IGNORED

Gamegavel.com for selling?

SRGilbert

I feel funny asking, because I know the guys who run it hang out on here, but what is the general opinion of selling game items on GG now that it's been up and running for a few years?

I sold all of one game back when they first started up (to Ax, I'm pretty sure!) and it went ok, but I'm not a fan in general of having to post the listing, pack it for shipping, ect. I usually sell stuff on Craigslist, and do pretty well, but I have some stuff, mostly not so common games, that I think I'd do better online. Plus, games are pretty easy to ship, unlike whole systems that I usually deal with in person.

What do you sellers think? Do you feel you are getting good sales and fair prices? Do most of you do regular auctions or BIN's?

As far as buying, I haven't bought anything there personally, because I don't really like the interface.

One thing I don't like about GameGavel is the way listings are presented. It breaks it down too much. Like for example

All Categories > NEC Turbo Grafx 16 > Games then shows you breakdowns for "Complete in Case" and "New Factory Sealed" but no way to just see ALL the TG16 games at once. It just doesn't seem very intuitive. I'd much rather click on a catagory and have it show everything at first, then let me refine it as I see fit. When it's so specific, it's harder to browse and find things you weren't looking for.

I'd also like if there was a way to search by location. I live in a fairly large area, and have picked up items from ebay sellers for local auctions I've won.

What do you guys think?

Edited by SRGilbert

I find it tedious that I have to click each and every item when relisting. Where is the button to relist all auctions at once? Also, when I was listing items the other day it took me a few minutes to figure out where to load pictures. There is a link at the bottom of the page, so I kept clicking on it but it would just load the same page over and over. I eventually figured it out, but that link should be removed. The pic thing was minor, but if you have a lot of items relisting gets tedious. I guess if that's the worst thing I can say about Gamegavel it must not be too bad. It's a big step up from ebay.

I find it tedious that I have to click each and every item when relisting. Where is the button to relist all auctions at once? Also, when I was listing items the other day it took me a few minutes to figure out where to load pictures. There is a link at the bottom of the page, so I kept clicking on it but it would just load the same page over and over. I eventually figured it out, but that link should be removed. The pic thing was minor, but if you have a lot of items relisting gets tedious. I guess if that's the worst thing I can say about Gamegavel it must not be too bad. It's a big step up from ebay.

After you get a couple listing under your belt you will be right at home :) The bulk uploader works very well for listing lots of items.

We are working on the search. Taking a while, but it is coming so one click will open up all items under the main categories with drill down to the sub categories. It's coming, I swear.

Thanks for checking us out. We have many using it very frequently. Just check all the feedbacks just left for me and you can see it's growing - http://www.gamegavel.com/display_ratings.cgi?view_user=socalmike&show_item=

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Parrothead

Rats, I just got an email from Gamegavel today that my listings are expired and I need to relist. I find relisting items very irritating, and I only have 5 of them to do. Maybe that's why I usually run items only a few weeks and then give up. Here's an idea, why don't they automatically relist the items like Yahoo used to do? I could just leave them up forever and forget about them. Wouldn't that be nice? And Gamegavel would certainly end up with more listings that way.

• Like 2

Rats, I just got an email from Gamegavel today that my listings are expired and I need to relist. I find relisting items very irritating, and I only have 5 of them to do. Maybe that's why I usually run items only a few weeks and then give up. Here's an idea, why don't they automatically relist the items like Yahoo used to do? I could just leave them up forever and forget about them. Wouldn't that be nice? And Gamegavel would certainly end up with more listings that way.

Relisting is easy though. One click relist for all your items and you can stutter the ending times. Takes only a second no matter how many listing you have. If you run "buy now" listings you can extend them out to 20 days. The problem with auto relist is people list and then never come back and I don't think that makes for a good marketplace. Sounds good in theory but actually doesn't really work out.

I'm on dialup, so it takes a lot longer than a second. That 20 day thing might work out if I can figure out how to do it. I think stuttering the ending times would just keep me irritated.

