IGNORED

Homebrew 5200 games for 2003

Cafeman

I would guess that the newly revealed "Irata's Adventure" by John and also Airworld will be done during 2003.

Myself, I'm back working Adventure II and that will be done in 2003. (Psst .. hey Raccoon ... where you at?!)

But the REAL reason I'm posting this is out of curiousity, two reasons -- one, what kinds of 5200 homebrews would YOU enjoy playing, and two, is there any interest in this (an on-off side project I've been dabbling with for a while now) --

As of now, I call it Cafeman's Miniature Golf. I always wanted to do a Golf game. (Watch somebody show me some awesome Atari 8bit mini-golf game that's been out for 20 years....!)

Here's an idea of one of the 'traditional course' holes could look like, imagine this pic surrounded by info about Par and Status and some additional graphics here & there.

post-37-1040331732.jpg

As usual Ron,

You got me yet Psyked up again for another release from you. Let's hope the sale and buying of my new homes will allow me some cash to actually be able to purchase this, Irata's Adventure, and Adventure II all during the next year!!!

I would love to see a really decent Mini Golf game done for either the 5200, 2600, or 7800 (Preferred!) made!

:D

It has been mentioned before, but I would love to see Gauntlet ported to the 5200 from 8bit (I know it is on disk on the 8-bit, so I don't know if it could be done). However, could a game like Gauntlet or Dark Chambers (or a new game in the mold of an old D&D hack and slash style game) be made for the 5200? That would be my wish for a 5200 homebrew.

I would love to see and old school RPG, along the same lines as Lord of the Dungeon for Coleco!

Maybe some sort of update/port of

Gateway to/Temple of Apshai

Also I would love to see ports of:

Galaga

Foot Fight

Donkey Kong/Jr

( I realize these are already on the 7800, it would just be one more reason why I could always leave my 5200 hooked up! )

Tutankham (an update of the 2600 game)

Major Havoc

Jumpman/Jr

Crazy Climber

Tapper

Klax

OK people, I have spoken, start making me my games!! :twisted: :wink:

Was your minigolf mockup influenced by this popular flash game?

http://web.mit.edu/wnellie/www/miniputt.swf

I would probably be up for a fun game like that on the 5200. A couple of things make the web game a little boring. There are only 18 holes so more courses are needed if you had enough memory maybe 3 or 4 18 hole courses would add replay value, if possible a random course generator would really make it awesome.

Also, there's a lack of personality in just having green hole after green hole. Maybe try incorporating classic Atari or videogame characters as obstacles or decorations in the holes, I'm also thinking about the great use of videogame characters in Mario Golf and Tennis. Anyways just some crazy ideas.

Congrats on the Golf Cafeman, it would be cool to have a real COLOR golf game. :)

I am considering one of the following for my next game after Irata.

Cloak & Dagger

Klax

Food Fight

Gauntlet

Gauntlet and Cloak And Dagger were sort of imposibilities with only 32k, but now with the technology I developed for Irata, they are posible. Anyone care to vote on which I should do?

I think it's better to make games in some catagories that are lacking on the 5200. Now that we'll have 3 different adventure games by the end of 2003, I'd like to see something different. How about skiing, Bowling, Volley Ball or hockey. A good hockey game would be cool. I'd like to see the 8-bit Donkey Kong ported to the 5200. Or how about a mini Super Mario Brothers type game. Some board games would be cool. Monopoly, Statego, Scrabble, Yatzee, Othello, etc. Another game I'd like to see for the 5200 is Caverns of Mars on the 8-bit. There were a lot of cool games written in Basic and Assembly for the 8-bit published in Antic, Analog, and Compute that would be cool! Some of the exclusive Colecovision games would be cool. Anybody for 5200 Smurf Rescue. :) Or how about some more supped up 2600. Frog Pond, Circus Atari, Outlaw, Midnight Magic, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Stunt Cycle, SuperMan, Warlords. Also I'd love to see the Intellivision game B-17 Bomber for the 5200. It could be the first homebrew game with voice! By the way, does anybody know what happened to the 5200 Tempest Project?

Allan

I would love to see and old school RPG, along the same lines as Lord of the Dungeon for Coleco!  

I've never played that game.. but once I get 5200 Solitaire and 2600 Radial Pong done my next planned project is 5200 Moria (AD&D style rpg, top view, text graphics). This was a favorite of mine growing up. The lack of pretty graphics allowed my imagination to fill in the details so I could really get into it. Later myself (and a friend) figured out how to hack the save file to get better stats and keep/improve items, which kinda spoiled the game, but that was still fun :roll:

One other Moria exploit involved adding colors to the game with a TSR (old MS-DOS program that ran in the background). This was one of my first assembly language projects.. one of the main reasons I learned ASM was for making TSRs. I guess the knowledge is pretty outdated now, but it made me learn a LOT about the details of how things worked. Definitely worthwhile.

calamari

Cafeman:

After the way Yellow Kopter turned out, I think I'd be interested in just about any games you create for the 5200. I'm looking forward to buying many more homebrews for this incredible system.

As for 5200 ports I'd like to see:

Ladybug

Donkey Kong Arcade with all levels present

Galaga

Time Pilot

I'm always a fan of new homebrews for the Atari 5200. It takes me back to when I was a kid and made a trek to the toystore to buy the latest game with my allowance money I'd saved up for weeks and sometimes months :D

Wow, so much to respond to!

Okay, let me first talk about the miniature golf game.

Was your minigolf mockup influenced by this popular flash game?

===> Actually, that hole that I showed was indeed influenced by the flash game! However, I have actually been thinking about this for quite a while now, doing a miniature golf game, as I will describe shortly.

