IGNORED

Best Consoles for Game Store Display

I've been approached by a friend of mine that owns a video game store to do a display of console history with some of the pieces from my collection. This will be done in conjunction with a couple of other events at his store over the course of a Saturday in May.

My current plan is to have complete runs of the major companies (Atari, Sega, Nintendo) along with a most of the other major consoles released here in the US. I may skip things like the RCA Studio 2, Channel F, APF, Nuon, CDTV, CD32, and any others that are really obscure unless it seems like there may be interest. I can bring some of the rarer consoles, but feel like those will only have interest to other collectors and not the general gaming public (that and I don't want to risk transporting them for nothing). I will also likely include some development hardware (PS1, PS2, Xbox) as well as some of the more well known Japanese releases (Famicom, Famicom Disk, SuperGrafx, etc). Most, if not all, of what I bring will be under glass and I'll be there all day to supervise.

My question is what consoles would have the most impact to a typical gamer that isn't necessarily a collector or even to collectors that aren't into the truly oddball stuff?

• Like 1

Interesting question. I would say, go for stuff that is both iconic and estheticly pleasing. For starters, the 2600 JR and toaster NES, maybe the NES Advantage and Power Glove (I didn't say they had to be good!). I wouldn't put out wires. 2600 famously has a lot of great box art, maybe you can put some of these in full view. Same with NES games. Also, do you have any Nintendo Power posters or magazines? A lot of those were very colorful. If you go the Atari or C64 route, maybe you can have something running on a vintage moniter, those are really pretty looking. Old Macs like the Color Classic are also very pretty and iconic.

Interesting question. I would say, go for stuff that is both iconic and estheticly pleasing. For starters, the 2600 JR and toaster NES, maybe the NES Advantage and Power Glove (I didn't say they had to be good!). I wouldn't put out wires. 2600 famously has a lot of great box art, maybe you can put some of these in full view. Same with NES games. Also, do you have any Nintendo Power posters or magazines? A lot of those were very colorful. If you go the Atari or C64 route, maybe you can have something running on a vintage moniter, those are really pretty looking. Old Macs like the Color Classic are also very pretty and iconic.

That's exactly what I'm after, iconic. I hadn't really considered any peripherals or magazines. I was kicking around having games for some of the systems, in particular the Famicom + Disk combo. Those are just cool looking imo! I have also thought about having something live, but the stuff that I play on a regular basis would likely bore most people. Maybe use some shmups or something quick and fun.

Man, my local game pawn chain Game Over has a pretty cool area set up as a gaming museum. They've got from Pong up through NES, a CDX, Playdia, Virtual Boy, several of those weird old home computers, XEGS, plenty of Gameboy revisions... there's a start.

A Playdia?? I really need to drive the couple of hours to Austin again and hit this place. I keep hearing great things about it.

I would have:

Atari 2600............. looks neat, like a station wagon...funny !...Woody!

NES....................... Toaster!

Atari Jaguar............64 BIT back then? (with CD) OMG a toilet!

Vectrex....................Thats COOL looking!

Intelli/Coleco.........I remember those!

Gameboy...............Mean Green Screen.

Sega CDX..............Wow its so small, freaking portable too!

And a C64/Amiga...Always wanted one of those (shadow of the beasts on a amiga is still impressive..sight & sound)

And Posters or arcade marquees would look neato too!

Even under glass and being there all day to supervise, I don't know if I would risk anything ultra-rare as far as systems go. What if you had an auto accident in transit to or from the game store and your stuff got smashed? What if some desparado held up the store that day and took your rare stuff? Its not worth the risk to me.

Going by that, my inclination would be to display common to slightly rarer game systems. Atari VCS to current gen, but nothing like 3DO, Neo Geo, or PC Engine in that mix.

I would have:

Atari 2600............. looks neat, like a station wagon...funny !...Woody!

NES....................... Toaster!

Atari Jaguar............64 BIT back then? (with CD) OMG a toilet!

Vectrex....................Thats COOL looking!

Intelli/Coleco.........I remember those!

Gameboy...............Mean Green Screen.

Sega CDX..............Wow its so small, freaking portable too!

And a C64/Amiga...Always wanted one of those (shadow of the beasts on a amiga is still impressive..sight & sound)

And Posters or arcade marquees would look neato too!

I would add a Genesis model 1, a Virtual Boy, and an N64 to that and call it good

I ran by the store and took inventory of what he already has in stock. The list so far:

Atari 2600 (Heavy Sixer)

Atari 5200

Atari Lynx

NES Toaster

SNES

N64

Gamecube

Virtual Boy

Sega Master System (1 and 2)

Genesis (1)

Dreamcast

Saturn

Game Gear

PS1 (Original and mini)

PS2 (fat and slim)

PS3 (slim)

3DO

Sega 32x

Sega CD (side loader)

TG16

TG16 CD

Odyssey 2

So I'm thinking about bringing the following to fill in the gaps:

Atari 7800

Atari XEGS

Gameboy (brick)

Famicom

Famicom Disk

Vectrex

Sega CDX or JVC Xeye

Xbox (debug)

PS1 (debug)

PS2 (debug)

Gamecube (debug)

Colecovision

Intellivision

Neo Geo AES

Super Grafx

Atari Jaguar

Atari Jaguar CD

The debug stuff may not make the cut. We figure there's room for about 40 consoles under glass so we are already at critical mass. My main goal is still to cover the major US releases and really want to have at least the big 3 80's manufacturers covered completely. But keeping it interesting is still a priority as well. I'm starting to wish I had more room!

Honestly, I say go for the rare stuff. CD32, Neo Geo, CDI A'Can, Verctrex, debugs etc.

Personally, my favorite thing about taking out a weird console is having someone say "What the hell is that?"

Then again, I'm a big fan of the obscure stuff...

I'd go for a Neo Geo AES (or custom CMVS), Jaguar w/ CD, XEGS, and Virtual Boy. That should be odd enough. Maybe drop the Neo Geo system off the list, and put in a few AES games instead (the games look neater, and I'd want to play the Neo Geo before too long).

I'll likely have some games for the more obscure stuff. Easy enough to have an AES cart stuffed in the slot for effect. Not sure which title to take, but that's easy enough to decide later. I think a Famicom Disk game will be cool to display as well.

I may add the CD32 to the list. Mainly because I have an easily accessible spare that I can take. It's getting into the edge of too obscure, but that might be a good thing. Give the people that think they know console history something to wonder about!

Definitely have a CD32! Those things look slick.

I stopped by Game Over today to get a new power supply for the VB and snapped a few photos of their game console museum. Sorry you can't read the info cards but I'm sure you can figure them out. Also, they've got console boxes on display around the ceiling of the entire store.

post-26529-0-80851000-1302414417_thumb.jpg post-26529-0-40805300-1302414424_thumb.jpg

Posters.

post-26529-0-30730500-1302414430_thumb.jpg post-26529-0-19902700-1302414435_thumb.jpg

Yellowing XEGS.

post-26529-0-48220100-1302414440_thumb.jpg post-26529-0-37535500-1302414445_thumb.jpg

X'Eye, Playdia, Pair of 3DOs, TG16 has CD attachment.

post-26529-0-01287600-1302414451_thumb.jpg post-26529-0-42597000-1302414455_thumb.jpg

New power cord revealed that my own VB is dead :( I need to get a little case for my power glove (also signed by F. Savage & the director).

Edited by Rex Dart

Thanks for the pics! That helps out a lot. I really need to make a trip down that way and check that place out.

I'm pretty close on my final list. I *may* take my SNES MACS rifle for the sheer wow factor, but it takes up so much space to display it properly that I may not. May just fill in the gaps with some of the more obscure handhelds like the Wonderswan, Gizmondo, Cougar Boy, etc. Might be time to measure the display cases and start laying consoles out to see what I can do!

You should do the info cards like the display in Rex Dart's post. May be a little time consuming, but it really adds to the wow factor. icon_thumbsup.gif

Yea, I plan to have those. That's why I'm trying to nail down my list early so that I know what I need to write. 35+ consoles will take some time to get them all together!

I think the general gaming public would be more interested in the lesser known things. It's cool to see new things and not the same old crap over and over.

Agreed. I'll have an xbox, but it's a debug. Same with the PS1 and PS2. Something obscure but not too obscure to be confusing!

My suggestions if you have them

XEGS

Sega Nomad

Turbo Duo

Saturn

All will be there with the exception of the Turbo Duo. I still haven't picked one of them up for myself :(