IGNORED

Ebay and Insurance question

coyo5050

So I purchased an item on Ebay and the seller demanded I pay extra for insurance. I thought it was a little odd but for the extra $2 I was like whatever. Got the item and it was damaged and thought that was a weird coincidence. Told seller who was more than happy to make a claim and said would refund me when he got the money. I said as long as less than 45 days otherwise I file a dispute. So yesterday seller tells me he got insurance check and says he will send me $75 and I keep it or I have to return it to get my refund. So right now he has my paypal payment and insurance, so he has DOUBLE the money. I told him I am not paying to send this worthless thing back for him to try and sell it again and pull the same stunt on the next buyer. I opened a claim and said I want a refund, the response was send the item back and then I will get a refund. I escalated it. Am I missing something, isn't the point of insurance for seller to refund me and keep insurance claim?? This does not require me to send the item back right for him to try and scam someone else? He obviously benefits by getting his full payment and I get a broken item. I did pay by CC, so I figure I have that as the next option too.

Thanks

Edited by coyo5050

That seems odd, so he got an insurance claim without any proof that the item was damaged? For USPS, don't have you have to bring the damaged item and packaging into a post office in order to file a claim? I'm pretty sure UPS and FedEx would also require some physical evidence. Also, I'm not sure how long such a scam would work, as whatever company he's shipping through would figure out this scam pretty quickly.

..Al

I did pay by paypal. If I send item back I am out shipping costs and after he refunds my money he gets to keep the insurance money how does that make sense. USPS can claim the item not him. What if USPS does/did claim item, I wouldnt even be able to send the item back any way. The item is now worthless I dont know what his problem is and why he demanding it back. For all I know he will try and resell it and scam someone else.

He refused to refund my money when I requested that first and said he would only do insurance claim. Now that he got an insurance check I can see why. Right now he has DOUBLE the money paid.

Edited by coyo5050

I did pay by paypal. If I send item back I am out shipping costs and after he refunds my money he gets to keep the insurance money how does that make sense.

This is Ebay / PayPal's policy and you're absolutely right, it does not make sense.

IMO, a good seller would pay for the return shipping on an item damaged in shipping or one returned because it didn't match the description. Ebay doesn't force them to, though and in fact makes it harder to do. The seller has to issue the refund, then do a seperate PayPal transaction for the return shipping. The refund can't be more than the original payment. It would be so easy for them to allow this and then charge the refunder the appropriate fee on the overage.

When I say it doesn't make sense, I mean the buyer being out the return shipping on a damaged item.

It does make sense to me that the item should be returned if the seller wants it, but they should foot the bill and Ebay / Paypal should make it easy for them to do so.

Does this seller care about negative feedback?

Sounds like you'll at least get your money back, but lose the shipping to send it back? Will you lose the original shipping TO you, as well?

I suggest you attempt to extort the seller for the shipping, at the threat of negative feedback, 1-start detailed-seller-ratings, and a smut campaign against him.