IGNORED

Found a Second Adam Floppy Drive...

the-topdog

I was going through a few boxes of Commodore 64 stuff that I got a few months back on Craigslist, but haven't had a chance to look at. This guy gave me his entire Commodore setup for $20 if I would haul it off for him.

From one box I pulled out a ton of floppies and cables to uncover what I thought were two Commodore 1541 drives. I grabbed the first one and checked its condition and then grabbed the 2nd one to find out it was a Coleco Adam drive! :D

This both excited me and depressed me because I just bought an Adam floppy drive from a fellow AtariAge member just a week or two ago... damn. So now I am contemplating my good fortune and wondering if I shouldn't sell it after testing it, or just hang onto it as a spare since they are so dang rare. I'm sure the guy will be bummed out whenever he goes to sell his Adam and the drive is missing.

Consider this an interest check to see if any AtariAge members might be interested in this if I decide to list it in the Marketplace.

I was going through a few boxes of Commodore 64 stuff that I got a few months back on Craigslist, but haven't had a chance to look at. This guy gave me his entire Commodore setup for $20 if I would haul it off for him.

From one box I pulled out a ton of floppies and cables to uncover what I thought were two Commodore 1541 drives. I grabbed the first one and checked its condition and then grabbed the 2nd one to find out it was a Coleco Adam drive! :D

This both excited me and depressed me because I just bought an Adam floppy drive from a fellow AtariAge member just a week or two ago... damn. So now I am contemplating my good fortune and wondering if I shouldn't sell it after testing it, or just hang onto it as a spare since they are so dang rare. I'm sure the guy will be bummed out whenever he goes to sell his Adam and the drive is missing.

Consider this an interest check to see if any AtariAge members might be interested in this if I decide to list it in the Marketplace.

You should use it so you can make duplicate floppies with your ADAM. The main reason I have never got an ADAM is the floppy drive rarity factor. I have no desire at all to use DDPs.

Your a lucky guy. Have to test it and let us know if it works.

Edited by Yurkie

You should use it so you can make duplicate floppies with your ADAM. The main reason I have never got an ADAM is the floppy drive rarity factor. I have no desire at all to use DDPs.

You don't need two drives (Disk or Data Drives) to make copies, you can do so with only one... but it takes a little longer and there is some disk swapping involved. When making copies, it's nice to have a Memory Expander installed in the ADAM (especially a 256K Memory Expander) since it's used as a copy buffer.

You don't need two drives (Disk or Data Drives) to make copies, you can do so with only one... but it takes a little longer and there is some disk swapping involved. When making copies, it's nice to have a Memory Expander installed in the ADAM (especially a 256K Memory Expander) since it's used as a copy buffer.

What does it do copy part of the disk to RAM, ask you to insert the blank and so on back and forth until entire disc is finished?

What does it do copy part of the disk to RAM, ask you to insert the blank and so on back and forth until entire disc is finished?

You got that right! :D And you don't even own an ADAM! :D

Seriously though, there are a large number of copy programs for the ADAM and File Manager v3.0 by AJM Software and Backup+ v3.0 by M.M.S.G. are THE best ones. They both offer up about a 40K copy buffer, so to copy a 160K disk would take 8 disk swaps. If you had a memory expander, all that spce would be added to the copy buffer as well... making for a lot less disk or data pack swapping when using only one drive.

I also used to use another copy program that would copy the contents of a disk or data pack to a large memory expander and then allow you to make multiple copies back to disk/ddp. The contents of the memory expander would remain intact until you reset the system or initialized the memory expander.

Edited by NIAD

Did you test the floppy drive? Does it work? You going to keep or sell?

I will be hooking that bad-boy up later today. I'm still debating on whether to sell it or keep it for my 2nd Adam system.

One thing I would seriously consider is trading one of my drives for an Adam printer and box with styrofoam inserts... that is all I am missing to have a "complete" Adam set. Right now I am running on external power supplies on both of mine.

Edited by the-topdog

Woohoo! I tested the drive and it works great. The only thing is that it doesn't have an AdamNet cable, I had to use the one off of the other drive to test it. Does anyone know where I can get a spare AdamNet cable?

I think you can use a regular phone cable as long as it has the extra pin in it (ie. not the standard one).

Tempest

Woohoo! I tested the drive and it works great. The only thing is that it doesn't have an AdamNet cable, I had to use the one off of the other drive to test it. Does anyone know where I can get a spare AdamNet cable?

Try this link:

http://www.showmecables.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=2912&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=15-302-003R

We used to use up to 6' ADAMnet Cables so up to 7' should be fine, not sure if you can go any longer without causing problems.

Edited by NIAD

Ok, I'm going to go ahead and sell my spare drive. I'm looking for $175 shipped or $100 plus an Adam printer. I'll list it in the marketplace unless anyone here wants it. I will also be listing a spare CIB Dragon's Lair and CIB Super Zaxxon (the only two games to be officially released on disk) for $100 each shipped. Again, if someone here wants them before I list them in the marketplace, let me know.

Edited by the-topdog