IGNORED

VI for SpartaDOS ?

Frankie

Yes, but I haven't had the time to even consider if it's possible. If Jon wasn't so busy with the GUI I's suggest it to him since he has a little experience with text editors ;)

I had wondered about finding the source for a small version and seeing if I could build it with CC65 but I imagine it would take some work.

It would be cool though :cool:

Edited by spookt

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' timestamp='1302271310' post='2253658]

Try http://ex-vi.sourceforge.net/

It's approximately 160 K on a i386...

However there are features such as UTF-8 support that could be removed.

There was also the STevie editor (Small vi clone for the ST), but looking on simtel this ran to about 51KB in size.

Hmm. Well I can't promise to even look at it until after Easter, but if no-one beats me to it I'll take a look at that source. Thanks Sub.

Edited by spookt

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' timestamp='1302271310' post='2253658]

Try http://ex-vi.sourceforge.net/

It's approximately 160 K on a i386...

However there are features such as UTF-8 support that could be removed.

There was also the STevie editor (Small vi clone for the ST), but looking on simtel this ran to about 51KB in size.

Hmm. Well I can't promise to even look at it until after Easter, but if no-one beats me to it I'll take a look at that source. Thanks Sub.

No problem, I guess the key will be deciding

1) if "ex" can comfortably fit in to memory.

2) what features are not needed from the 386 version of vi

but is would be cool to see vi up and running on the a8 so good look. :)

• Like 1

vi, what a fantastic editor.

Every time I switch from vi to some other editor, I'm always very disappointed and start hitting the wrong keys.

Sometimes when I switch to my BladeLogic editor at work, hitting escape while editing a file will make me discard all of my changes. Grr!!!

Yes, but I haven't had the time to even consider if it's possible. If Jon wasn't so busy with the GUI I's suggest it to him since he has a little experience with text editors ;)

I had wondered about finding the source for a small version and seeing if I could build it with CC65 but I imagine it would take some work.

Do we need to start from scratch or do a pragmatic port? We have a working editor engine here. It might be faster to adapt that to the job at hand

There's a clone for the C64. Shame it doesn't appear to be open-source.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Do we need to start from scratch or do a pragmatic port? We have a working editor engine here. It might be faster to adapt that to the job at hand

There's a clone for the C64. Shame it doesn't appear to be open-source.

Yes I agree, but I thought you were busy enough ;)

It would be interesting to see how much of vi's functionality could be implemented. I have used vi/vim heavily every day for pretty much the last 20 years. The appeal of having vi on the A8 is hard to exaggerate for me.

Edited by spookt

With the specific exception of a few security oriented functions, I thought the world moved to nano??? <-similar to DOS's edit program. You guys and your editors... Reason being that this is a Microsoft-centric world, which is also why things like ylmf os exist.

EDIT: ok you got me, bottom of the page here says "VIM - a text editor"... :)

With the specific exception of a few security oriented functions, I thought the world moved to nano??? <-similar to DOS's edit program. You guys and your editors... Reason being that this is a Microsoft-centric world, which is also why things like ylmf os exist.

EDIT: ok you got me, bottom of the page here says "VIM - a text editor"... :)

Well this may be a Microsoft centric world, but I for one choose to opt out. Out of 5 modern machines in the house, one runs Windows and that's the kids machine and only because it's what they see at school. The rest are Linux and Mac. Being that I'm a Unix / Linux Sysadmin by trade may have something to do with it ;)

I never really got on with nano - guess just because when I was learning it didn't exist and I never found a reason to switch. Using vi is just second nature now and blindingly quick. I even use it right here on my MacBook.

Edited by spookt

For the ignorant and unwashed: What is VI? Thanks.

'vi' is the Visual Editor. It is ubiquitous on *Nix operating systems. If you want to experience some of the most bitter flamewars ever waged, Google 'vi vs. emacs'. Emacs is another editor for Unix-alikes and the two have extremely passionate fanbases. It's worse than Yankees/Red Sox. No kidding.

The only thing that VI offers is a small, clean, quick editing environment, that runs virtually on any platform that can compile it. There's no particluar features that set it apart in my opinion, and its flawed in several ways, the most notable being the lack of a column cut/paste feature. But it fast, the key combos are concise, and reliable, and once learned its yours forever. Most of us just got imprinted on it very early, like baby ducks, and now everything else always feels faintly wrong.

Now, EMACS is from satan. It is the evil spawn of developer-hating bean counters. It will envelope you and your project in its MASSIVE WORLD OF INTRUSIVE FEATURES. Don't like your world being run by a hugely bloated pile of LISP? Too bad! What, you just want to edit a simple file? HAHAHA NO WAY! Press this! Now press that! Now run these nine macros! now switch screens 5 times! Now press a key combo that needs more fingers than a human actually has! Now stare in dismay as line after line of Klingonese macro lines go by! MWAHAHA! YOUR SOUL IS OURS!

uh..well. Actually I don't like EMACS, but hey to each his own.

Edited by danwinslow
  • Like 1

The only thing that VI offers is a small, clean, quick editing environment, that runs virtually on any platform that can compile it. There's no particluar features that set it apart in my opinion, and its flawed in several ways, the most notable being the lack of a column cut/paste feature. But it fast, the key combos are concise, and reliable, and once learned its yours forever. Most of us just got imprinted on it very early, like baby ducks, and now everything else always feels faintly wrong.

Quack, quack ;) Yeah I yearn for vi keyboard shortcuts in everything else.

Here's a thing. In classic vi you can't use the cursor keys to move around, you use h,j,k,l instead. When I started out as a Sysadmin using the cursor keys in certain console emulation modes could screw things up by sending bad escape codes to the session. My boss's answer was to physically remove the keycaps from the cursor keys on my keyboard so I physically couldn't use them while I was learning. As an upshot I *still* try to use the vi keys instead of the cursor keys in Windows apps every now and then and suffer momentary confusion when all I get is a string of garbage.

Now, EMACS is from satan. It is the evil spawn of developer-hating bean counters. It will envelope you and your project in its MASSIVE WORLD OF INTRUSIVE FEATURES. Don't like your world being run by a hugely bloated pile of LISP? Too bad! What, you just want to edit a simple file? HAHAHA NO WAY! Press this! Now press that! Now run these nine macros! now switch screens 5 times! Now press a key combo that needs more fingers than a human actually has! Now stare in dismay as line after line of Klingonese macro lines go by! MWAHAHA! YOUR SOUL IS OURS!

uh..well. Actually I don't like EMACS, but hey to each his own.

PMSL - I've never gotten on with emacs either, probably for the same reason as nano (see above).

BTW - if you want to try it VIM is available for a large number of platforms: http://www.vim.org/download.php However, don't expect to get it straight away. It's one of those things that feels hard to start with but once you start learning some of the features it's a very powerful environment.

Edited by spookt

I use gVIM for developing A8 (who needs Eclipse :) ) stuff on my Linux computers.

That is the closest that VIm will come to the A8 - for me. I wouldn't even bother editing text on the little Atari.

I started out with VI(m) late (6 years ago or so).So I was mostly faced with VIM and I use and rely on features only VIM offers.

But for the fun of it - try to port it. I will even fire it up once - jut for you ;)

PS: if you port the CA65 (+Linker) as well, I might use the vi port more often. ;)

Being that I'm a Unix / Linux Sysadmin by trade may have something to do with it ;)

With the exception of just ignoring windows completely, can we start a new thread about ideas to remove windows from the world? For example:

Active Directory -> 389 Directory Services

Exchange -> Zimbra

Windows XP -> Ylmf OS

to name a few...

Anyway, I've stopped work on everything Atari to see where flashjazzcat goes with his GUI <- best A8 project of all time!