a game to the intellivision 2011 home brew list: Caves of Kroz. I released the demo yesterday on the yahoo intvprog group and also on the download section of my web site home.cogeco.ca/~jadoherty.

Although it's not the full game release, the demo does have four playable levels. And the full version is expected to be released some time in the summer.

Let me know what you think.

Regards.

I've only had time to play this very briefly, but it looks great so far. Couldn't figure out how to get past the pipes in the first level, but I trust I will with time!

Thanks. That's great. And I'm looking for feedback if you want to give it -- if the puzzles are too easy or hard. I'd also like to know of any problems or bugs you've encountered. Or even what you liked or disliked.

I'd appreciate comments from anyone that might help make the final game as fun as possible.

Regards.

I tried to download and play it. but like the christmas carol game. id doesnt work for me....where is intellivisiondude to make a youtube video?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

That's a good idea. I'll make a video for it very soon.

I'm not sure why you can't get it to run. I use Joe Zbiciak's jzintv program with either Windows xp and vista, depending on which machine I'm writing the game on. I load the game with this command line:

jzintv -f0 -z1 puzzler01.rom

If you don't already use his emulator, I highly recommend getting it.

I tried to download and play it. but like the christmas carol game. id doesnt work for me....where is intellivisiondude to make a youtube video?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Talk to Dave, let him help get you set up with the emulator, and yes, why hasn't rgw made a video of this yet!!!!! :D

Wait, why didn't Christmas Carol work for you? If you need help setting up an emulator, let me know.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Ohhhh... man... why no screenshots?

Screen shots:

kroztitle.jpg

hall01.JPG

krozscreen1.jpg

shot0008b.jpg

Wow, it really does look good! Now we need a boxed with manual version of this on cart!!!! :thumbsup:

Well, that would be a very cool bonus! However, the full game still needs some work. There's problems with flickering mobs and screen transitions and some of the graphics can be improved. I still have to figure out a way to save progress (perhaps a series of hex values the player could write down.)

And then there's the 28 other rooms to design!

You could use a code, like old NES games that didn't have a battery. (Punch-out!) This game looks great! Thanks for posting the screen shots.

Yes, Sega used that method too. Glad you like the screen shots!

Hi, I tried to run this file in some emulators nostalgia, bliss, intelliware) but I haven´t sucess. What I did wrong?

You could use a code, like old NES games that didn't have a battery. (Punch-out!) This game looks great! Thanks for posting the screen shots.

Hi, I tried to run this file in some emulators nostalgia, bliss, intelliware) but I haven´t sucess. What I did wrong?

I'm not sure. I have not tried it with those emulators.

Have you tried jzintv?

I put the emulator in the same folder as the .rom or .bin and then run it with a command line like this:

jzintv -f0 -z1 gamename.rom

I actually just make a batch file with that command line and put the batch file in the same folder as the rom and the emulator. Makes things easy.

I'm not sure. I have not tried it with those emulators.

Have you tried jzintv?

I put the emulator in the same folder as the .rom or .bin and then run it with a command line like this:

jzintv -f0 -z1 gamename.rom

I actually just make a batch file with that command line and put the batch file in the same folder as the rom and the emulator. Makes things easy.

Thanks, it works. I´ll try the game.

• 2 weeks later...

knech, i dont care what you have to do...this has to make it on a cart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the props! It's nowhere near ready for a full release but I'd love to see it on a cart someday.

Someone over at beeslife/intellivision.us would help you for sure.

knech, i dont care what you have to do...this has to make it on a cart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the props! It's nowhere near ready for a full release but I'd love to see it on a cart someday.

Someone over at beeslife/intellivision.us would help you for sure.

I don't want to make any assumptions or speak out of turn, but the idea has been mentioned. In the meanwhile, I'm trying to max-out the memory limit with new puzzles, sfx and levels and also clean up the code and make the game run smoother, faster, more entertaining and bug free!

Also, my initial idea was to ship out the game with a level editor so that anyone interested could compile their own levels. That may still happen.

• 3 months later...

Bump for this....any updates???

I've completed about a quarter of the 36-40 rooms that will be available in the finished game. I'm currently looking for people interested in testing the puzzles. The problem with building the rooms myself is that I have no way of knowing the strength of these puzzles. I suspect they may be too difficult. If anyone is interested in testing a demo build of the 10-plus rooms I have already, please let me know.

--john

Bump for this....any updates???

I've completed about a quarter of the 36-40 rooms that will be available in the finished game. I'm currently looking for people interested in testing the puzzles. The problem with building the rooms myself is that I have no way of knowing the strength of these puzzles. I suspect they may be too difficult. If anyone is interested in testing a demo build of the 10-plus rooms I have already, please let me know.

--john

Sounds like I need to install jzintv on this PC. I had it on a previous one and hadn't got around to loading it on this one. I'm sure we can find you a few testers. :thumbsup: