IGNORED

Porky's Mysteries.... And a Question About FOX Video Games

Stan

So, got my replacement copy of Porky's from an eBay seller who's really awesome. Haven't tested it yet. However, I noticed something that I have never seen before. I own several FOX games, and this is the fourth copy of Porky's I've owned. However, it's the ONLY copy of a FOX game I've seen that has the FOX logo embedded into the cartridge on the reverse side of the label. I'm judging by the number of Porky's I've seen and owned that it's not common. Which other cartridges have the logo? Was it an earlier print run and then they went with a regular casing later to save money? Another thing of note is that the PCB looks to be maybe just a little thicker than the other versions I have. Thoughts?

Yep just checked... my Porkys and MASH both have the logo, none of the others do.

Only missing about 3-4 Fox games.

Bank Heist would be a game I'd like to get soon.

Many Fox games I really like,

Fantastic Voyage

Porkys (cheap but addicting)

MASH

Alien

Crypts of Chaos

Worm War I

Flash Gordon (although often not liked by others)

I'd like Beany Bopper, if the score didn't roll at 100ks.

I wanna play Mega Force and learn that game, I am not sure if it's

good or not.

Other ones by Fox that gamers seem to like,

Turmoil (a highly regarded game)

Fast Eddie

Beefsteak Tomatoes (is this sorta hinting at killer tomatoes?)

The one I don't like,

Deadly Duck = yuck! lol. It's too easy and boring.

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

Yep just checked... my Porkys and MASH both have the logo, none of the others do.

Only missing about 3-4 Fox games.

Bank Heist would be a game I'd like to get soon.

Many Fox games I really like,

Fantastic Voyage

Porkys (cheap but addicting)

MASH

Alien

Crypts of Chaos

Worm War I

Flash Gordon (although often not liked by others)

I'd like Beany Bopper, if the score didn't roll at 100ks.

I wanna play Mega Force and learn that game, I am not sure if it's

good or not.

Other ones by Fox that gamers seem to like,

Turmoil (a highly regarded game)

Fast Eddie

Beefsteak Tomatoes (is this sorta hinting at killer tomatoes?)

The one I don't like,

Deadly Duck = yuck! lol. It's too easy and boring.

I like Deadly Duck. It's only too easy for master HSC Atarians like yourself. :)

Go to my link for all variations that are known. If you have something not listed, let me know and get me scans of the games. Thanks.

20th Century Fox Variations

Phil

I didn't know about this site. Thanks.

edit --- just noticed the thread about giant variation photo website

Edited by Gorfy

Thanks guys. Didn't think it was rare or anything. I'll be more interested if it works, the other three were rolling. Bank Heist is an incredible game. I'd play it over Pacman any day. At first it seems silly until you get the mechanics down and understand how it works. Awesome. Crypts of Chaos is easily FOX's worst game. The graphics are terrible, they make it impossible to tell where you're going most of the time, and the gameplay is totally weak. It's so lame. Revenge of the Beafsteak Tomatoes is, in fact, hinting at the Attack of the Killer Tomatoes series. It's an interesting game and pretty good once you get the hang of what's going on.

MASH, well, it's okay, I like some of the concepts, but it doesn't have any replay value because there's no scoring system. It's more like Fishing Derby in the way it's arranged. The surgery parts are cool, but wasted on an otherwise boring game.

Mega Force is a good game once you understand what to do. It's pretty similar to Chopper Command and other games like that, though.

Turmoil and Fast Eddie, just awesome. I'm still on the fence about Deadly Duck. The game has awesome box art, I like the idea behind it, but really it's just a combination of Space Invaders and something like Phoenix when it comes down to it. It's pretty easy too, and it gets frustrating because the crabs move back and forth so much when you have that one left it's annoying when it takes like ten minutes to hit it. Plus, by staying all the way on the right or left you can easily beat the levels quickly even on the advanced setting. What do you mean by the score rolling at 100K in Beany Bopper? I like that game, I was pretty sure that it only gets tougher when you get there and the play gets faster with invisible barries and such. I don't remember the score rolling when I got that high.

I found a mint loose SpaceMaster X-7 about a month ago.I never noticed the embedded Fox logo.I just looked at my Porky's copy and yes, it has the embedded logo. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rik

It's interesting, I wonder the story behind it. Question I have right now, which I'm about to figure out at the moment, is whether or not the logo embossed (if I may call it that) cartridge variants works. If it does, I suspect my eyeing of the PCB size was correct.

Great. Another undocumented cart variation to collect.

Undocumented? All the 20th century fox variations that I know of are on the site with the link in my above posting. Soon enough, everything will be documented in my easy to use site. It's just so difficult to keep up with everything and have other commitments.

Phil

Nope. I have two separate units, both in perfect working order. I keep them very clean. If it was the unit, I would assume more than one game would fail. All of my games worked, I ran through all of them. It's only THIS game. A further step in the mystery. Listen to this shit.

So I was like, feck it, I'll play it rolling, I don't care. Of course, I did, but at any rate thing was I let the demo run longer than I usually would. As it plays, Pee Wee will go through a couple of motions, including jumping on the dynamite plunger to blow up Porky's bar. Here's the weird part. When he does this, just as you see in the ending, the screen blinks and there is an explosion effect. When this happens, the game begins to STOP ROLLING. The screen starts to adjust and then evens out, but once the demo starts to loop, it begins to roll again. Proof that it's the game itself, because this same phenomenon happens with EVERY copy of Porky's now in my possession, all four of them.

Nope. I have two separate units, both in perfect working order. I keep them very clean. If it was the unit, I would assume more than one game would fail. All of my games worked, I ran through all of them. It's only THIS game. A further step in the mystery. Listen to this shit.

So I was like, feck it, I'll play it rolling, I don't care. Of course, I did, but at any rate thing was I let the demo run longer than I usually would. As it plays, Pee Wee will go through a couple of motions, including jumping on the dynamite plunger to blow up Porky's bar. Here's the weird part. When he does this, just as you see in the ending, the screen blinks and there is an explosion effect. When this happens, the game begins to STOP ROLLING. The screen starts to adjust and then evens out, but once the demo starts to loop, it begins to roll again. Proof that it's the game itself, because this same phenomenon happens with EVERY copy of Porky's now in my possession, all four of them.

Okay, after a quick peek at Porky's in Stella, I can see the problem is actually with your TV. Porky's has a bit more scanlines than usual, and it's causing your TV to roll.

You'll need to play a fixed version of Porky's on a Harmony cart, or use a different TV.

• Like 1

Crypts of Chaos is easily FOX's worst game. The graphics are terrible, they make it impossible to tell where you're going most of the time, and the gameplay is totally weak. It's so lame.

MASH, well, it's okay, I like some of the concepts, but it doesn't have any replay value because there's no scoring system. It's more like Fishing Derby in the way it's arranged. The surgery parts are cool, but wasted on an otherwise boring game.

Mega Force is a good game once you understand what to do. It's pretty similar to Chopper Command and other games like that, though.

Turmoil and Fast Eddie, just awesome. I'm still on the fence about Deadly Duck. The game has awesome box art, I like the idea behind it, but really it's just a combination of Space Invaders and something like Phoenix when it comes down to it. It's pretty easy too, and it gets frustrating because the crabs move back and forth so much when you have that one left it's annoying when it takes like ten minutes to hit it. Plus, by staying all the way on the right or left you can easily beat the levels quickly even on the advanced setting. What do you mean by the score rolling at 100K in Beany Bopper? I like that game, I was pretty sure that it only gets tougher when you get there and the play gets faster with invisible barries and such. I don't remember the score rolling when I got that high.

I like Crypts of Chaos, those cool weird music melodies for each dungeon creature, the weapons selection and collecting the gold. However, I agree it's too difficult to tell where you are and they really needed to number the floors so you can remember how far you've gone...big mistake. For 1982 though, it's not too bad. Better then Swordquest series by Atari and Private Eye by Activision, I mean.. driving a car in daytime, I get more lost then in the Crypts! lol... but Private Eye has forgiving early cases...the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd. Those are too easy though, and solving the cases is ungratifying.

Then levels 4-5 are hell, especially 5, I wanted to pull my f***** hair out... :x

MASH, has a scoring system, just not by points but by rounds and paitents saved??

I dunno can't recall but it does keep count of progress, I like Fishing Derby, that's an oldie but goodie to me.

Turmoil, has good pick up and play shooter style... kinda fast like Spider Fighter but with much better difficulty curve.

Fast Eddie I used to like more untill I realized I could milk the ladders the whole game, and roll the score... (although I gave in at 50ks) Just run up and down 'em untill you get a clearing to nab the floating objects... I prefer, Adventures of Tron.

I feel the exact same way about Deadly Duck, just stay left or right.. and shooting the bricks counts too much on your score, and leads to a rolling pretty quick.

I thought Beany Bopper rolled at 100ks, but maybe I'm wrong... it does play like it's broken at 100ks though! lol, I always get killed soon after the lights go out.

If I was to say the worst Fox game, it would probably be Beany Bopper, it's got a plain box background (minimal) and not much to the game at all... even if I enjoy playing it. ;)

Okay, after a quick peek at Porky's in Stella, I can see the problem is actually with your TV. Porky's has a bit more scanlines than usual, and it's causing your TV to roll.

You'll need to play a fixed version of Porky's on a Harmony cart, or use a different TV.

It's possible, but very very doubtful this is the cause. My TV is a Sharp, from the mid 1980s. Thing is, my first copy of Porky's WORKED, and only recently stopped working. So it actually functioned just fine at first and started to roll, then I tried the others. It's possible I suppose, but just strange to me this would be the reason. I would think a TV from that era would be totally fine.