:o WHAT? :o

I had no idea dail up was still offered anywhere. Dude I'm sorry. I remember the dark ages.

I have never been a customer and I don't sell anywhere so I just have the experience of browsing the site. I can say that parts of the site look funny. I can't really put my finger on it. Not like that makes a big deal in the end though.

I guess the problem I have with the site is the same problem I have shopping on eBay, the prices get stupid. There is nothing that can really be done about it, but I'm not spending $45 on a boxed copy of Yar's Revenge. The difference between eBay and GameGavel is GameGavel is targeted at one group of people, and the people that go there in large part at least, are collectors. So you would think they wouldn't bother trying to list something that crazy on there.

I think of the site like this. Its a small fish right now, and that is a good thing. It is a targeted site, and that is a good thing as well. In time I'm possitive it will get better and better and part one of it getting better is getting support. If I can find a good deal on something I want there I'm buying it there for the same reason I pay for the free service of AA, I like to support the things that are there to support me.

If you hate eBay, and I think we all do at this point, stop using it. The only way to get people to change is to make people change, and in the business world that means you have to stop giving them money. If you hate eBay and still want to sell your games in a auction, use GameGavel.

I'm on dialup, so it takes a lot longer than a second. That 20 day thing might work out if I can figure out how to do it. I think stuttering the ending times would just keep me irritated.

You simply use the drop down menu showing the dates to end your listing. Pick the date furthest out and you are set :) That is the last step before firing off your listing.

Seems to be a ton of second guessing the user on Game Gavel. The annoyances add up to just not bothering.

AX

Annoyances? Just helping people out when they ask? Seriously GameGavel is every bit as easy to use as Ebay. You about need a road map to figure out anything there anymore. Once people list a couple things on GG they are good to go. Fast and easy. And there is no guessing what fees you will be paying month to month. And everything I do with GG is and has always been about building something better for all us gamers. Ebay doesn't care about you guys at all.

Attitudes like Ax's are why others don't attempt to go out and do something good for the gaming community, if you ask me. How anyone could be so negative about something that is being done for the good of the community puzzles me?? Oh well, can't please everyone.

And on top of it all Ax was given a free seller account by me and sold almost $700 nearly selling all that he had listed and built up 61 positive feedbacks then quit using it cold turkey. So it did nothing but help him out while he was using it. He just quit using it when the named changed from ChaseTheChuckwagon to GameGavel. Seems a bit nearsighted to me.

GG has sold over $215,000 in the three years it has been around so it does get used. Rest assured we are working on ways to increase the userbase and reach scale. Just takes time.

Edited by Parrothead

I use the 'select all' when relisting. I've never had a problem. It's at the top of the page when you display your expired listings.

I do agree that it would be handy to have some type of store set up that was a list till sold arrangement.

Overall, I am very happy with GameGavel. All the customers I've had are very good and I find the interface to be very easy once you're used to it. Different people like different things, though.

I have been using fixed price listings almost exclusively. It works out for me because most of what I sell has a pretty well defined market price. My customers seem to like it because they don't have to wait to see if they win. Mike does a feed to Google Base daily, but I recommend that sellers publicize their listings here and other forums also.

I think the site will continue to grow and everyone who gives it a chance by listing and buying there will help that process.

Actually Google has changed how they take their feeds and require a separate feed for every seller so they have essentially shut down all multiple seller marketplaces as this simply does not work. I can't go back in and sumbit feeds for 5000 members :( So until they change it back, which there is no indication they will, they just continue to promote the big online and retail stores that sell online. The little marketplaces are shut out. Sucks!

I use the 'select all' when relisting. I've never had a problem. It's at the top of the page when you display your expired listings.

I do agree that it would be handy to have some type of store set up that was a list till sold arrangement.

Overall, I am very happy with GameGavel. All the customers I've had are very good and I find the interface to be very easy once you're used to it. Different people like different things, though.

I have been using fixed price listings almost exclusively. It works out for me because most of what I sell has a pretty well defined market price. My customers seem to like it because they don't have to wait to see if they win. Mike does a feed to Google Base daily, but I recommend that sellers publicize their listings here and other forums also.

I think the site will continue to grow and everyone who gives it a chance by listing and buying there will help that process.

Seems to be a ton of second guessing the user on Game Gavel. The annoyances add up to just not bothering.

AX

Annoyances? Just helping people out when they ask? Seriously GameGavel is every bit as easy to use as Ebay. You about need a road map to figure out anything there anymore. Once people list a couple things on GG they are good to go. Fast and easy. And there is no guessing what fees you will be paying month to month. And everything I do with GG is and has always been about building something better for all us gamers. Ebay doesn't care about you guys at all.

Attitudes like Ax's are why others don't attempt to go out and do something good for the gaming community, if you ask me. How anyone could be so negative about something that is being done for the good of the community puzzles me?? Oh well, can't please everyone.

And on top of it all Ax was given a free seller account by me and sold almost $700 nearly selling all that he had listed and built up 61 positive feedbacks then quit using it cold turkey. So it did nothing but help him out while he was using it. He just quit using it when the named changed from ChaseTheChuckwagon to GameGavel. Seems a bit nearsighted to me.

My attitude is one of hopeful desire that the site could simply be better. The assumptions and posts like this don't help that already flickering desire to use the site. It could improve, but hasn't... it has to say something that someone with a free account doesn't feel like using it.

When I make suggestions they are flat out ignored. So I'm getting bitter about it, sure.

Do you care?

AX

AX

My attitude is one of hopeful desire that the site could simply be better. The assumptions and posts like this don't help that already flickering desire to use the site. It could improve, but hasn't... it has to say something that someone with a free account doesn't feel like using it.

When I make suggestions they are flat out ignored. So I'm getting bitter about it, sure.

Do you care?

AX

When have I ignored your suggestions? The site has improved ten fold since I launched it. Many peoples suggestions have been taken into consideration to get it this far. There are always going to be improvements needed and made as time goes by. When you were using the site, you didn't have many complaints. They just started out of the blue. You figured it out easily enough when you first used it.

The biggest complaint I get is the search function and we are finishing that fix up. It has taken a long time, agreed, but it will get done. I don't get many complaints at all now, by anyone using the site, just an occasional issue here and there and we deal with it. Give me a list of the issues and what you want to see improved right here and I will take a look.

Edited by Parrothead

AX

Do you care?

AX

When have I ignored your suggestions? The site has improved ten fold since I launched it. Many peoples suggestions have been taken into consideration to get it this far. There are always going to be improvements needed and made as time goes by. When you were using the site, you didn't have many complaints. They just started out of the blue. You figured it out easily enough when you first used it.

The biggest complaint I get is the search function and we are finishing that fix up. It has taken a long time, agreed, but it will get done. I don't get many complaints at all now, by anyone using the site, just an occasional issue here and there and we deal with it. Give me a list of the issues and what you want to see improved right here and I will take a look.

PM

Girls girls, you're both pretty! :D

There seems to be more going on here then the rest of us know about. I wish I could find enough extra games to sell and make this all real important to me.

@Parrothead keep doing what you are doing. As long as you can admit it isn't perfect yet then it will always get better.

@Ax calm down man. Seems like you are really upset about all this. I think you are just really used to business the AA way, where you name a price, someone buys it and covers shipping without you ever paying anyone for the service along the way. Come to think of it, that seems like exactly the deal Parrothead gave you at GG and you hate it for some reason. Can't say I understand that. :ponder:

I'm full of passion on the topic because I WANT game gavel to succeed.

In my eyes it could be an eBay alternative but isn't still/yet.

The detectable anger is with eBay... I hate being forced to use them to survive.

It is my utmost desire that Game Gavel become the site it could be soon to make it a viable alternative.

AX

Well, I like gameGavel very much and I too would Love it to be all it can be and live up to the potential. It certainly is not easy I am sure to take on EVILBAY and certainly you are not going to get such personal attention and help you get on GameGavel anywhere else.

