IGNORED

Battlestar Galactica?

tz101

i think a fonz game would be pretty cool - try to jump a shark tank with a motorcycle.

There was a Fonz arcade game. I don't think it is able to be emulated on MAME because it is partially mechanical.

Ah, here it is: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7836

I've never seen one in person, but from what I've read it is just a basic, timed racing game -- not too much unlike the handhelds of the same vintage.

Part of the problem was likely that Battlestar Galactica simply wasn't on the air for very long. One season, 24 episodes from late 1978 to early 1979. That's not much time to cash in on a licensed property. It has to be established as something that will be popular, then licensing has to be negotiated, ideas developed, code written and tested, packaging designed, marketing planned and oops! Too late. Series canceled.

After that, there were 10 episodes of the dreadful Galactica 1980, which was kind of like when Coy and Vance took over from Bo and Luke on the Dukes of Hazzard. :roll: Nobody was going to make a game out of that.

Mattel did release the handheld Battlestar Galactica Space Alert though. But that product was just a re-purposed version of an earlier game.

There was a Fonz arcade game. I don't think it is able to be emulated on MAME because it is partially mechanical.
The game didn't use a CPU...so there is nothing to emulate (the game would need to be simulated...which is why you won't find Pong and many other early games supported by MAME).

I've never seen one in person, but from what I've read it is just a basic, timed racing game -- not too much unlike the handhelds of the same vintage.
The gameplay is identical to Moto-Cross. You can see some closeup pics of Fonz in action on page 3 of this thread...courtesy of Tom.

My best guess is that video games, as a concept, were pretty young when the show was on air... licencing for ANYTHING was probably all but impossible.. or too costly, not to mention that programing techniques were pretty simple then... look at the games out during that era. By the time the market/techniques caught up The show was no longer relevent... on a marketing standpoint anyways. Where Starwars will ALWAYS be relevent. Not dissing the show in any way... but it did go off the air for a reason, and like star trek; only the most diehard of fans felt the loss.

Course now a days, things would be different.

• 4 years later...

I had always thought BSG had gotten some inspiration from the original asteroids. The viper when looked at at almost any angle could be seen as a triangle with similar proportions to the ship from asteroids. The flight physics were also similar to real space physics like asteroids. In most other game's movies and tv shows the physics are more like flying an airplane. Finally the "jumps" in BSG is similar to hyperspace in asteroids. Probably just coincidence but I sometimes like to think of asteroids as the viper training routines they would do in the asteroid field.

I had always thought BSG had gotten some inspiration from the original asteroids. The viper when looked at at almost any angle could be seen as a triangle with similar proportions to the ship from asteroids. The flight physics were also similar to real space physics like asteroids. In most other game's movies and tv shows the physics are more like flying an airplane. Finally the "jumps" in BSG is similar to hyperspace in asteroids. Probably just coincidence but I sometimes like to think of asteroids as the viper training routines they would do in the asteroid field.

Only the new reimagined BSG had jumps and the flight physics...

BSG TOS had the vipers running under thrust all the time.

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 1