IGNORED

Massive Atari collection for iPhone launches tonight

Flojomojo

Another thing I would like to see in these collections is GCC's Atari arcade games like Food Fight and Quantum. Food Fight is on Flashback 1 and a couple of GCC's Atari ports like Centipede and Battlezone are in collections, so it perplexes me why these games were never in collections. Is Super Missile Attack a possibility? It's an arcade hack of Missile Command from GCC that was the reason why they ended up making games for Atari.

I looked up some of the older 70s games at system 16. Discrete logic would need to be ported, but these and these can be emulated. Boxing looks like an interesting proto since it looks similar to a certain Activision 2600 game. The games in the first link even use the same hardware as one game already in collections, Super Breakout.

Edited by BrianC

Jeff,

Any chance of 5200 or 7800 (or Jag or Lynx for that matter) ad-on packs for this?

Always a chance. :)

Check your updates. It's now the free game and Pong is now longer free. It's included with the current version, which was updated (some of the control issues still need to be addressed.

Some suggestions:

-Missile Command is fine with finger controls and visible buttons. Button orientation should be an option. Track ball doesn't need to be visible, but the trackbll needs to be more responsive.

-sensitivity settings should be an option

-horizontally oriented games should allow horizontal orientation and vertical games should have an option for vertical orientation. Too many games like Q*Bert are stuck in horizontal mode with too small of a screen when the joystick isn't needed and swipe controls work best.

-games should have as much screen as possible while keeping the controls intact. Controls need to work, but they don't need to take up half the screen.

We wanted to get the first update out quickly to address some basic issues (iPad 3.2 bug, some misunderstandings about Pong). We're definitely listening to control feedback but didn't want to rush the job.

I'm also curious about Solaris. It was in FB1, but it keeps getting omitted from collections, despite Radar Lock and Star Raiders making it in.

You'll have to ask Atari's lawyers. :)

I have no problem with the early 70s being included, especilly since some like Sky Diver, Combat, Circus Atari, the Breakouts, Air Sea Battle, and Canyon Bomber are quite fun, but, aside from those that can't be emulated like Tank, is there a special reason why many of the arcade versions of Atari's 70s arcade games like Canyon Bomber, Video Pinball, and Ultra Tank aren't included? Some of these are quite fun, and it's disappointing not to see closer versions of the games that can be emulated.

It's always a possibility. The initial choices were made based on name recognition, I think. (Yes, some 2600 games are obscure, but the Atari 2600 is one item from a technology point of view.)

It's always a possibility. The initial choices were made based on name recognition, I think. (Yes, some 2600 games are obscure, but the Atari 2600 is one item from a technology point of view.)

cool. I think name recognition of some the 2600 games included could help some of the arcade games, though. Games like Sky Diver, Video Pinball (very different and later than the 2600 game, but has the same name), and Canyon Bomber have names that could be noticed from the 2600 versions. Promoting Ultra Tank's relation to Combat could help it too. I don't think Activision would like it if you used their 2600 games to premote Boxing, Avalanche, or Drag Race, though (though I certainly won't mind Drag Race or Avalanche in a collection). ;)

Edited by BrianC

We wanted to get the first update out quickly to address some basic issues (iPad 3.2 bug, some misunderstandings about Pong). We're definitely listening to control feedback but didn't want to rush the job.

Well, I'd be willing to test anything but what the controls are now... I find them unusable. :(

And, so I don't look like I'm just complaining... I want tilt controls with a configuration screen where a user could set sensitivity... I still think tilt would work well in asteroids and some of the other games...

Edited by unhuman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My only gripe is that for RealSports Basketball why wasn't the original box art used??

AFAIK, the box at http://www.atariage....areLabelID=2357 is fan-made.

Nope, I used the original artwork Atari used for the promotion prototype boxes.

Interesting. Good to know. Unfortunately, if Atari doesn't have paperwork to prove ownership, they don't let us use it.

Hey everyone!!

God I wish I could really appreciate this App for the iPad. I can say it was really done with a lot of love, but as one poster put it on here, the touch controls leave a lot to be desired for on some of the games. The controls really make you end up hating the ports.

I will say it's a really nice collection, though. The manual scans and the sheer number of different titles both Arcade and 2600 are awesome.

After spending a lot of time with it, my take-a-way is: "man... I wish there was a way i could plug my 2600 controllers into my ipad to play!!

Also, what about Gamecenter or SOME way to have a high scores leaderboard!? I mean that's what it's all about! =)

just my own thoughts...

D

My only gripe is that for RealSports Basketball why wasn't the original box art used??

AFAIK, the box at http://www.atariage....areLabelID=2357 is fan-made.

Nope, I used the original artwork Atari used for the promotion prototype boxes.

Marc, is there any way I could get a copy of that piece of artwork file, hi-res? I love that business!

I recently bought this app along with all game packages for it. I knew there were poor reviews and I also knew that these games were not designed to be played on a touch screen. I have a iPod Touch, so I was expecting my experience with this app to be kind of a letdown. Yet, I did want to have a chance to play classic Atari games on it since I do not have an Atari VCS system.

My feelings on the app is that I applaud everyone involved in making this app. It looks really nice. My problem with the app is what many other people have problems with...the controls. It plays OK on my 3rd Generation version but on my new 4th Generation it plays terribly. You would think the creators of this app would have made this app play nicely on the updated iPod Touch. But the joystick control on the later version is just horrible. I really hope that updated versions of the app will improve the controls.

Again, it is an impressive app just for the look and the amount of games to be played. It would be much better if the controls improve and the creators can get non-Atari licensed games to be added so the quality of games can get better.

Just as a side note, not happy with the iCade

First off, you have to put it together (was not expecting that). They don't use regular screws, they use hex, where the indentations are not deep enough where the wrench can stay inside the screw head. The anchors that the screws 'screw' into, move, so I ended up pulling them all out and using my own screws. After getting it together, I find that the top of the unit is not even level with the flap that makes up the top of the unit.

Yuck.

post-1787-0-69883400-1306367106_thumb.jpgpost-1787-0-93231200-1306367108_thumb.jpg

I'm very surprised @ ThinkGeek; Usually everything they endorse is well-made and great.

As far the interface, it is great. It's bluetooth, so you do have to pair it first, but it was easy to do. I have all 99 games, and the ones I have tested respond well. :)

There is a slight delay in some of the controls (I'm guessing because of the bluetoothe connection). If the application is looking for numbers as input, I may try to convert it to a hard-wired connection.

Back on topic, I love the applcation. I was wondering when someone was going to port these games to the iPhone, and it was done *right*. :)

Version 1.2 of the app appeared in the store last night. It adds more choice of control options, amongst other things.

One issue is that you need to download more content for every purchased game - presumably the extra graphics for the control option screen. It seems that the option to download content for all games at once isn't working, so at the moment you have to do it on a game by game basis.

Version 1.2 of the app appeared in the store last night.
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh, now it doesn't work anymore ! On iPhone1 with iOS313, it displays the first logo, the second logo, one or two seconds of music is heard, then it crashes back to springboard.

No way to run it. Damn. All has been tried (reboot, etc). Now I must remove it and put v1.1 back... Damn.

The latest version of the app seems to be working better, but it didn't save my games that I bought! I am able to download them again without having to pay (at least, I hope that's the case since I have already paid for them) but it will only allow me to download one at a time. Will I have to do this on every new version of the app? That is so annoying and is not fair to people who have already bought these games for the app. Is anybody else also having trouble with the latest release of the app?

It looked like it would work well with the disc setting in Asteroids and other arcade games, but the disc is a tad too large to work with the fling as it's very difficult to get thrust to trigger. It'd be really slick if a future update added a "fling" control option that uses the same disc control, but with a slightly smaller radius for the threshold for triggering thrust.

The new sensitive setting makes it work better with my fling, thanks!

Edited by SpiceWare