My ONLY issue has nothing to do with the site or how it is run, for sure there can be bargains to be had there from time to time. No, my issue is I have always gotten an impression that at least a certain percentage of sellers there have this attitude, whatever they are selling it is clear that they damn well now that a large majority of buyers there are collectors, even more so than Ebay because it is JUST a "video game" site. THEY KNOW the majority of people there are serious collectors and so they mark their prices accordingly. I am not saying that is wrong or not fair BUT IT SUCKS. Honestly I have seen many common items selling for worse than Ebay prices simply because the seller knows they are marketing to a serious niche in the buying community. Many of those same sellers are people who could not push their items on Ebay because of all the competition. That is my only issue but it has nothing to do with the site but the people who sell there.

Well, I like gameGavel very much and I too would Love it to be all it can be and live up to the potential. It certainly is not easy I am sure to take on EVILBAY and certainly you are not going to get such personal attention and help you get on GameGavel anywhere else.

My ONLY issue has nothing to do with the site or how it is run, for sure there can be bargains to be had there from time to time. No, my issue is I have always gotten an impression that at least a certain percentage of sellers there have this attitude, whatever they are selling it is clear that they damn well now that a large majority of buyers there are collectors, even more so than Ebay because it is JUST a "video game" site. THEY KNOW the majority of people there are serious collectors and so they mark their prices accordingly. I am not saying that is wrong or not fair BUT IT SUCKS. Honestly I have seen many common items selling for worse than Ebay prices simply because the seller knows they are marketing to a serious niche in the buying community. Many of those same sellers are people who could not push their items on Ebay because of all the competition. That is my only issue but it has nothing to do with the site but the people who sell there.

Well the items I've tried to sell have gotten no more than one bid in the past so the buyer got a great deal but me? I'm left thinking why the hell did I just give away my games for next to nothing? And I'm not talking about common games, I'm talking about rare CIB collectibles. I now have to list with basically a "buy it now" style price to protect myself from the lack of traffic on the site - and that's with letting people here, at DP, cgcc, nintendoage, etc know about my auctions.

It would be an interesting experiment to put two same games for sale - one on ebay and one on GG and see which one nets the seller the most money. My guess is it wouldn't be GG by a long shot. As I said in another thread on this subject - GG is great for buyers, not so much for sellers and the reason is simple and almost not worth mentioning - traffic. See, it doesn't matter how many collectors who frequent these boards and other collector forums go there - its the millions of casual collectors who either don't know about or trust an alternate site that drive the bids. They won't go there

But, I'm still giving it a shot, I listed one item yesterday and I may do some more this weekend but if I don't get any bids I may be done with the site for good or at least until things change drastically there.

Well it seems the community is speaking on this matter. Perhaps change is in the near future?

I personally think of AA as the pulse of the classic gaming community. The real collectors find their way here, and become a knowledge base for the community as a whole. Its this forum just dealt Atari it wouldn't have near the traffic it does. Because there are people here with a deep knowledge of most if not all classic systems we have the resources to know what is going on in the world of collecting games. This knowledge is being laid out for those running GameGavel, a auction site made for the collector. Lets see what happens shall we.

Now traffic is going to be the hardest part. That takes a lot of time and money to get the word out there. Not to mention it isn't like eBay in the scale of items for sale, so the people talking about it will be limited. I don't know what to do about that really. I would start buy getting more partnership links with web sites that people in the community go to all the time. I have noticed the GG ads in a few places, but not near as many as I would think.

While GG is small it is easier to adjust to what the community wants. As a matter of fact it might be a must for them to adjust to the things the community wants to get any bigger.

Actually Google has changed how they take their feeds and require a separate feed for every seller so they have essentially shut down all multiple seller marketplaces as this simply does not work. I can't go back in and sumbit feeds for 5000 members :( So until they change it back, which there is no indication they will, they just continue to promote the big online and retail stores that sell online. The little marketplaces are shut out. Sucks!

Didn't realize that. I hadn't checked it for a long time. I'm still getting a good amount of views and sales and I always thought that was part of the reason.