IGNORED

Q*bert Arcade hack

RevEng

Here's my update on 2600 Q*bert. Changes from stock Q*bert rom include:

• replaced the lives remaining graphic with a mini Q*bert
  • colored the lives same as the player
  • added a title screen. In attract mode the display alternates between the title screen and the pyramid.
  • added AtariVox support. Q*bert falling and Q*bert getting hit now have voice effects.
  • updated the font
  • converted to F8 bankswitching.
post-23476-0-42486300-1301094639_thumb.png post-23476-0-37138900-1301094647_thumb.png

Enjoy...

qbert-arcade.20150115.zip

(NTSC and PAL60 versions included)

• Like 12

I love it! Those touches took it from good to great. :)

edit: I especially love the blinking eyes on the title screen.

Thanks KevinMos3!

As a youth I was supremely impressed when Sonic the Hedgehog would cross his arms and tap his foot when you didn't press the controller after a while. I love the little details.

Nice job :)

BTW I added a few touches to the game in the Supercharger thread (to flicker the upper lines at 30hz when characters are up there so the score/reserve lives do not disappear). You can use that if you want to.

Ah, before I started this hack I did a forum search, but didn't find anything. Hah, funny that we both decided to color the reserve lives. :D

Thanks for the offer... I'll take a look!

The flicker code I used is incomplete, but the remaining issues could probably be ironed out quickly by looking at better-commented disassemblies.

This is what I did...I used the unused ram location $FC as a framecounter (I never bothered to track down the real one). The edit only required 14 bytes, which could have been shorter using LSR and branching on carry status instead.

LB106:
      INC    $FC                     ;5 added line

LDA    $C3                     ;3 existing line
      CMP    #$37                    ;2 ""
;       BCC    LB170                   ;2 ""
      BCS    LB171                   ;2 altered line

;added lines...
      LDA    $FC                     ;3
      AND    #$01                    ;2
      BNE    LB170                   ;2
LB171:

;added lines...
      LDA    $FC                     ;3
      AND    #$01                    ;2
      BEQ    LB1D3                   ;2

LDX    #$15                    ;2 existing line
LB1A6:

Here's my update on 2600 Q*bert. Changes from stock Q*bert rom include:

• replaced the lives remaining graphic with a mini Q*bert
  • colored the lives same as the player
  • added a title screen. In attract mode the display alternates between the title screen and the pyramid.
  • added AtariVox support. Q*bert falling and Q*bert getting hit now have voice effects.
  • updated the font
  • converted to F8 bankswitching.

Enjoy...

Great hack! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Corby & roadrunner! Nukey, that should make it easier, for sure - thanks!

At some point I'm going to try to come up with a general savekey/atarivox high-score table routine... this hack will definitely be the place I try it out first.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Not really. Displaying Ugg and Wrongway would require an all-new display kernel, and likely some kind of hardware assistance, like DPC+ or bus stuffing. (or else it would be a flickerfest) Either way it would be easier to start from scratch than to twist and shape the existing 2600 q*bert code.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I went ahead and got this on cart and am glad I did. RevEng made changes that really add to an already great game. The sound effects are so enticing to hear, I've found myself steering Qbert off the edge just to hear him fall or into Coily to hear him curse. Love the change of font to the score as well, it makes running up the score somehow more fun. All around a great hack and glad RevEng took the time to make it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Does anyone have a version that will work on the Atari Flashback Portable? In Stella, it acted strangeley as well. Haven't tried it on Harmony Cart yet, but in Flashback Portable, you can't advance to the next level. In Stella, it displayed parts of the screen and had half squares colored, half uncolored. I like the level one animation and it seems better to play than the original port.

post-19460-0-11016300-1483231984_thumb.jpg

Edited by orion1052003

Stella 4.1.1. Previously I tried clicking the file while in the OS, from a folder, not in Stella. I tried it by right clicking and 'opening with' (stella) and it actually showed parts of the desktop and parts of the game, and the half colored squares. I put it in the roms folder where Stella expects it be, opened Stella, selected qbert arcade, and it played fine. Lots of stuff either won't run or runs crazy on the 'flashback' portable. some games work right, though and I've had success with projectors so far. I met the guy who created Q-bert. Nice guy. I wonder what he thinks of the 2600 version, and what would he think of this?

My opinion is it's cool! %*&^

post-19460-0-29152300-1483348794_thumb.jpg

Edited by orion1052003