IGNORED

Leaderboard for Atari 8-bit

dafivehole

I read on another forum about some hardware "security key" that needs to be plugged into joystick port2. I had bought this game back in the day but I don't remember anything like this... is there a dongle or something that was required to run this game?!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :grin:

Thanks,

Roger

After doing a little research, it appears that there was a "security dongle" that had to be plugged into joystick port 2 for the game to run. I am guessing that that's why it hangs in the middle of loading :?

It seems as though the dongle simulated the joystick being pressed upwards and downwards simultaneously?!? Pretty ingenious security measure for back then...

My next question is "Does anyone have one of these?"

Thanks again,

Roger

• Like 1

I cracked that game too - there was nothing to it.

The dongle did something stupidly easy - it was something like pressing the joystick up and down at the same time, might have even been left/right.

Best bet would be to just grab a copy of the game online, then no need for dongle.

Doing guesswork isn't a good idea. If you happen to short +5V and GND that's not a good thing.

You could do it using a spare joystick - just rig it so that it's pushing in the two directions all the time.

Depending on the joystick you could either use bits of wire, or foil if it's a leaf-switch type.

But yes, trying grounding of pairs 1/2 or 3/4 whatever it happens to be should be the same as having the dongle.

I used to have that very dongle. It looked like somebody had melted a load of red wax onto a joystick connector.

Unfortunately, it was so small, I have no idea where it is now, if I even still have it.

Hmmm... that red wax thing rings a bell... maybe I do remember that thing :ponder:

And I initially thought the disk was bad :roll:

Thanks again to everyone,

Roger

I just cut off an old joystick cable and twisted the relevant wires together (in 2nd joystick port 2) ... hmm now where is it?!

On my disk I have written join pins 1,2 and 8 - you'd better check this first!

\12345 /

\6789/

p.s. It's a great game, especially funny when you put the difficulty/wind on high? and curl the ball right around, and also when it lands on the edge of the land and a little island of ground appears around the ball :)

Edited by therealbountybob

I received an original "Paperclip" in an Atari package. No "dongle." (why does that word sound so rude?)

Was there a cracked Paperclip (there was a 130XE version an a regular version), or is this the same "dongle" as leaderboard?

Was this as easy to crack as Leaderboard?

Was going to post that I thought there was also Leaderboard Tourney released, but looking on Fandal's site he has Leaderboard II listed, not sure if this needs the dongle too. Just tried his xex of Leaderboard on altirra and it runs so maybe he has taken the protection off them, he's good like that :D

Pulled my Dongle out ;-) (leaderboard)

Only pins 1,2 & 8 have connectors in them when looking carefully... Tested with a DVM and they are just all three tied together, no resistance encountered at all.

The Paperclip one is a lot more complex and reads various resistance readings on different pins.

Edited by orpheuswaking

Resistance is only really of value through the POT lines.

Strange about the simplicity of the dongle and fact you can work it out just by looking.

If they'd wanted an extra level of security for a few cents more they could have built in a simple resistor ladder that could generate multiple voltages by tying 1-4 of the PORTA lines to the POT input.

Then the software could put various bitsettings to PORTA which would alter what the POT returns.

I used to use the end of an old joystick, Just needed to cut it off and join a couple of wires together. Worked like a charm.:) Probably more likely to stay in place than a paperclip? This was back in the day ... not sure where I got the information from. No internet.

Thinking about it, all it involves (I think) is taking the +5V line and redirecting it into one of the digital inputs. A little trial and error should come up with the answer.

Edited by Tickled_Pink