IGNORED

Battlestar Galactica?

tz101

There were even arcade games for Star Wars and Star Trek but I cannot recall ever seeing a Battlestar Galactica video game in the arcades either. Even though Galactica did have its following, it may not have been attractive enough for whatever reason for the game developers.

Those are some cartridge images that make a person wonder: Why did none of the VG companies try to license more movie/TV rights back then? Moonraker, Blade Runner, Battlestar Galactica, and Smokey and the Bandit would be awesome on VCS or Intellivision. Even Six Million Dollar Man would have been sweet. Home brewers need to get at it.

From Wikipedia:

"Space Battle" & "Space Attack"

Mattel-developed Space Battle for Intellivision and its M-Network counterpart, Space Attack for the Atari VCS/2600 platform, were originally slated to be games based on the Battlestar Galactica series. One of Mattel's subsidiaries, Concepts 2000, had the license to produce Battlestar Galactica electronic toys, so it was figured to be a lock that Mattel would get the license to produce the official Battlestar Galactica video game. The game was well into development when they discovered Mattel didn't get the license.[1] The name was changed, but the graphics remained the same. The "flying saucers" in the game are actually Cylon Raiders; this is mostly imperceptible, due to the lack of detail that could be used in graphics of the platforms of that era.

[edit] Battlestar Galactica (2003)

The 1978 Battlestar Galactica series inspired a video game for Sony's PlayStation 2 and Microsoft's Xbox in which the player plays as Commander Adama as a younger man, and flies a number of missions in different craft against Cylon ships, following Adama's career during the First Cylon War. It retains many design elements from the 1978 series though it was set in the new series universe. The game was an attempt at a bridge between the new and old series and feature the voice talent of Dirk Benedict as LT Starbuck and Richard Hatch as Capt Apollo. It was developed by VU Games and Warthog Games.

• Like 1

^

OK, one of the biggest motion pictures of that era was Smokey and the Bandit. Why did no company license it for VCS or INTV?

First one....

post-15767-0-85769200-1301359693_thumb.jpg

post-15767-0-03652000-1301359702_thumb.jpg

post-15767-0-57454500-1301359709_thumb.jpg

post-15767-0-33606500-1301359717_thumb.jpg

post-15767-0-13177100-1301359723_thumb.jpg

(Note: these are not my work, I found them)

Ha! Deliverance!! That could be a Mystique game where the object is to sodomize a helpless Ned Beatty......"Squeal like a pig!"

That Atari Star Wars "what if?" art is an oddity considering all the PB games based on the movies (including a port of the arcade game). Some sweet art, though. Even ones based on Columbo and Rockford Files, two shows I have been watching recently.

While not related, that 1941 art made me imagine Capcom's 1941 arcade game in 2600 graphics.

Edited by BrianC

We were deprived of Battlestar Galactica and so many other licensed games so we could have the true gems like ET and Raiders!!! icon_rolling.gificon_rolling.gificon_rolling.gif

I haven't played Raiders of the Lost Ark since i was a kid, but i remember it as being quite good. I should revisit it soon to see what i think today...