IGNORED

Massive Atari collection for iPhone launches tonight

Flojomojo

I'm late to the party, but I got an iPad2 for christmas and bought the full download of this as one of my first purchases... I guess I am not complaining because there is enough with the arcade games here to make it worth the $20 purchase but why oh why did they put all this 2600 garbage on here? There is barely anything worth playing on the 2600 end of things. Why couldn't they at least provide the same games list as the Flashback?

I did have a chance to try the iCade, and man is that thing worth the money. wow! totally off topic here but I can't seem to figure out how I managed to install iMame on my un-jailbroken iPad2. I literally do not remember how I got it on there. I am able to load roms too, it's not jailbroken, I just use the app on my laptop called Disk Aid. On the night I unwrapped my ipad, I was in a feverish state getting all the apps I wanted, searching the app store and elsewhere and the next day I realized I had iMame... but I don't know how I got it on there. I did visit the google source code site that has the deb file. but how did I install it on a non-jailbroken ipad... I'd like to repeat the process on my father in-law's ipad.

I did have a chance to try the iCade, and man is that thing worth the money. wow!

Seen the newly announced iCade models? While I like the Jr., I'll most likely get the mobile version for my iPhone.

totally off topic here but I can't seem to figure out how I managed to install iMame on my un-jailbroken iPad2. I literally do not remember how I got it on there.

iMAME showed up in the App Store for a brief period of time back in December before Apple realized what it was and removed it.

I did see the iCade mobile, great product for those with an iPhone. wish they'd make one for android os. [i do think they should offer right and left handed versions, perhaps they will since the product seems to be taking off nicely, and to think it was all due to the overwhelming positive response to someone's photo-shopped dream of the design before it was ever actually designed and sold]

I guess I MUST have nabbed iMame the night they took it down, wow that was lucky. I really don't want to jailbreak this thing but I may do it if they get the new IOS version under total control, I just updated before I read that the latest version is not quite as exploitable, or as easily done I guess.

I can't wait to try the Atari Collection on the iCade Jr for my iPod!

One silly question: there's no reason it should not work on an iPod Touch 2nd Generation running only iOS 4.2.1 right? I ask because that's what I've got. I do have the Atari Collection that uses iCade and my iOS does have Blue Tooth capability so should I run into any problems using this device? I wouldn't think so.

I can't wait to try the Atari Collection on the iCade Jr for my iPod!

One silly question: there's no reason it should not work on an iPod Touch 2nd Generation running only iOS 4.2.1 right? I ask because that's what I've got. I do have the Atari Collection that uses iCade and my iOS does have Blue Tooth capability so should I run into any problems using this device? I wouldn't think so.

I ask myself the same question. I have no good reason to upgrade my ipod touch at the moment. The form factor has changed a bit for 3rd and 4th gen. I think a likely reason that it might not work would be some software thingy that needs iOS 4.3 or greater.

• 5 months later...

Yesterday, in honor of the 40th anniversary of Pong, Atari made this collection completely free -- download it, go to in app purchase, and unlock everything for $0. The price will go back up very soon, so get this while you can.

The URL for iTunes is http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ataris-greatest-hits/id422966028?mt=8

Edited by bcombee

BTW, noticed something interesting in this the other day. In looking at the set of 2600 games included, they all use the Atari cartridge names when available except for one. Instead of "Video Olympics", they have "Pong Sports". The manual scan looks to be the Video Olympics manual with the name changed in a bitmap editor.

I suspect that due to greater trademark enforcement, Atari didn't want anything new out there using the word "Olympics", since the IOC is going after anyone and everyone using that term without an expensive license from them.

• 5 weeks later...

Dunno, Salem....but what I'm not sure about is this "token system" they're hyping.

It's not clear from any Googling or reading on the reviews or anything what that means. Does that mean:

1) That all the games I bought I now have to pay again to play each time I want to play them?? (i.e. put a token in?)

OR:

2) Token play is an ALTERNATIVE to buying them??

Aren't there 2600 emulators for iPhone?

Only for jailbroken iPhones.

Oh I have an Android so I can get emulators for just about everything ;)

I was among the lucky few to get imame before it was pulled (just hours after it's release) from the Apple Store. It works great on the ipad using the icade :)

Edited by SalemFrost7800

Okay, I couldn't find a straight answer, so I took a chance and "upgraded" Atari's Greatest Hits to v1.6. And I bought the entire package when it first came out, all 100+ games for $14.99 or whatever it was.

My findings?

The new token system does NOT make me use tokens. At all. What it does is if there's any game you actually purchased, the "Token" option is ghosted out or removed and the other button says "Unlimited Play."

So....it appears the "Token" option is for games you haven't actually purchased -- I guess sort of a try-before-you-buy thing.

Okay, I couldn't find a straight answer, so I took a chance and "upgraded" Atari's Greatest Hits to v1.6. And I bought the entire package when it first came out, all 100+ games for $14.99 or whatever it was.

My findings?

The new token system does NOT make me use tokens. At all. What it does is if there's any game you actually purchased, the "Token" option is ghosted out or removed and the other button says "Unlimited Play."

So....it appears the "Token" option is for games you haven't actually purchased -- I guess sort of a try-before-you-buy thing.

I think XBLA's game room worked like that. Too bad that fell flat on it's butt.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got the 8-bitty iCade and have been using it with my iPhone 4S. It works great for most apps, but AGH does not recognize it when I'm running it on my iPhone. I tried pairing it with my iPad and the 8-bitty worked just fine there. Possibly the software's assuming the iPhone won't work with an iCade?