A couple of things make the web game a little boring. There are only 18 holes so more courses are needed if you had enough memory maybe 3 or 4 18 hole courses would add replay value, if possible a random course generator would really make it awesome.  

Also, there's a lack of personality in just having green hole after green hole. Maybe try incorporating classic Atari or videogame characters as obstacles or decorations in the holes, I'm also thinking about the great use of videogame characters in Mario Golf and Tennis. Anyways just some crazy ideas.

===> Yes, I agree. I'd like my game to have more than one course of maybe 9 holes each (not sure how much space I'll have yet), and one will be traditional as I've shown above. I also plan on putting some kind of randomized option in there too! I wanted to also incorporate more typically zany 80's ideas into the other course(s). Let me answer one more thing here then I'll spill all the beans.

You weren't at all inspired by my post about "A Much Better Miniature Golf" in the 2600 forum thread on Miniature Golf were you?

===> As I said above, I've been thinking about this for a while, but I have been reading that thread and it prompted me to bring the subject up!

-------------------------

Okay, I ran this past Al Y and I see he has responded to me so I assume it's okay to use the Atari Age name here.

The name is actually "Atari Age Golf". I would like to include (perhaps non-copyrighted?) classic 80's game themes or characters, but also themes that are about some of us here at Atari Age. So I'm going to want some ideas, I wouldn't mind seeing some ideas on courses too.

FOR EXAMPLE ... What say on the Atari Age course, the first miniature golf hole is entitled "Bologna Alley"? Think about it ... get ready to play it later on in 2003. Moycon's name would need to appear in some way of course. :D

I'd like to make references to members here and threads we've made. There's no way I could include everybody, but hopefully lots!

I'd also like to make references to other 5200 homebrews, so you authors, I'd like your specific PERMISSION either in this thread or by emailing me to use your game. It would be neat to have allusions to Castle Blast, Solitaire, Swordquest, Combat II, Irata, or others in some levels. I guess I'll have to email you 5200 homebrewers to get the 'okay' before I actually put somebody else's work into it.

If you've got ideas for course, if you want to design a course, feel free to share. The game will come together and it just might be something special! In the meantime (and Adventure II is my #1 priority anyway), I'm going to continue working on the actual ball momentum and angles. So there's no hurry here, maybe we can all think about it and the ideas can spring up over time, eh?

Okay, that's all I have to say about thaaaaaaat. [/forrestgump imitation]

:)

The other homebrew 'requests' for 5200 duly noted. personally, I'd love to hack 8bit Donkey Kong and put it on 5200.

I think it's better to make games in some catagories that are lacking on the 5200. Now that we'll have 3 different adventure games by the end of 2003, I'd like to see something different. How about skiing, Bowling, Volley Ball or hockey. A good hockey game would be cool.

I'd honestly agree with that assessment, considering the sports category was not well supported by Atari for the 5200...just a few released games, an unreleased prototype Basketball, and that's all they wrote!

Some board games would be cool. Monopoly, Stratego, Scrabble, Yatzee, Othello, etc.

I'm not sure how anyone could possibly do Monopoly on the 5200, though I'd agree it could sure use some boardgame translations

Another game I'd like to see for the 5200 is Caverns of Mars on the 8-bit. There were a lot of cool games written in Basic and Assembly for the 8-bit published in Antic, Analog, and Compute that would be cool!

That would be interesting, at least from the view of one who hasn't even

owned an Atari home computer system (just borrowed an XE Game System from a friend for a brief while in the early 90s).

Some of the exclusive Colecovision games would be cool. Anybody for 5200 Smurf Rescue. :)

MEEEEEEEEEE...!!!

Or how about some more supped up 2600. Frog Pond, Circus Atari, Outlaw, Midnight Magic, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Stunt Cycle, SuperMan, Warlords.

I'm not sure about those titles being reiterated or updated somewhat, with the probable exception of like Midnight Magic, since the 5200 lacks a pinball game.

Also I'd love to see the Intellivision game B-17 Bomber for the 5200. It could be the first homebrew game with voice!

While we're at it, how about a 5200 version of TRON Deadly Disks (though the title might need some changing due to Disney owning the rights to TRON), or Astrosmash, or Night Stalker, or Space Battle (which I like in both the Atari 2600 and Intellivision formats; the closest thing I can get to actually playing Battlestar Galactica as a game), or Burgertime, or Bump N Jump, or Lock N Chase?

I actually would like to see an original 5200 title that makes use of the 360 degree movement of the joystick. I think this would make for an unique 5200 title because the 8-bit couldn't do this since it has a digital joystick.

An example of this would be how a game company used the Namco controller for the PSX as a way ring out water from a wash cloth. I thought that was pretty cool.

Debro, I really love the way Missile Command 5200 uses the stick for its cursor. At first it seems 'odd', but after a game or two it becomes 2nd nature, even more accurate than with a trak-ball.

BTW, what is the status with the Swordquest Airworld game, people?! I haven't seen or heard anything about that for a long, long time.

Yes! Cypher must be completed soon! Not left hanging whilst favored-son prototypes get all Tempest's attention.

To tell you the truth, I've been thinking about it. Cypher got put on the back burner while I've been fiddling with my new webapge, but after some massive updates I should have time to work on it again. However I have some real world stuff I have to tackle first for my job (I have to pick up Essbase and VB). I'll get to Cypher sometime next year, but it may not be ready for CGE 2K3. It'll get finished when it gets finished, I'm going to take all the time I need.

Of course after seeing all these great new homebrews Cypher is begining to look like crap. I may need to update it a bit.

Tempest