IGNORED

Fake Gravity Platformer Test

Random Terrain

I found a bug.

If you jump into the upper platform and you move left and right you hear the falling sound effect.

EDIT

The bug is in every platform, if you walk left and right till platform end.

Thanks for bug hunting. I can't reproduce the problem. For me, it only makes the falling sound if you walk off the edge of a platform and actually fall.

Edit: Oops, I just reproduced it! I'll hunt down the problem.

Edited by Random Terrain

I found a bug.

If you jump into the upper platform and you move left and right you hear the falling sound effect.

EDIT

The bug is in every platform, if you walk left and right till platform end.

Thanks for bug hunting. I can't reproduce the problem. For me, it only makes the falling sound if you walk off the edge of a platform and actually fall.

You must end the slide with one pixel of the feet outside the platform to hear it (I use Stella v.3.3.01).

Latest version is in the first post. It took me a while to figure it out, but now the sound problem seems to be fixed. I also added a skid sound to this version. It's based on the skid sound from Joust.

Please let me know if you find any problems or if any of the sounds are irritating.

Thanks.

Edited by Random Terrain

This is very impressive! I just finished testing it on my Harmony cart.

I'm looking forward to seeing a game using this. I will have a look at the code when I get time.

Thanks. I don't have a Harmony cart yet, so I've been hoping somebody who has one would see how this test program looks/works on it. :thumbsup:

Everytime now that I try to compile any one of your platform program, it hangs at a syntax error in this line (578 with the latest source): on Frame_Counter gosub Frame_00 Frame_01 Frame_00 Frame_02

It compiled yesterday but now it won't. the compiler is way to finicky/picky. I even switched which 2600basic.exe I was using and still the same thing. If ya breath too hard on the computer it will throw back an error.

I got a simple playfield to display. I was tryin out that skinny line thing. I'll throw it up here.

example.bas

example.bas.bin

Everytime now that I try to compile any one of your platform program, it hangs at a syntax error in this line (578 with the latest source): on Frame_Counter gosub Frame_00 Frame_01 Frame_00 Frame_02

It compiled yesterday but now it won't. the compiler is way to finicky/picky. I even switched which 2600basic.exe I was using and still the same thing. If ya breath too hard on the computer it will throw back an error.

As far as I know, bBWin7_64bit.zip is the latest, most up to date version of bB (before the 10 sprite beta version). If you're using that, it should work. Whenever I have trouble, it's usually with touchy if-thens.

I got a simple playfield to display. I was tryin out that skinny line thing. I'll throw it up here.

This thin line (icing) trick will become obsolete when we all move on to the version of bB that has 10 multicolored sprites, but we can have fun with it until then.

As far as I know, bBWin7_64bit.zip is the latest, most up to date version of bB (before the 10 sprite beta version). If you're using that, it should work. Whenever I have trouble, it's usually with touchy if-thens.

This thin line (icing) trick will become obsolete when we all move on to the version of bB that has 10 multicolored sprites, but we can have fun with it until then.

This only means everyone who wants to play on real hardware MUST have a Harmony using DPC+. And using new a version of stella will also have the emulated ARM processor when necessary. So Harmony, DPC+, New DPC+ bB kernel, new version of stella, Thats alot of new things for everyone to have to go to just to use the new version.

I see this as more of a new option rather than a forced upgrade. bB should still support all the previous kernels. It should now be: standard kernel, no blank lines kernel, multisprite kernel, and now DPC+ kernel. I don't see why the older kernels would be obsolete but rather a new more advanced option has been added to the tool set. Besides, If the older kernels do go obsolete like ya say, you still need to get a Harmony so you'll be able to run DPC+ games on real hardware if you haven't already. You once said you hadn't got one yet.

Besides, If the older kernels do go obsolete like ya say, you still need to get a Harmony so you'll be able to run DPC+ games on real hardware if you haven't already. You once said you hadn't got one yet.

I don't know if we'll be forced to move on or if most bB users will just have a dripping, rabid desire to use the higher resolution playfield with simultaneous foreground and background colors for each row. Once the new stuff is working properly, it's hard to imagine any bB user not wanting a higher resolution asymmetric playfield and 10 multicolored sprites with twice the vertical resolution of other bB kernels. If you want to sell your game, you'd use Melody boards. A Harmony cart is only needed for testing.

I hope to get a Harmony cart some time this year as a birthday or Christmas present.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi Random Terrain,

First of all this platform is looking nice, probably a new Lode Runner or something similar would be a good attempt (imho)

I've been away from batari for a while. Is this multicolor player done with DPC+ ?

I saw several pages with some information about DPC+. It would be nice to read something similar to your batari Basic Commands

Cheers,

Devwebcl

I've been away from batari for a while. Is this multicolor player done with DPC+ ?

Nope, it's just the normal stuff:

set kernel_options player1colors pfcolors no_blank_lines

Related link:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#kernelopchart

I saw several pages with some information about DPC+. It would be nice to read something similar to your batari Basic Commands

Since it's still buggy and batari hasn't had the time to fix it, I guess he's waiting to provide the new text for the DPC+ stuff. As soon as he send me the new text, I'll add it.

I guess since this topic is revived, this seems like a very easy "platform" for a game where you collect coins, like in the bonus level of Mario Brothers.

I'm still not sure if this should be a game that uses static screens or if I should see if scrolling would work with it.

• 1 month later...

I'm still not sure if this should be a game that uses static screens or if I should see if scrolling would work with it.

I think physics alone has been done. Now, if we could get physics AND smooth scrolling..

I tried the inverse sprite method for smooth horizontal scrolling. Maybe R.T.s example would work better with the "use the ball to hide the corners" technique.

project26.bin

• 2 weeks later...

The first post has been updated with the latest version. You can now shoot by ducking and pressing the fire button. Please let me know if you think this updated version is OK the way it is or if it's too hard to use. If people like this version, I might turn it into a platform shooting game of some kind.

In case anyone wants to know, I have no missiles because of the kernel_options I'm using, so I had to use the ball. Now I just have one sprite left that I can use for an enemy or target.

• Like 1

If you could get this working with a vertically scrolling playfield, you could port "Mighty Jill Off" from the Atari 8-bits :)

Glad this thread got bumped, this is a very nice looking platformer you have started.

If you could get this working with a vertically scrolling playfield, you could port "Mighty Jill Off" from the Atari 8-bits :)

Glad this thread got bumped, this is a very nice looking platformer you have started.

Thanks. I've been thinking of what I could do with the single-color sprite that I have left. If I use ENAM0, I can also use missile0 as a vertical strip that goes from the top of the screen to the bottom. Maybe it could be an elevator. ENAM1 for missile1 is harder to use since the colors of player1 are mirrored in it. If the player moves up or down, the colors in missile1 move up or down too. Below is an example. Missile1 is on the left and missile0 is on the right:

fake_gravity_platformer_with_duck_and_fire_button_and_enam_2012y_05m_30d_1051t.bin

Click here to try it online if you don't have an emulator handy

Here's the same as above, but I gave missile1 a black background, made it a little thinner, and have dirt platforms with grass on top:

fake_gravity_platformer_with_duck_and_fire_button_and_dirt_2012y_05m_30d_1120t.bin

Click here to try it online if you don't have an emulator handy

• 3 weeks later...