IGNORED

Jugs help

Gregory DG

All things being equal if it works on one machine and not on another there could be a problem with the computer itself. I've seen computers with blown serial ports, so if your machine has 2 of them you might want to try the other one.

Another thing I have seen is some PC's have serial ports which are not physically soldered to the motherboard... they are located elsewhere on the back of the PC and use a ribbon cable to connect to a small connector on the motherboard. If those are not plugged in or plugged into the wrong place, then the port won't work. I've had 2 people with this problem a while ago.

Hopefully this helps!

There is something else (maybe I didn't understand the way you used jugs):

I tried jugs from win98 (DOS window) and it didn't work.

Then I shut off win and under plain DOS it worked great.

This thing didn't happen at all with another PC, running fine from both win98 AND plain DOS.

IIRC there is something about this in the jugs manual.

There is something else (maybe I didn't understand the way you used jugs):

I tried jugs from win98 (DOS window) and it didn't work.

Then I shut off win and under plain DOS it worked great.

This thing didn't happen at all with another PC, running fine from both win98 AND plain DOS.

IIRC there is something about this in the jugs manual.

I think this problem has to do with the Win98 drivers for the serial ports getting misconfigured or configured for a mouse to be connected. If you boot in DOS, the windows drivers don't load and it works fine.

The trouble happens when "plug&pray" thinks a device is installed or was installed at one time and subsequently removed. The drivers never get removed and it never works as a regular serial port then.