IGNORED

5 screw NES games

I have come across a few of these in the past, and wondered about them but I have never asked any questions or looked more into it. I forget about it, so here I am.

What is the story with these? I just assumed some games were like that when I first saw it, then I noticed that there are games that have 5 and 3 screw case with the same art and everything. Whats up? Are they worth more money? Is there a list of games that have a 5 screw case?

Any info would be nice, I'm just wondering what the deal is. I didn't notice them as a child when I was playing them new, but I keep finding them in my collection now.

• Like 1

5 Screw NES games were just an early design choice. No particular reason behind them. I suppose later Nintendo wanted to ease production costs a bit by replacing two screws with a little more plastic. Only the guys at Nintendoage have an interest in small variants like a 5 screw MTPO or Mega Man. Those particular titles are probably just anomalies considering their rarity. I wouldn't worry about NES variants if I were you, again only the ADD kids at Nintendoage care about them.

I buy the 5 screw NES carts whenever I can. I have a Pinball cart that has the Famicom adapter inside. I don't have any Famicom games, but have seen pictures of these inserted in a NES front loader with Famicom cart inserted into the back pins.

I just don't know how many Famicom games might interest me anyway, since I don't read Japanese at all.

i have one that used to be a gyromite and now has one of those 30 in 1 famiclone carts

That is pretty freaking cool. I'mma have to look into that.

it was pretty easy to do - you have to cut a litte of the interior tab to get the famicon card to fit, but finished it looks great .

5 Screw NES games were just an early design choice. No particular reason behind them. I suppose later Nintendo wanted to ease production costs a bit by replacing two screws with a little more plastic. Only the guys at Nintendoage have an interest in small variants like a 5 screw MTPO or Mega Man. Those particular titles are probably just anomalies considering their rarity. I wouldn't worry about NES variants if I were you, again only the ADD kids at Nintendoage care about them.

That's a mite harsh... I like having 5 screw games.... :?

• Like 1

So you're on Atariage talking about how obsessive Nintendo collectors are. Have you met any Atari collectors? Anyway, NA has a pretty good list of all the 5 screws. There is interest in these because they are the earliest carts produced for the most part. There are a few anomalies though which makes it even more interesting.

5 screw list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=12044

• Like 1

I guess if there are two copies of the same game and the same price I would favor the 5 screw just because it is different. I know the very first time I saw this was when I got Ice Climber for the last season of the NES HSC. Looking at the shelf and seeing a game without the clips on top of the case was a bit of a shock. For a while I assumed it was just that game, then I was going through some doubles and found two copies of Spy Hunter, one that was normal and a 5 screw. So I kept the 5 screw.