IGNORED

Atari Games w/ Same Name

gracias

I'm just looking at games made by Atari.

Basic Math = Fun with Numbers

Memory Match = Game of Concentration

Championship Soccer = Pele's Soccer

Are these the only ones where the name was changed but the game is exactly the same?

Also,

Super Football = Realsports Football (slightly changed)

Super Baseball = Realsports Baseball (slightly changed)

Asterix = Taz (title screen changed, is this the only difference?)

Does Asterix really exist in NTSC?

Defender II = Stargate (title screen changed, is this the only difference?).

Now Obelix is completely different from Asterix / Taz, right?

And, Donkey Kong, Donkey Jr, Mouse Trap, Q*Bert, Venture are the exact same games as the 3rd party counterparts, correct?

Let me know if there's anything I'm missing. What I'm after with all of this is that I'm trying to determine all games that have different ROMs, even if the difference is only very slight. I would also be interested games which have changes to the ROM that you cannot distinguish from the title on the cartridge. Bug fixes, etc. Thanks guys.

Super Football = Realsports Football (slightly changed)

Actually, this one is completely different.

Asterix = Taz (title screen changed, is this the only difference?)

Does Asterix really exist in NTSC?

Yeah, just graphical differences as far as I know. There is indeed an NTSC version.

Now Obelix is completely different from Asterix / Taz, right?

And, Donkey Kong, Donkey Jr, Mouse Trap, Q*Bert, Venture are the exact same games as the 3rd party counterparts, correct?

Yep (for both questions).

I'm not going through the whole list, but I think all but two of the Sears Telegames carts were identical to an Atari branded cart. Some had names unique to Sears, and some were named the same as Atari's, but the labels were different (colors/fonts). Those other two were Sears exclusives (Steeplechase, Stellar Track).

A Game of Concentration, Hunt & Score, Memory Match

AirSea Battle, Target Fun

Arcade Golf, Miniature Golf

Arcade Pinball, Video Pinball

Baseball, Homerun

Breakaway IV, Breakout

...and that's just through the 'B's (look upstairs at Atariage for the rest of the Sears games).

I'm not going through the whole list, but I think all but two of the Sears Telegames carts were identical to an Atari branded cart. Some had names unique to Sears, and some were named the same as Atari's, but the labels were different (colors/fonts). Those other two were Sears exclusives (Steeplechase, Stellar Track).

And Submarine Commander

A Game of Concentration, Hunt & Score, Memory Match

AirSea Battle, Target Fun

Arcade Golf, Miniature Golf

Arcade Pinball, Video Pinball

Baseball, Homerun

Breakaway IV, Breakout

...and that's just through the 'B's (look upstairs at Atariage for the rest of the Sears games).

There was a recent thread about this that I am aware of. That was why I didn't mention Sears.

I would also be interested games which have changes to the ROM that you cannot distinguish from the title on the cartridge.

If I understand what you're saying, then Asteroids would be one. Although that link is to the prototypes site, both ROMs were released.

Yes thank you this is exactly what I mean. Are there any other examples like this? Which cartridges of Asteroids are most likely to have/not have the title screen?

After digging around the only other example I could find was the multiple variations on Diagnostic Cartridge.

So we have:

Concentration = Hunt and Score

Pele's Soccer = Championship Soccer

Football Realsports Soccer = Realsports Soccer

The above 4 have different names but are the exact same game.

The following can be considered "hacks":

Defender II = Stargate (graphical changes)

Super Baseball = Realsports Baseball (graphical and some gameplay changes)

Taz = Asterix (graphical changes)

Pepsi Invaders = Space Invaders (graphical changes)

Atari Video Cube = Rubik's Cube (graphical changes)

The following have different versions that exist:

Asteroids (one with title screen, one without) - how can you tell???

Diagnostic Cartridge - different versions exist

If there's anything else to add here let me know.

After digging around the only other example I could find was the multiple variations on Diagnostic Cartridge.

So we have:

Concentration = Hunt and Score

Pele's Soccer = Championship Soccer

Football Realsports Soccer = Realsports Soccer

The above 4 have different names but are the exact same game.

The following can be considered "hacks":

Defender II = Stargate (graphical changes)

Super Baseball = Realsports Baseball (graphical and some gameplay changes)

Taz = Asterix (graphical changes)

Pepsi Invaders = Space Invaders (graphical changes)

Atari Video Cube = Rubik's Cube (graphical changes)

The following have different versions that exist:

Asteroids (one with title screen, one without) - how can you tell???

Diagnostic Cartridge - different versions exist

If there's anything else to add here let me know.

Dukes of Hazzard / Stunt Cycle

Saboteur / The A-Team

8)

Saboteur / The A-Team

8)

Ok, Rom. Someone needs to say this to you and it hurts me to be the one. Your site contains a wealth of useful information about the Atari. It is by far the most comprehensive. But accessing that information is near impossible at times because of the sheer volume of information.

This is why I am seeking my information - at this time only on NTSC Atari releases. All of the PAL releases make it very difficult to obtain the information, and trying to restrict searches to NTSC is a fruitless effort because of South American redundancies and other superfluous additions. Please create a United States / Canada only page. Don't take this the wrong way and I pledge myself to do what I can to help you if you would humble yourself to accepting my help...quite frankly as of right now AtariAge and AtariProtos are much more practical sites for learning the subtleties of Atari variations than yours. Cheers.

Superman has 2 versions, so does Othello.

What are the differences? Any way to indicate by cart, perhaps date stamps even?

Re: Othello, From Atarimania:

"Two different versions of this game exist. The original Atari text label version doesn’t have the four grid 'markers' that other versions have. "

Re: Superman, from Atariage Tips, cheats, and Easter Eggs:

"In older releases of the cartridge -- usually those with no picture on the front (although NOT all of these) -- starting the game by first holding the fire button down and then simultaneously pushing the joystick to one direction for two seconds (i.e. starting the clock by using your X-Ray Vision for a bit) will cause the bridge to not explode, Superman to not change into Clark Kent and three extra (and insignificant) bridge pieces to be piled on top of one another in the subway."

Are you looking for 3rd party games, or just Atari releases?

Activision Bridge had two versions- the earlier rom had a bug where (I think) the computer would bid 8NT and the game would crash.

Edited by toiletunes

Superman has 2 versions, so does Othello.

What are the differences? Any way to indicate by cart, perhaps date stamps even?

Re: Othello, From Atarimania:

"Two different versions of this game exist. The original Atari text label version doesn’t have the four grid 'markers' that other versions have. "

Re: Superman, from Atariage Tips, cheats, and Easter Eggs:

"In older releases of the cartridge -- usually those with no picture on the front (although NOT all of these) -- starting the game by first holding the fire button down and then simultaneously pushing the joystick to one direction for two seconds (i.e. starting the clock by using your X-Ray Vision for a bit) will cause the bridge to not explode, Superman to not change into Clark Kent and three extra (and insignificant) bridge pieces to be piled on top of one another in the subway."

Are you looking for 3rd party games, or just Atari releases?

Activision Bridge had two versions- the earlier rom had a bug where (I think) the computer would bid 8NT and the game would crash.

Yeah I've heard the Bridge thing before. Last I heard no one around here was sure about how to test it out due to ignorance in the game of Bridge. Right now I'm just focusing on Atari titles but is we've already exhausted everything that is known there then we can move onto 3rd party releases.

Saboteur / The A-Team

8)

Ok, Rom. Someone needs to say this to you and it hurts me to be the one. Your site contains a wealth of useful information about the Atari. It is by far the most comprehensive. But accessing that information is near impossible at times because of the sheer volume of information.

This is why I am seeking my information - at this time only on NTSC Atari releases. All of the PAL releases make it very difficult to obtain the information, and trying to restrict searches to NTSC is a fruitless effort because of South American redundancies and other superfluous additions. Please create a United States / Canada only page. Don't take this the wrong way and I pledge myself to do what I can to help you if you would humble yourself to accepting my help...quite frankly as of right now AtariAge and AtariProtos are much more practical sites for learning the subtleties of Atari variations than yours. Cheers.

Blah, blah, blah.

You obviously haven't fiddled long enough with our Advanced Search page, have you?

http://www.atarimania.com/advanced-search-atari-2600-vcs-game-_2_G.html

Here:

http://www.atarimania.com/pgelstsoft.awp?system=2&type=G&publisher=6&country=16&format=2&step=200

And here:

http://www.atarimania.com/pgelstsoft.awp?system=2&type=G&country=3&format=2&step=200

Took me about 3 seconds.

Just select a country and a format, that's all.

And as for AtariAge and AtariProtos being more practical sites for learning the subtleties of Atari variations than Atarimania: don't make a fool of yourself.

Please check out Philflound's site instead if you continue having difficulties with ours.

It's very user friendly.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I would also be interested games which have changes to the ROM that you cannot distinguish from the title on the cartridge.

If I understand what you're saying, then Asteroids would be one. Although that link is to the prototypes site, both ROMs were released.

Yes thank you this is exactly what I mean. Are there any other examples like this? Which cartridges of Asteroids are most likely to have/not have the title screen?

From my carts of Asteroids the only one that doesn't have the copyright screen is the one with the asteroid at the bottom not fully on the label. I only have one of these. The rest have the asteroid fully on the label and the copyright screen. If others find the exact same correlation then AtariProtos maybe be wrong about them not being distinguishable from the outside of the cart. Look at the asteroids on the bottom of these labels. Test yours and please tell me what you find. There are also variations of the label with the asteroid fully on the label with the cx number as you can see here. The missing copyright might not just be on the one with the asteroid not fully on the label but also on one or more of the different cx number variations but I suspect that there is a correlation between label variations and the copyright screen.

AtariAsteroidsM(a).jpgAtariAsteroidsM(b,e).jpg