IGNORED

Aquarius Composite Mod

Is there an easy way to mod the Aquarius to do Composite out? I want to do some captures, but of course, my VCR won't sync to the Aquarius RF out, so I can't use my VCR as the RF Demodulator. I probably need to mod my Aquarius anyway, but I only found a mod for a PAL Aquarius? Is it the same for an NTSC?

I tried one composite mod, probably the same one you're referring to, but I didn't get very good results; the colors were off and the picture was unstable. I didn't really try to troubleshoot it because the RF modulator in the Aquarius (the exact same one as in the Intellivision II, by the way) actually produces a pretty clean image if you use a good RF cable, and I didn't have trouble getting it to work with my VCR. Does your VCR have an antenna input? If so, an RF adapter like this one and setting the VCR to channel 3 or 4 should work. I'd use one of those adapters (if you aren't already) instead of bothering with any of the old switchboxes anymore; they give much better results.

In case anyone's interested, I've attached the datasheet for the video encoder that is used in the Aquarius; it's an odd little old chip called the TEA1002. The Aquarius character generator outputs TTL RGB color data, which the TEA1002 encodes to composite video. It should be possible to design a video mod to use its composite output, but that's about as good as you're going to get from that old chip. I won't get to it until much later this year (if not next year), but I've often thought of replacing this chip with a microcontroller and a modern video encoder, which would allow you to output to composite, S-Video, or even VGA. I'd really love to combine this with my SuperFont upgrade, so you can install both at once.

tea1002.pdf

I have one of those awesome RF converters. I have tried two VCRs with one of my Aquari, I will try the other. Maybe another VCR. Ugh... Frustrating... always... with this computer.

Hmmm. Just out of curiosity, what type of VCRs are these? I've used my machines with a few different VCRs, ranging in age from about four to twelve years, but I haven't seen one yet that wasn't compatible (maybe I've just been lucky). I use my main Aquarius through a Samsung VR9260 VCR, six or seven years old, connected to a Commodore 1702 monitor.

All I can suggest is to re-check the basics: make sure that both the computer and the VCR are set to the same channels, and that the RF adapter is connected to the VCR's antenna input and not to the output. If it doesn't like Channel 3 for whatever reason, try Channel 4 instead (there's a switch for this on the back of the Aquarius), and you might also try to connect another known-working computer or console that uses RF, just to make sure it isn't an issue with the cables. In my experience, if all these things are in place, it should "just work."

Is there an easy way to mod the Aquarius to do Composite out?

This question has also been asked in the Yahoo groups. There are two schematics in the files section. I published the first schematic from some old drawing, then the guy who asked -can't remember his name- published his solution.

Regs

Martin