IGNORED

Wizardry on the PS3

cimerians

A few more for good measure. These are just Wizardry images and the very first classic D&D images I thought of after seeing them. And yes, for anyone who missed it, I'm taking the piss. Everyone is perfectly within their rights to not want this game because of the art style. I'm just reacting to the automatic hatred towards "anime art." If the classic D&D artists had been digital artists instead of painters, their stuff would look even more like the Wizadry images.

And the last two are an example of how Japanese fantasy artists never, ever take any inspiration from Western sources. :roll:

so,does anyone know for sure if this is gonna be a download game or actual disc?i hope its an actual disc.

It's a download game, which I admit is kind of a bummer. Still, since it's Wizardry, XSeed, and it looks really spiffy, I'll probably buy it even if it's one of those godforsaken $40 downloadable games. I just don't know when I'll be able to commit to playing it. Historically, Wizardry games are not short by any means.

@moycon and @cimmerians

Regarding Bisley and Frazzetta...

I've never really liked Simon Bisley art. It's not a hatred or anything. It's just not something I prefer. His art was used in Weaponlord which I thought looked like shit. My complaint with the graphics in Weaponlord wasn't really the art (it fit the 90s near perfectly), but with how poorly his designs were realized in the game. You couldn't even tell what half the shit was and it was all in minimal color. But if there was a modern game about barbarians in some brutal age of death metal and magic, I'd want Bisley to do the design work.

Frazetta is another one I don't really like, and I know that's absolute sacriledge. In fact, I recently had a discussion with a coworker about this. Frazetta is his favorite artist, and we discussed some signature Frazetta pieces, particularly "Death Dealer." I gave him a set of Frazetta collector cards I had purchased in the early 90s. It's all good.

In terms of my preference of art, I prefer a clean, high detail style. I find the steroid abuse/testosterone overload/overmuscled style to be distasteful. This explains why I don't really enjoy Bisley and Frazetta because they have what I consider a very sketchy (only word I can t hink of to describe it) and muscular/bulbous look to their pieces. However, Frazetta isn't always like this, and there are a few pieces which don't put me off that way. On the other hand, I do enjoy Vallejo art. It's probably because its a cleaner and more airbrushed look, plus it's faily similar to pin-up art which I like the style of. Vallejo certainly does his subjects muscular, but they're sleeker, and I feel more aesthetically pleasing because of it. (but I think Frazetta art is probably "deeper" while Vallejo is primarily just "cool fantasy bodybuilders")

I really have no issue with anime.

In fact I like it. One of my favorite flicks of all time time is Warriors of the Wind (AKA : (風の谷のナウシカ, Kaze no Tani no Naushika (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind)

I think that movie kicks ass!! (Even if most anime fans don't)

That said, Wizardry... when it was popular in America was definitely not anime oriented.

To reintroduce it to American audiences with anime graphic seems kind of misguided.

If you slapped Frazzetta or Vallejo or a newbie with a similar style, you're going to appeal to a wider western audience in my opinion.

This is a Wizardry game ...Not The Castle of Cagliostro RPG

That said, I'm still going to purchase it...hoping it's not $40

I like the whole Sword and Sorcery genre of art (which arguably began with Frazetta and his Conan pieces etc.) so Boris, Bisley....you name it. I like it all. LOL

If I had to be critical:

I like older Vallejo art. The modern oiled muscle look doesn't really appeal. I'm not a big fan of modern Wizards\D&D art at all. Not in the least. All the old TSR artists were fanatastic especially Elmore and Parkinson.

Anyway. I like anime as well but not the Fruits Basket type stuff. :P

Ninja Scroll, Hayao Miyazaki, Akira...legendary stuff like that. :)

I'm just happy someone, somewhere is keeping dungeon crawls alive. I love the 1st person turn based party style. (Bards Tale, Might & Magic, Wizardry etc)

Now if only an old SSI Goldbox game can be remade. :P

One of my favorite flicks of all time time is Warriors of the Wind (AKA : (風の谷のナウシカ, Kaze no Tani no Naushika (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind) I think that movie kicks ass!! (Even if most anime fans don't)

