IGNORED

Rainy Day Game Contest (RDGC)

adamantyr

Quick update... I have been paying attention. :) It's good to see some entries in the works... since summer is a long time and we're all going to be doing stuff outdoors a lot, I thought I'd extend the contest a few months to September 1st.

Adamantyr

Whoa! Time is flying by - what happened to July?!?!

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

• 4 weeks later...
Well, we have one submission so far... Shall I extend the contest again?

Also, I noticed your game manual has a rather "professional" look to it, Tursi... is this a port from another system?

Adamantyr

Thank you! With the quality of your own work I consider that a double compliment. But no, it's a from-scratch evening project. I don't expect it to have a chance to WIN against the other entries, but it was a fun excuse to do a game I always wanted to do anyway, and if others like it that's cool too. ;)

*** CONFUSION ***

Just discovered that this thread says (post #1):

All entries due by October 3rd, 2011

The above post has been edited: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:52 PM

and in the submission thread it says (post #1):

All submissions must be received by September 1st, 2011.

Yeah, I added another month. I'll also be coming back from vacation that week, so I'll have time to judge entries.

Adamantyr

Guess I have more time than I thought !?

:|

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry... I kind of got busy... :S

I guess I'm just lousy at organizing contests, to be honest. My apologies to everyone for not being more orderly and committed.

I'll see if I can do a quick review of the entries and offer my feedback. I don't have any prizes to offer (some board individuals offered them a long time ago, and I honestly don't know if they're still up to the offer), but I owe you an honest feedback of your efforts at the least!

Edited by adamantyr

Sorry... I kind of got busy, with an engagement to a lovely girl and a busy holiday season. :S

I guess I'm just lousy at organizing contests, to be honest. My apologies to everyone for not being more orderly and committed.

I'll see if I can do a quick review of the entries and offer my feedback. I don't have any prizes to offer (some board individuals offered them a long time ago, and I honestly don't know if they're still up to the offer), but I owe you an honest feedback of your efforts at the least!

Hmmmmm... that's an unfortunate ending to your contest Adam.... Maybe a new admin could do the judginging and prize distrobution since your now too busy....

Sorry... I kind of got busy, with an engagement to a lovely girl and a busy holiday season. :S

The item I offered up is still available packed up because at the time, there didn't seem to be enough contestants to meet the prize qualifications. ;(

• Like 1

The item I offered up is still available packed up because at the time, there didn't seem to be enough contestants to meet the prize qualifications. ;(

Seems you got the prize and they got the time..... Year after year.....we got ther beer.....

How about Tim becomes the RGGC chairman ;-).... 1 vote for Tim......

Seems you got the prize and they got the time..... Year after year.....we got ther beer.....

How about Tim becomes the RGGC chairman ;-).... 1 vote for Tim......

Negative, sir, not in the cards.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Let me offer up an idea I may turn into a game, as an "does not qualify for a prize" entry, since I'd be a judge...

My brother had a game on his Color Computer called "Stellar Empires". It was a turn based multi-player game in which you took control of star systems, which increased resource output and allowed you to build warships with which to take over systems or defeat other players. The span between systems (on a 2D coordinate map) determined how many turns before ships could arrive, so you had to reinforce border systems periodically in case of attack. Basically a simplified version of Risk, in space. It had an AI player, but I honestly don't think it did much other than issue silly threats in the message system.

I've taken a stab at writing this for the TI once or twice in the past... the last time was 6-7 years ago in an early Classic99 build. I've also written a version in Java using object-oriented design as a console application, which was entertaining... nobody had ever really planned Java to be used for DOS-style apps, it lacks fundamental key controls.

For the TI version, my target platform would be Extended BASIC, with 32k RAM required. I'd probably offload graphics definitions and other static data to disk in order to free up space for game code. I'd really like to try and make a "smart" AI player like my Java version was, although it may process too slowly to be fun in Extended BASIC.

I'd want to add some new features as well, such as different warship types, an alterable tax rate (increase production at the expense of greater risk of rebellions), and ship battles that are more complicated. In the original game, the side with the more ships automatically won and destroyed the other fleet, while taking some losses, a tie meant all ships were destroyed. I'd rather that a defeated fleet suffer greater losses, and retreat to the closest owned system.

Obviously, multi-player games where one of the players has to turn away while the other takes their turn are a bit old-school... but I don't think I want to tackle a "modem" version right now... on the TI especially, this is pretty complicated. Which is why I'd want a smart A.I., so a single player can pit himself against a computer opponent.

Sound intriguing?

Adamantyr

This is *way* off-topic, I know, but yours is one of the few online references to the Color Computer BASIC game "Stellar Empires" that inspired me to get into computer programming. Basically, I "cut my teeth" teaching myself BASIC programming by tinkering with that game. This is a very long-shot, I know, but I'm wondering if you or your brother have any idea how to locate a copy of that game now? I still have my original TRS-80 Color Computer (in mostly working order) and have gotten a couple of CoCo emulators up and running on my more modern computers and would *love* to somehow locate a copy of that ancient (but for me still very significant) BASIC game.