IGNORED

Nonogram - game released

Here's trying out some rollin' eyes.

nonogram0036.gif

Maybe it could stare at you, and then look down on the board from time to time. When time is running out, it could start rollin' its eyes. I'll drop the blinking completely. A lot of "older" cartoons (stop motion) didn't have blinking, so I guess it won't be that "unnatural".

:)

You could always close/open the eyelids based on how much time is left or make them bloodshot when time expired :twisted:

• Like 1

Thanks for feedback.

Okay, I basically rearranged a few things and added stuff. No additional code. Binary attached.

• Palette changed
  • Font changed
  • Logo changed
  • Eyeballs and pupils added
  • Bubble added

Other than that, I'm playing with a few ideas and tested old and new puzzles.

Edited by sometimes99er

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Version 0.1

Program name: NONO

File and program name: NONO

So I'm breathing new life into this one.

When it comes to code and design, I'm taking one step back. Much on the back of mineSweeper. I was definitely going for something more action oriented (game project), but we'll cram this one in.

Instructions

Nothing much you can do. You can move the cursor around using ESDX and IJKL. And you can select different sized levels with the keys 1, 2 and 3.

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 2

Version 0.2

What's new

Each level, picture or puzzle is represented in memory as a series of words (16 bits). The first puzzle is a 5 by 5 cell picture, and is represented by 5 words. I was going to allow individual sizes of height and width for each puzzle, but now height and width is always the same. Also, due to the source of puzzles, and I guess for learning curve and increased difficulty, it will only have 5 by 5, 10 by 10 and finally 15 by 15 cell picture puzzles. In the end I may fine tune or totally change several of the puzzles to be more TI related.

So this update includes a routine for calculating and displaying row numbers. Also a routine for making the cursor bits flash.

Instructions

Still not a lot you can do. You can move the cursor around using ESDX and IJKL. And you can select different sized levels with the keys 1, 2 and 3.

• Like 1

Version 0.3

News

For calculating the row numbers I use SRL (Shift Right Logical). And now for the columns I'm using SZC (Set Zeros Corresponding).

Again I've chosen not to use the 32K Expansion Memory, so no easy internal roll out of pixels in RAM. Puzzles are stored in ROM and at all times referenced therefrom. The bone of a 15 by 15 cell puzzle occupies 30 bytes. A 5 by 5 takes 10 bytes.

This update also includes routines for painting and marking. And timer is functional, but that's all.

Instructions

You move the cursor around using ESDX and/or IJKL. You can paint with Q key. You can mark with W. And you can still select different sized puzzles using 1, 2 and 3. And Fctn Quit works too.

Future stuff

Obviously we need to add a routine for checking if the puzzle is solved, ability to proceed etc.

• Like 2

I tried changing the cursor blinking from white, gray and black to white, the red colors and black, and finally leaving out the black. Also with different delays. Went back to what we already got.

Routine for checking if a puzzle is solved, is coming along nicely. Been interrupted too many times in this session to actually finish it.

As a rather lazy solution, I thought I would use the timer to simply time how long it would take you to solve all puzzles. And I think I would try and fit 64 puzzles in there. That would then easily take you an hour to complete the game. - Now I was thinking about introducing / reintroducing the tube. The one with bubbles in the fluid (see post #75). So if you didn't finish the puzzle in time, before the fluid ran out, it would ... restart the game, or the level, or something. Maybe random amounts of fluid per level. Maybe I should leave 'stress' out all together. You just play as far as you want and that's that. Your achievement is what level you made. Yeah well, of course there should be an on-screen prize for completing the game.

:party:

• Like 1

Keys 1, 2 and 3 removed. That was just handy for testing different sized puzzles.

Key R added. Whenever you think you've screwed up big time, you can easily reset the current puzzle.

Key Enter added. Whenever you've solved a puzzle, and want to proceed to the next.

This session ended with requirements definition of what happens when a puzzle is solved. Cursor will be deactivated, colors and characters will change, numbers are cleared, messages are displayed, timer is paused, and maybe it's time for a sound-effect.

Version 0.4

News

Fully playable. Crashes when you get beyond level 33.

Instructions

Movement: ESDX or IJKL

Paint: Q

Mark: W

Reset: R

Quit: Fctn Quit

Future stuff

Sounds. More levels. Splash screen. Surprise thing when all puzzles are solved.

;)

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 1

Awesome! This is my favorite puzzle game (much more fun than Sudoku), and your version plays really well.

My only suggestion would be to make the cursor blink somewhat less ... aggressively ... after a while it's making me really nervous. :mad:

;-)

Thanks. :)

Regarding the cursor. Yes, there must be something, and I guess I maybe got used to it, as it is. A few days ago I tried more subtle color changes, in the so called blinking, but reverted back. And I guess we react differently to rapid changes in light, colors, sounds etc. Well, bottom-line, I'll try out a few other ideas.

;)

Nonogram takes #4 in the weekly pre-NES top 10 in the game tracker this week. :) #9 in the overall weekly tracker.

Excellent. Thanks. :thumbsup:

It's kind of fun to keep track of your own playtime. The overall totals etc. has to be taken with a grain of salt, but very nice to have someone do the statistics and it generates a bit of activity here and there. Nice.

;)

Here are my times for this past week (September 14th through 20th)...

Online (non-eligible):

Nonograms - 205 minutes in 3 sessions

Nonogram solver - 22 minutes

TI-99:

Nonogram - 163 minutes in 3 sessions

This week I dealt exclusively with Nonograms, which is some kind of puzzle where you get a grid and on its left and top side you get numbers denoting strips of filled cells which run down or to the right, but aren't allowed to overlap or even touch (at least one blank field must be in between). Sometimes99er, the author of TI-99 Minesweeper, also has made a TI-99 version of this game, and basically I solved all the puzzles in his version. I also tried some nonograms on an online site, but the best thing I get are 15x15 grids. On larger grids, I didn't manage to actually solve one. I tried a "puzzle of the week" which is 30x30, and after 86 minutes, I had the majority of it solved, but I had thrown in a mistake somewhere, so it didn't work out, and I gave up and left it to an online Nonogram solver. However, I also attempted to do a Nonogram of my own which is 14x14 and shown below (without the solution!), Can you find out what it is? :-)

See original post and the puzzle mentioned in the game tracker post #639.

I solved it. Copied the picture to a graphic editor, had a fat marker, red and blue, with the right and left mouse buttons. Very nice.

kurt.png

And very big thanks to Kurt for playing my games extensively and going the extra mile.

• 2 weeks later...

Streamlining and playtesting. 5 cell markers made a bit longer. About 10 puzzles removed. 5 puzzles moved around. Will try and adapt some iconic TI graphics into puzzles.

If you have an idea for a puzzle or a ready made one, please post here or send me a message (at AtariAge).

Edited by sometimes99er

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Version 1.0

News

End of game screen.

Puzzle flow fine-tuned.

Added a few puzzles from classic TI games.

Added Kurt's puzzle.

Instructions

Movement: ESDX and IJKL

Paint: Q

Mark: W

Reset puzzle: R

Blinking on/off: B

Next color when blinking off: N

Next puzzle when solved: Enter

Quit: Fctn Quit

;)

• Like 5