Have you seen the unedited Nausicaä? I don't think any anime fan thinks poorly of it; it's the edits made for Warriors of the Wind that fans object to. Nausicaä happens to be my favorite Miyazaki film, and that was even before Patrick Stewart was in it. :P

Anyway. I like anime as well but not the Fruits Basket type stuff. :P

Do you mean that you don't like anime comedies or that you don't like, well, material targeted at girls? The latter would be fairly common for males, I'd imagine.

onmode-ky

Have you seen the unedited Nausicaä? I don't think any anime fan thinks poorly of it; it's the edits made for Warriors of the Wind that fans object to. Nausicaä happens to be my favorite Miyazaki film, and that was even before Patrick Stewart was in it. :P

Do you have more info on that like where to buy a copy of the unedited version? I love all his stuff and I dont think I have seen an unedited version of Nausicaä

Do you mean that you don't like anime comedies or that you don't like, well, material targeted at girls? The latter would be fairly common for males, I'd imagine.

onmode-ky

I love the comedy but its geared towards females (shōjo manga) and I cant really sit through it all. :ponder:

It is hilarious though.....

Have you seen the unedited Nausicaä? I don't think any anime fan thinks poorly of it; it's the edits made for Warriors of the Wind that fans object to.

No I haven't.

I did see the Blu-Ray Gabriel posted a link to a few weeks back and to be honest kind of noted it and then forgot about it.

I'm glad he mentioned it, just bought a copy and I'm going to be checking this out soon for sure now.

Do you have more info on that like where to buy a copy of the unedited version? I love all his stuff and I dont think I have seen an unedited version of Nausicaä

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CRR9G0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004CRR9G0

Thanks, I just got it. Cant wait to check it out. Blu Ray no less!

It would be most fortuitious if this would come out in the next week or so.

I am FINALLY about to finish Xenosaga III, and therefore the Xenosaga trilogy. I'm in the home stretch, and will soon find myself picking a new RPG to play. I had been thinking about diving back into Phantasy Star 1, so I was already thinking along the lines of a corridor crawler.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember playing the last Wizardy series when it was released by Sir-Tech Canada. It would be great to have it remade with the cool images above (I especially liked the one with the blue dragon in the background. I do hope that they decide to release it in the US.

I especially liked the one with the blue dragon in the background.

I believe you're talking about Dragons of Winter Night by Larry Elmore. It was the original cover to the Dragonlance Chronicles book of the same subtitle. Despite the fact that it's a rather static and arbitrary piece, it's probably my favorite bit of fantasy art.

http://www.wizardryps3.com/

Official site has opened up. Lots of manga pics to look at. :lol:

Check out the system and history section. Looks like you can customize your PC a lot.

History section:

Wizardry 1 - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

Platforms: (U.S.) Apple ][, Commodore 64, NES, MSX-2, TurboGrafx-CD, Super Famicom

Date Released: 1981

Since when did Wizardry 1 come out on the TurboGrafx? Its probably a Japanese version like the Super Famicom. Nice that they talk about Sir-Tech and look at the origins of this series.

Lots of manga pics to look at. :lol:

Wow! A Harrypottercorn! Neat-o!

post-2851-0-37947300-1304801100_thumb.jpg

Oh, wait, that's a Gnome. I forgot that Gnomes also have horns growing out of the middle of their foreheads. :dunce:

I always have my Gnomes polled.

At least the Dwarves are easy to recognize. They nailed the look of this one, except for the eyes. They need to be bigger, IMO.

post-2851-0-79994100-1304801111_thumb.jpg

BTW

At least the Dwarves are easy to recognize. They nailed the look of this one, except for the eyes. They need to be bigger, IMO.

I'm not denying that one is strongly Japanese influenced, bt find me a consensus on what dwarven women look like, and I'll bring us world peace. Just ask some people the question as to whether dwarf ladies have beards and you'll start a shitstorm of epic proportions.

BTW

I'm not denying that one is strongly Japanese influenced, bt find me a consensus on what dwarven women look like, and I'll bring us world peace. Just ask some people the question as to whether dwarf ladies have beards and you'll start a shitstorm of epic proportions.

I always thought they had beards.

Until I played Dragon Age. :ponder: