IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - new IDE host adapter

drac030

ok now i will go sit by the mail box and wait...

(last time this happened, the kids had to bring my meals out to me... and mrs wasnt happy...)

I hope the weather is good!

priorities...

sloopy.

From what I know, simius has already started sending the hardware. I have to tell you in advance, that the firmware he has programmed into the interface's flash ROMs is an alpha version which is not fully functional, i.e. not everything, that is selectable in the menu, really works. There is no code to handle slave disk, and the "US SIO" you will be able to see on the configuration display, does not work.

Also, there is no documentation, I am very sorry for that. If something is unclear or not self-evident, simply ask here. The key information is that holding START during reset (either cold or warm) brings the configuration menu to the screen. The settings are saved in the RTC's memory. To partition the disk, please use IDEa's FDISK for now (available on my website, on IDE utilities image).

If someone has a disk already partitioned for IDEa, there is one warning: due to differences in sector mapping between IDEa and IDE+, only partitions with 512-byte logical sectors (i.e. partitions for SpartaDOS X 4.4) are interchangeable between these two devices. The rest (128- and 256-byters) will get screwed. So better back up everything before.

Also, due to the same reason (differences in sector mapping), any new partitions created on the IDE+ with the old (IDEa's) FDISK must be assigned twice as much logical sectors as it seems required. This only applies to partitions with 128 and 256 bytes per sector. For example:

1) to create a partition with 65535 sectors, 256 bytes each, you tell the FDISK to allocate 131070 logical sectors, 256 bytes each. But,

2) to create a partition with 65535 sectors, 512 bytes each, you tell the FDISK to allocate 65535 logocal sectors, 512 bytes each.

The reason for all the delays is that I had almost no time for coding recently. Nevertheless, as the BIOS ROM is flashable, I'll distribute updates either here or on my websit, starting the next week.

Edited by drac030

This depends :) You'll certainly have to setup 256-byte partitions anew, as they, as I said, get screwed (the FS becomes unreadable and they appear twice as short as they are). However, I don't think there will be any future compatibility issues, because the new BIOS has its own, new partition table layout, and uses it internally. IDEa's partition table, when it is found on the disk, only gets (again: internally) converted to that new format, of course only to the extent to which it is possible (hence the unreadable 256-byters).

Edited by drac030

Yes. The BIOS provides low-level API, i.e. a program can access the entire "raw" disk via the standard SIOV entry. I also thought that it may be worth adding code that detects SDX-MyIDE partition table and converts it to the new format, so that one could interchange media between these two devices.

I also thought that it may be worth adding code that detects SDX-MyIDE partition table and converts it to the new format, so that one could interchange media between these two devices.

Well, why not. I'd be happy to write something to convert things in the opposite direction (to the SDX MyIDE format), although I can't see there being any demand for it. I think the MyIDE driver I spent so much time on has built-in, instant obsolescence. :sad:

Edited by flashjazzcat

Toshiba disk is mentioned because that's the one I use. I also tested this with IBM DARA-21200, no problems. Also I know that trub has sucessfully used a CF card, but I don't know, which model.

Generally, there never has been a 1 GB limit with KMK/JŻ IDE or IDEa. Those were only limited to 8 GB because of using CHS addressing, and because disks do not allow to address more than 8 GB using CHS (CHS, however, in theory can address 128 GB). The new BIOS uses 28-bit LBA addressing, so it is internally capable of addressing up to 128 GB.

But, until new FDISK is programmed, the old one only allows to use 8 GB for partitions (the amount usually visible for CHS).

Generally, there should be no problems using any disk produced from 1996 onwards. Older disks may only support CHS, which new BIOS does not know. In this case one will have to use legacy firmware (IDEa BIOS v.1.11 or so). If there is some demand, I'll include the CHS support in the new BIOS as well.

There is a problem with using some more modern laptop drives with our older systems -- the (power-saving) spin-down interval is not controllable. This can normally be set in a Win (and presumably) Mac laptop environment. I wonder if it would be feasible to include a setting for this in the firmware or as a stand-alone utility? My older drives don't have any problem, but 5400 rpm drives do. Since the "default" configuration seems to be for a 44-pin notebook interface, I think this would be a useful option.

I also wonder if 1.8" drives have this same issue? (I've never owned a 1.8" drive.)

Really looking forward to getting this interface/adapter!

-Larry

I would like to use a SD card instead of a noisy power-hungry hard disk.

Which IDE to SD adapter should I buy?

Are such things guaranteed to work, or even tested with this interface? Certainly don't buy the one I obtained for the MyIDE, which didn't work and stopped operating altogether after ten minutes. :(

I would like to use a SD card instead of a noisy power-hungry hard disk.

Which IDE to SD adapter should I buy?

Are such things guaranteed to work, or even tested with this interface? Certainly don't buy the one I obtained for the MyIDE, which didn't work and stopped operating altogether after ten minutes. :(

GoodByte XL used one for CF Cards with the MSC IDE, which works flawlessly. YellowMan from ABBUC is going to test an adpapter with the IDE Plus 2.0 today, I am waiting for this too, because I don´t know which adapter to buy. I´ll ask him for his recommendation if his tests are successful and post it here.

GoodByte XL used one for CF Cards with the MSC IDE, which works flawlessly. YellowMan from ABBUC is going to test an adpapter with the IDE Plus 2.0 today, I am waiting for this too, because I don´t know which adapter to buy. I´ll ask him for his recommendation if his tests are successful and post it here.

I would certainly hope to see a wide range of IDE to CF adapters working without issue. However, IDE to SD adapters seem to be a different kettle of fish. I look forward to hearing the test results!

Myself tested the following:

http://www.vesalia.d...de25cfx2hdd.htm

Works without any problems. CF Card I used was Transcend 2GB (80X) and Transcend 4GB (133x).

Man that is nice, wonder what board is inside it tho?

Sloopy if you decide to bite let me know and I might go in on the order with you.