IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - preorder starts today

drac030

I can understand the reluctance of DOS 2.5 afficianados to use the device in new ways, since large partitions and nested folders are a complete irrelevance in that case. I'm not a gamer, and indeed made my first game boot disk for someone else only last week - but I suppose 99% of games don't use DOS and might best be stored in some kind of rack. Surely an unformatted "Big DOS" partition could be populated by a compound image of games, accessed by a boot menu which requires absolutely no changes to the HDD interface's firmware.

This is indeed something like a mouse click in any GUI - press <I> and DOS will format, etc. ...

Man, since the mid eighties I am trying to drill thru the thick wood many 'DOS 2.5 afficianados' are wearing in front of the forehead ;).

And for gamers ICD already delivered at that time in 1984 (iirc) a very powerful "game DOS" called LOGOMENU.SYS running on SD 1.1 formatted disks (720KB max.) enabling sio highspeed automatically. It was a "killer" back then and still is a good one.

Edited by GoodByteXL

Ok, I'm beyond frustrated. Sloopy and I walked through an identical setup and he was able to get his MYDOS partition setup and working. I cant even get mine setup (which is stupid as it worked yesterday)

When I drop out of FDISK2 and mydos comes back I hit RESET and it is supposed to activate the IDE (I check in start-reset and it's IDE on)

however I get no access to any disks, I have the partition set as ACT BR, the only disk I can see is the APE disk....

I've flashed the latest firmware and my SDX and SD3.2 partitions are fine...

I'm at the point now where I am just ready to go back to IDEa and say screw it, there is something wrong with my IDE+

Okay another stupid question... I had my SDX partition set as 65534 & 256bps and when I format it it comes out 32746... Does SDX have to be set as 512 to give 65534?

if so is SDX the only dos I need to do that with? (I believe so reading through the manual but I'm not 100% sure). Right now I have everything else set up as 65534 @ 256 (sd 3.x and Mydos)

Okay, did some more testing... I pulled out my IDEa and followed the same steps, here is what I get

SD 3.x

IDE+ 65534 @ 256bps when I enter MKSDFS.COM Sectors 32746

IDEa 65534 @ 256bps when I enter MKSDFS.COM Sectors 65534

SDX

IDE+ 65534 @256bps when I enter Format sectors 32746

IDEa 65534 @256bps when I enter Format Sectors 65534

Just for everyone's reference, and Guitarman hinted at this to me last night (and me not being a hardware or software guru makes me denser at this stuff sometimes) here is Drac's reply to my PM on this...

Yes, IDEa and IDE Plus use the physical sectors differently. IDEa packs two logical sectors (256-byters) into one physical 512-byter. IDE Plus always puts one logical sector into one physical (wasting space but gaining speed). Therefore what you declare 65534 under FDISK2, stays 65534 for IDEa, but gets divided by two for IDE Plus.

Still no luck with MYDOS on my system...

When I reactivate IDE after fdisk2 it is not seeing the partitions I have created

Try not deactivating IDE during fdisk2... I used this program after partitioning drive.

post-10165-0-79759300-1308332400_thumb.png

FMTDIR.XEX

Leave partition #2=D2: as an SIO drive.

fdisk2 sector size 131070=65535 MyDOS sectors.

Edited by rdea6

I have swapped several PMs with orpheus, he sent me detailed information (including a copy of his disk's MBR), and it seems that I just have reproduced the problem he's having. It must be a weird bug in the firmware, will now try to trace it down.

I have swapped several PMs with orpheus, he sent me detailed information (including a copy of his disk's MBR), and it seems that I just have reproduced the problem he's having. It must be a weird bug in the firmware, will now try to trace it down.

i had the same problem a couple days ago, left it overnight, completely re-did my CF card (after zero'ing it out on my linux box), and it started working again...

i went step by step with him, with the same config on mine as his, only diffs were i was using PAL 130XE/1GB CF, he was using NTSC 2GB CF, but otherwise the same (even same CF adaptor)...

mine worked, his didnt :'/

sloopy.

orpheuswaking is telling me that the problem he was having is gone in the BIOS revision I've sent him. So I decided to post the update in case anyone is having such a problem as well.

Also, the updates won't be posted here anymore, I have setup a preliminary download page, here:

http://drac030.krap....kmkjz-pliki.php

There is also new version of the KMKDIAG, 1.36.

I am also editing the manual, but it is not yet finished. When I will have it done, I'll upload it there.

EDIT: in the configuration menu, the "USpeed SIO" option is back. It works well with MyDOS (here, that is). SpartaDOS 3.2 won't boot because of a conflict at VBL handling. The same problem occurs when SDX is selected to USE OSRAM and OS SIO. I am working on solving these issues.

Have fun.

Edited by drac030

I want to publically thank DRAC030 for his assistance with the MYDOS issue. everything is working great now

I also like the newer versions of KMKdiag as they show a lot more info during testing.

Keep up the great work! (looking forward to the updated manual)