IGNORED

Who can make LUNIX work on real Atari 8-bit?

TXG/MNX

Does it even run on an emulated atari 8bit? I ask because of this quote on the page you linked:

LNG is an operationg system primarly for the good old Commodore64 home-computer. There also is a native version for the successor Commodore128. Ports to other 6502/6510 driven 8Bit Computers are possible but not yet started. LUnix started in 1993 and reached the internet in 1994. In 1997 LUnix0.1 was rewritten from scratch, the result is LNG.

Afair Lunix boots on a8, but is limited to the CLI.

With lack of disk access, no executables can be run.

I vaguely remember booting it from my SIO2SD device (ie no DOS boot disk).

Right now, i can't remember where i found that binary. Will look and update!

It would indeed be great to see this running on the XL/XE!

Edited by Beetle

I found an old post from myself on abbuc forums.

In there i found out that i copied an .atr image

to my own webspace.

Klick me to download Lunix NG 0.21

So, it was an ATR and no binary. You may have tested the very same image,

i still can't remember where i got it.

Greetings,

Beetle

• Like 1

Indeed. I've already considered a simple task switching facility using just that technique. If we copy an application's code and ZP registers, stack, etc, into extended banks, we can swap another running application into that space. However, doing that in a true multi-tasking manner is a rather different proposition, mainly because of the awful linear memory constraints we have to deal with. A bunch of 16KB apps all compiled to $4000... not so difficult, but rather limited in application.

Threading on a single processor system is kind of an illusion anyways...it's really more about simplifying the act of busy waiting than anything else. It can be simulated without any actual threading going on. Plus it adds a TON of complication under the hood, and if it's pre-emptive then you need to have mutexes and locking semantics. I recommend avoiding it.

true. I was thinking that for the GUI, maybe giving every app an inherent 'idle' timer would be a good way to go, so that it gets pulsed occasionally even if its not being driven by a particular event. If it doesn't handle it, then nothing happens, but if it does then thats sort of like multi-threading. Not sure what you mean by 'task switching' as opposed to threading. Do you mean non-preemptive vs. preemptive? If you do, I heartily agree that non-preemptive is the way to go on our platform.

• 7 years later...

Hi there,

i digging out this old thead. I was asked if i still have the atr file i linked in my initial posting. After a provider change, that file is 404 now.

Did someone download it and decided to keep it?

When i try to compile the disk, i get a segfault...

Greets,

Beetle

Well, Beetle said that Lunix boots on the A8 - but me, I never got it to run/execute from a DOS 2.x (no luck with Turbo-DOS, DOS 2.5 and MyDOS)... as said before, the version I have might be an older one that may or may not run on the A8...

But maybe this Linux errm, Lunix version does not run from DOS at all and needs a gamedos, bootloader, XBIOS, Bootmajster, etc. ?!?

Think I downloaded it from the author's or the project's webpage, but several years later now, I do not remember anymore...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Hehe, found the Lunix version I downloaded somewhere (not from your given link!) in a folder named "ALTDOS" (short for alternative DOS / OS). Might not be the latest version though...

I was the person who asked Beetle wether he still had his compiled LUnix 0.21 ATR .

I mostly use Linux/OSX/BSD so finding out there was a fork to Atari immediately sparked my interest.

Having tried myself to compile version 0.19/0.21 but also ending up with a segfault and in the end a non-booting ATR after some Makefile tweaking , there must have been specific Makefile in order to succesfully compile it.

CharlieChaplin , your version is 0.19 which boots when you set Altirra to XL/XE, 64K , PAL.

No luck booting it on my PAL 130XE.

I remembered from reading the authors notes that he built it on an emulator but had ran it on a 65XE.

Hower it just boots to init after which you can l(oad) a command but to my understanding those haven't been converted/created for the Atari 8 bit (yet).

post-64282-0-16170300-1537125243_thumb.png

Also realised the correct command is lsh without spaces between but no luck either.

Edited by Lastic

Well,

I do have 5 Atari 800XL PAL computers, 1x with 64k RAM and 4x with 576k RAM, Lunix does not run on any of them. Whenever I try to load it with a DOS, it crashes during or at the end of the load process.

So how do you boot/load it ? With a bootloader, gamedos or what ?

Or does this version run only under emulation and not on the real thing ?