IGNORED

Jag Sound Capabilities

Keaton Blue

So i guess that its really not worth it, to really try to push the Jag with an FM engine, if its only gonna be a bit better than the Genesis.

At least there were some good examples of sound engines, like Super Burnout.

The Jag and 3DO are always compared in terms of graphics, but i wonder how they compare to each other when it comes to sound. Was the 3DO soundchip comparable to the Jags, in terms of capabilities?

Look a this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxWbQM2FDsc

Amiga sound is empty.

All this post is a personnal view, i love Genesis sytem too :) even Amiga one (a little bit less but too ) so please don't start a flamme war thanks ;)

GT Turbo

The ST version sounds a lot more aggressive whereas the Amiga version sounds rather effeminate. But it didn't appear that they were done by the same artist so I don't think it's really a fair comparison. This is like Trent Reznor vs. John Tesh.

Look a this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxWbQM2FDsc

Amiga sound is empty.

All this post is a personnal view, i love Genesis sytem too :) even Amiga one (a little bit less but too ) so please don't start a flamme war thanks ;)

GT Turbo

The ST version sounds a lot more aggressive whereas the Amiga version sounds rather effeminate. But it didn't appear that they were done by the same artist so I don't think it's really a fair comparison. This is like Trent Reznor vs. John Tesh.

The ST is clearly mono, and sounds unfiltered. The Amiga is clearly stereo and sounds filtered. The mono music on the ST adds channels together to help the base, while the Amiga is spread over two channels. Add the unknown filtering and you have the differences in the two.

The ST version sounds good in the title sequence - but in the actual game it sounds really muffled compared to the Amiga version. ( Makes sense, as you can allocate more cpu time to run the sample player at a higher frequency )

( Also is this ST or STe? as that would make a big difference to the quality of the audio )

The ST is clearly mono, and sounds unfiltered. The Amiga is clearly stereo and sounds filtered. The mono music on the ST adds channels together to help the base, while the Amiga is spread over two channels. Add the unknown filtering and you have the differences in the two.

I'm no talking about stereo but what the sounds like. You can add all filters you want, you can't do with a 'sampler player' all things you can do with the Yamaha. A very little example (In 128 bytes !) :

And when you type amiga 128 byte song on youtube you finish on Gwem (Atari ST demo!!), it's very more difficult to play a music in 128 bytes on amiga. You can play sample with the Yamaha, but it's a little bit more difficult to emulate the Yamaha with Paula. With the Yamaha you can generate song and not just play or recalculate them. That's the difference.

After it's like people love their songs, personnaly i love this kind of sound because, you have a new 'instrument' on each music, not like on amiga, where people always use the same sample bank and lot of songs sound like another one. I love some modules too, example Sectornotfound in Reboot's Superfly ( http://reboot.atari.org/superflydx/msgmp3/SECTORz.mod.mp3 ), because this module is different from a lot of amiga modules i have heard, sample i haven't heard before and a feeling, a spirit.

So the only important thing is we love music so don't stop it !! (Even if it' s an amiga module ;) )

GT :)

• Like 1

I'm no talking about stereo but what the sounds like. You can add all filters you want, you can't do with a 'sampler player' all things you can do with the Yamaha. A very little example (In 128 bytes !) :

Indeed you can't do with a sample player the things you can do with the Yamaha.

However the WoD intro song isn't a good example of this since in both cases (ST & Amiga) it is sample based. As Chilly Willy said, the ST version seems better because it's in mono ( which is better for the bass).

Also the ST version uses a lower sampling rate and is more grainy (a side effect of the trick used to make the Yamaha play samples). This is what makes the ST version sounds "deeper" and "more aggressive".

The Amiga version is too clean.

It's a bit like old vinyl record vs CD.

However, more proof that Atari is where it is at. The Amiga has Paula which essentially does everything for you and is, easy mode playback.. Only Atari kids hav ethe mad skillz and soul to get ossum sounds out of audio hardware in hardmode.. none of this pussy Amiga Paula hax rubbish for us Atari kids.. RRRAAAAARRRRRRR!!! :D :D :D

Atari.. why make life easy!

:D

• Like 2

Or just load our Falcon patched version, and have BOTH sets of music ;-)

Too bad that couldn't be done to improve Shadow of the Beast... man, the ST version stinks... [compared to the Amiga version]...

It could, but we couldn't be bothered :P

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

Some of you are apparently in france (in europe) yet you refer to it as the genesis and not the mega drive. And i thought that jerry probably would have custom synth instructions or something but it has the same core as the GPU so surely it would have more graphics instructions.

• 1 year later...

Well this topic is quite old, but I think it's still very relevant... And yes I do believe the GPU has some instructions for graphics if I recall.

Some of you are apparently in france (in europe) yet you refer to it as the genesis and not the mega drive. And i thought that jerry probably would have custom synth instructions or something but it has the same core as the GPU so surely it would have more graphics instructions.

Here's another question I have... A while back, wasn't there a midi interface built for the Atari Jaguar? Seem I recall a midi device built that could be connected to the back where the "Jaglink" device could be hooked up to. Does anyone know where I can find the website for that schematic?

It's been a long time since I visited this particular topic; it's nostalgic to read these old post so in the spirit of this topic, here's a couple of YouTube examples of 1-bit synthesizers using 8-bit processors to drive the sounds just to give an idea of what's possible.

Enjoy

Edited by philipj

You can also use one of those old MIDI adapters that were plugged into a PC soundcard joystick port:

MIDI-TO-JOYSTICK-CABLE.jpg

All is needed is a 15-pin Sub-D female connector (to plug into the adapter), a 12-pin card edge connector (to plug into the Jaguar's DSP port) and some wires.

Pinout for the adapter:

http://pinouts.ru/Inputs/GameportPCMidi_pinout.shtml

Pinout for the DSP port:

post-8748-0-87443700-1301427893_thumb.png

Connect +5V to +5V, GND to GND, UART_TXD to MIDITXD, and UART_RXD to MIDIRXD.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 4/18/2011 at 9:47 AM, kool kitty89 said:

Oh, wow, I hadn't realized there was no DMA support at all

Jerry DSP is the DMA. It can access the DRAM without the help of the CPU ( only needs the memory controller so not so direct like VIC-II ). I am sure that is how the hardware devs thought about it and that we software devs should be thankful. Additionally, they made it buggy for us to write into Jerry ( non DMA ) .

• Confused 6