IGNORED

Retro Gaming on a HD CRT

gamer2

Ok, I moved out of the house into a small apartment for myself, again (Boomerang Child), and in the move the CRT TV I use for my classic game systems like NES and the like was damaged (on my own accord...maybe I should have payed for movers), and now all I have is my LCD TV...which makes classic consoles that run at 480i and under resolutions look bad. At a local pawn shop, they have a High Definition CRT TV for sale for $50, I was thinking it would be good to put in a game room and leave my LCD for Television and movies. How do classic games look on a High Definition CRT TV, do they look as bad as they do on a LCD TV?

They do not look good. I have an HD CRT and was surprised to see that my genesis looks horrible on it. Just buy a nice SD CRT on craigslist or something. You should be able to get a nice Sony with s-video inputs for $50 or less.

Chris

Mine is a very nice Panasonic. Just doesn't handle composite video very well. Will the pawn shop let you bring in a console to hook up and test it out? I don't see why they wouldn't...

Chris

I called them and they said with a stern voice "NO"

Mine is a very nice Panasonic. Just doesn't handle composite video very well. Will the pawn shop let you bring in a console to hook up and test it out? I don't see why they wouldn't...

Chris

I called them and they said with a stern voice "NO"

They're either really dumb, or there's something wrong with that particular TV. I'd avoid it.

As everyone else has said, it depends on the TV. I have a 36" Sony HD CRT and it looks beautiful with just about everything I throw at it except for the composite which looks pretty crappy (at least on the NES). If you're only playing systems with composite or lower, I'd stick to a standard CRT, but if your systems support S-Video or better than an HD CRT will look fine.

If the TV has a VGA or DVI port on the back then you might be able to use a SCART cable and a converter board to do SCART to VGA. This is what I'm in the process of doing right now, but I don't have the connector wired up yet. It should look great though, but it's a lot of work. :)

Tempest

if you have a tv games plug n play, use that to test out tvs when you are out shopping. they take batteries and the av cable is attached.

If they will let you.

Make them let you. say "oh so you don't want to sell any merchandise do you? I'll go tell everyone what a bad business you are running with no customer service so nobody comes in" Then you may pry their hands.

Yeah, take something in to test it. If they object, tell them they've lost a customer.

Or, since you already have an HD LCD set, why not get an SD set for classic games?

I was thinking that I could drag my PS3 into my gameroom and have my main TV used for movies and TV.