IGNORED

Neo Geo MVS Metal Slug X Does not work!

Ok,

So, I bought a Neo Geo MVS cart from a reputable guy and it didn't work. I tried using my Phantom One Neo Geo MVS to AES converter and no go..All i get it a black screen with some light flashing at the top and bottom...No game play what so ever...

Then I go and buy a Super MVS Neo Geo MVS to AES converter from a reputable Lady. I try out the same Metal Slug X cart and get the same results.....

Months go by and I finally had a shot to pick up another Metal Slug X MVS cart. Same Game..Different color casing..No big deal. I start over with the same converters and the same Neo Geo system and I am getting the same results.

Does anyone know if Metal Slug X just doesn't work with the Aes console or if I might need to buy that ac cable for the Super MVS converter?

I am at a loss here....

On a key note....I have a 111 in 1 MVS cart. It has Metal Slug X on it.....I can play Metal Slug X using my converter and this Multi cart.....

Thanks

That games will only work on the AES systems that were originally 5 volt systems with the converter. I think you need the phantom 2 as well.

I did a lot of reading on the topic as I'm still hoping to buy an AES from a member here and that seems to be the general topic of discussion with the converters.

There seems to be a way to convert a 9 volt system to 5 volt, but that wont solve this problem either. It has to have been made as a 5 volt originally. Not sure why, but that is what I read.

Sometimes MVS are "tired" . The connector is old and contact are difficult.

Often just by not inserting the cart completly , it works. It is very sensitive.

I own about 80MVS or more and various Slots (not AES , MVS slot) , i have often that problem.

Sometimes just the fact to pull the cartridge slightly it works. Sometimes , i need 10 tries before make it work...

well,

I have tried it on both converters I own...the Phantom 1 and the Super Mvs Converter....same thing.. i know my system is not tired cause Ive got about 75 games aes and mvs combined and non give me tis problem except for the metal slug x. I will try to get the proper ac cable for the mvs super converter and keep ya posted....I may have two bad carts or I may have two good carts and one will be for trades soon!

My Neo Geo encryption-fu is weak these days, but IIRC, Metal Slug X had the first generation of new cartridge encryption scheme to combat emulation and general piracy. Also IIRC, it didn't work with MVS to AES converters. Once again IIRC, it used sort of a prototype encryption that wasn't as secure as later games and easier to decrypt, so it inadvertently led to later games using the fully implemented encryption getting dumped more quickly.

I suppose a somewhat decent way to tell what's going on is find out if you have any games that are newer than Metal Slug X and see if they work with your converters. If they work, then you may be in a pickle. I'm unfamiliar with that newer converter that has a power supply input, but if it's newer, then maybe getting it powered up is the key to getting Metal Slug X working.

I dont have the power cord ...do i need to buy it from neo geo forums or can i use a multi power cord...?

I have no idea. I didn't even know such a powered converter even existed in the first place, but I'd imagine if it has a DC input, it must be important for something.

And do you have any newer games like KOF2000 or Metal Slug 3 something? Games with encryption.

I'd suggest getting a Super MVS Converter II available here; I got mine a couple of weeks ago and I'm having a blast! Just be sure that your AC adapter outputs 5V 3A; other AC types have issues with two or three games (example: Metal Slug X only boots on a 5-3).

This answers my questions right here...So this means there is nothing wrong with either of my Metal Slgu X carts and I just need an Ac Adapter for this stupid MVs Converter II that I can get at Wal-Mart or Radio Shack?

If you primarily use MVS carts why not consider a consolized MVS setup? They cost under $200 and work with everything. The Slug X from me has been used for years in 2, 4, and 6 slot units without any failures so it has to be the converter.

AX

Ax,

I hope this doesn't mean you think I'm saying I got something from you and it doesn't work. Cause that just doesn't happen!

I got my first Metal SLug X from a Flea MArket dealer in Taylor MI..you knwo who you are !

I got my second Metal Slug X from a trade with a member on another forum.....

So neither came from you Ax....and if it did...I would be a little more tasteful than to bash you in public my man! You got good wares and everything I buy from you is golden my friend.

As for this Ax...I was stumped til now..Im off to get an ac cable after work......will post results later on after I test it out...

As for this Ax...I was stumped til now..Im off to get an ac cable after work......will post results later on after I test it out...

Be careful. Watch for voltage, polarity, current, etc. Don't just plug any old thing that fits in there. Many a Jaguar have been zapped because people plugged in something that looked like it would work but didn't take into account the somewhat nonstandard polarity on the Jaguar's DC input.