IGNORED

I'm curios.....

marc.hull

Well... I can't tell you why people are not happy with the other groups, I can only tell you why I am so happy here and didn't find that joy elsewhere:

1. We are a generally small (although I am appreciative of our recent growth) group of people who are actually doing stuff - and helping - and inspiring each other.

2. We have a real sense of community - perhaps it's the "forum" nature over the "message board" type that yahoo has. This makes topics easier to consume and participate.

3. We actually produce stuff. Other groups talk about stuff - but they don't have the output to blabber we do. Guess this speaks to #1. I have not been to other places for several years, so maybe this has changed.

4. There is real camaraderie here.

5. Other than Yahoo, I don't think any other TI place has been successful. 99er.net didn't last - people don't go there much anymore.

I did read earlier that there was some dispute (if it's that much) over the handling of the upcoming Chicago TI-Fest later this year - it seemed to get a little bit political. But, that's merely my interpretation.

-Howie

I'm in the other groups as well. I think some of the attitude has to do with the fact what has happened over the years.

There was a lot of trolling going on, which -in my opinion- is now a lot better.

But I do have to say that I did feel some kind of "games and Atariage don't interest me" attitude each time Atariage was mentioned in the groups.

And we all know this place is about a lot more than just games. It's about programming, tools, hardware and having fun :)

Either way, that's the reason why I don't post in the groups that often anymore.

One benefit to the forum environment is that it lends itself to "projects" and subjects more easily than the list server. Thread hijacking is much easier in the latter as is the ability to spam/troll.

I am still a member of both list servers though I must admit I don't read the messages as religiously as I used to. Like my TI library, I find only certain things are of interest, the rest I ignore or simply eliminate.

Food for thought: which group has more active participants? more active readers?

One benefit to the forum environment is that it lends itself to "projects" and subjects more easily than the list server. Thread hijacking is much easier in the latter as is the ability to spam/troll.

I am still a member of both list servers though I must admit I don't read the messages as religiously as I used to. Like my TI library, I find only certain things are of interest, the rest I ignore or simply eliminate.

Food for thought: which group has more active participants? more active readers?

I tried other groups to get some conversation going or get a response and here at AtariAge was the first one the really responded more then once and did not take 2 months.

I used to read everything on this TI AtariAge sub-forum, - now I don't. I think it was more about game development in the first place, much more enthusiastic, now it's becoming another Yahoo to me.

Interesting view. So do you mean that a structure "TI-99/4A general" with a sub-group "TI-99/4A programming" would be better ?

That's kinda like Atariage has for most gaming systems (e.g. Colecovision).

Personally I'd like to have such structure, because now with the increasing number of topics it's getting hard to find specific programming related stuff.

It's alright with me to read what's relevant to me, and then mark the forum as read. Still the number of posts are relatively low. I think I would be more concerned about having a lot of forums being more or less inactive. You know how it is at 99er.net and ti99ers.org, you manually scan the forums for any activity.

Edited by sometimes99er

All good points. I enjoy both AA and a couple of the Y! groups.

I will say that the reason I left the Y! 99-4A group was the fact that I felt unless you were part of the original gang you were not really part of the crowd. There seemed to be two sets of rules, one for the "crowd" and one for everyone else. Kind of an exclusive club that had a bit of a gold bar shoved up it's ass.

Lately I have gotten the feeling that sometimes (the adverb not the person) AA is trending towards this kind of attitude. It may just be my perception but nonetheless, palpable in my opinion. If I am off base then feel free to say so...

Lately I have gotten the feeling that sometimes (the adverb not the person) AA is trending towards this kind of attitude. It may just be my perception but nonetheless, palpable in my opinion. If I am off base then feel free to say so...

I hope not. I don't feel that way. Seems like every new member we've gotten in the past couple of months has received huge welcomes with open arms - I'm excited about the "new blood".

If you guys want more structure and feel there's enough traffic to warrant it, I'd be glad to divide the TI 99/4A Programming forum into two forums (as most of the other systems here have). Also, if it would be useful for projects, there is a "Tracker" application that is well suited for bug tracking, suggestions, and other issues during the course of a project's development. I have it hidden at the moment as I cannot upgrade it to the newest version (which brings many improvements), but that should be resolved soon and I can then re-enable it.

..Al

I would almost say it's the TI "Curse". The same kind of curse that sometimes well-respected developers & tinkerers involved with the TI-99/4A suddenly ragequit.

99er.net's site is a total mess. Never touched the yahoo group, but that's too many hoops to jump through. This place is a lot easier. I don't see any cliquiness on the AA front here.

Let's see two TI forums. One for programming, the other for general.

I think what the Yahoo group was lacking was a sense of fun and vitality. It's more a bunch of old guard 99'ers hanging around, reminiscing about the old days. They're not really interested in software projects, they have NO interest in games.

I think AtariAge is a great place for 99'ers, and I don't see things going downhill here yet... I certainly would never snub any new visitors!

It is true that we need motivators around. I think the contests are good for group morale and to get people thinking about TI-related things.

For the next contest, I suggest we open it up a bit. Extended BASIC, 32k RAM, and up to a 90k disk of data, including the program, and maybe have a game theme. (Space, fantasy, contemporary, weird, etc.)

Adamantyr

If you guys want more structure and feel there's enough traffic to warrant it, I'd be glad to divide the TI 99/4A Programming forum into two forums (as most of the other systems here have). Also, if it would be useful for projects, there is a "Tracker" application that is well suited for bug tracking, suggestions, and other issues during the course of a project's development. I have it hidden at the moment as I cannot upgrade it to the newest version (which brings many improvements), but that should be resolved soon and I can then re-enable it.

..Al

Hi Al,

great seeing you drop by :)

Thanks for the offering. Sure want to check out the "Tracker" application. As far as the dividing in a TI-99/4A General and Programming forum is concerned, I think we are in for a new poll :)

I love Atariage :love: