IGNORED

Lock'n chase RC1.0

Another thing I was wondering is that I don't know how the arcade works but on the intellivision the middle item that pops up would always change as you got to the new level and I think it was on the right side it would show the current middle item and the before screen preparing you for the next round would show you the next item that you could get and how much it was worth. It was just something cool to see what the next level had for the middle extra point value.

I don't know if you were already planning to have that but just wanted to mention it in case you were not. Otherwise the game looks pretty darn cool.

AWESOME! I can't wait until this gets a cartridge release.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to owning that little gem myself! :D

This release candidate is missing a lot of sounds, however, when compared to the arcade version...

We'll try to improve sound soon. We have improved the graphics (RC2.0 is on the way, i hope with this new Gfx and new Sfx).

Edited by bfg.gamepassion

Congratulations to be one of the few homebrewers here who tried and succeed using the ColecoVision sound routines.

I'm pretty sure I've heard at least one of these sound effects somewhere, ... is it the death sound in my minigame Easter Bunny? cool!

I'm still working on copying the messages in my AtariAge mailbox before getting rid of them (to free up space), I will reply to your message when done.

Congratulations to be one of the few homebrewers here who tried and succeed using the ColecoVision sound routines.

I'm pretty sure I've heard at least one of these sound effects somewhere, ... is it the death sound in my minigame Easter Bunny? cool!

I'm still working on copying the messages in my AtariAge mailbox before getting rid of them (to free up space), I will reply to your message when done.

Death ? No, it's a composition of mine :) Maybe the sound when the player take the gold, but i must admit that all the sound (even the game) was made with the help of your tools and analyzing a lot of your source code. (Dacman for printing the score vertically, but i've finished by changing the routine for example, Dacman again for the multicolor font in Bomb'n blast ...). Thanks a lot for all your work !!

I was serious about the instrumental for the song "Big Poppa" by the Notorious B.I.G. I especially like the beginning.

Seems like it would be appropriate since in the game Lock N' Chase the player character is collecting money and looks like a pimp.

Daniel (newcoleco) worked his magic with Crazy Train for the WIP Side Trak.... any chance for a collaboration on music for Lock N' Chase.

I was serious about the instrumental for the song "Big Poppa" by the Notorious B.I.G. I especially like the beginning.

Seems like it would be appropriate since in the game Lock N' Chase the player character is collecting money and looks like a pimp.

Daniel (newcoleco) worked his magic with Crazy Train for the WIP Side Trak.... any chance for a collaboration on music for Lock N' Chase.

The tune is nice, but don't you think the rythm is a little slow for a game like this...?

Now my personal preference would be to stay true to the original arcade game as much as possible, but if a decision was made to include a new soundtrack to Lock'n Chase, this being a game of cops and robbers, I think I would prefer this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzn0ISaR9OQ

The tune is nice, but don't you think the rythm is a little slow for a game like this...?

Now my personal preference would be to stay true to the original arcade game as much as possible, but if a decision was made to include a new soundtrack to Lock'n Chase, this being a game of cops and robbers, I think I would prefer this one:

That's a catchy tune Luc. I don't consider myself a Rap music fan but I really love 2 Rap songs... Notorious B.IG.'s "Big Poppa" and Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise"

Analyze of possible conversion of Big Poppa music to ColecoVision.

The drum and bass part, something I do quite well, need NOISE and TONE#3 channels

The base melody, and I'm not talking about the gliding hi-pitched notes, should requier 2 tone channels, and that fills up all the sound channels.

The gliding hi-pitched notes could replace one of the other notes because more louder and then cover other notes that became not that important to hear.

So, as for the music itself I think it might work for the ColecoVision, I'm not sure if I can do it because it's really different than the music I'm used to do.

As for using this music for Lock'n Chase, it's not under my control. I've heard that I might help for the sounds, still in discussion at the moment. And if a music like this is selected to play as a background game music, there still the question if it's music only or with sound effects because at this point I may suggest to avoid using an annoying beeping sound each time the character is eating a dot and change a little bit the other sounds like "closing path", "bonus appearing", and there still the question if the music change when the player is getting the cash or if it's just another sound effect. So, at the end, it might work (because I'm not 100% sure at the moment) if it's the music selected for the game, but need various adaptations to do so.

... I forgot, I've done a little clean up in my mailbox, so you can leave me private messages again.

Edited by newcoleco

Analyze of possible conversion of Big Poppa music to ColecoVision.

The drum and bass part, something I do quite well, need NOISE and TONE#3 channels

The base melody, and I'm not talking about the gliding hi-pitched notes, should requier 2 tone channels, and that fills up all the sound channels.

The gliding hi-pitched notes could replace one of the other notes because more louder and then cover other notes that became not that important to hear.

So, as for the music itself I think it might work for the ColecoVision, I'm not sure if I can do it because it's really different than the music I'm used to do.

As for using this music for Lock'n Chase, it's not under my control. I've heard that I might help for the sounds, still in discussion at the moment. And if a music like this is selected to play as a background game music, there still the question if it's music only or with sound effects because at this point I may suggest to avoid using an annoying beeping sound each time the character is eating a dot and change a little bit the other sounds like "closing path", "bonus appearing", and there still the question if the music change when the player is getting the cash or if it's just another sound effect. So, at the end, it might work (because I'm not 100% sure at the moment) if it's the music selected for the game, but need various adaptations to do so.

... I forgot, I've done a little clean up in my mailbox, so you can leave me private messages again.

It sure would be awesome if you choose to try "Big Poppa" for the ColecoVision!

Of course, trying to adapt the music and soundfx from the arcade is a good idea, because it's what the gamers who played the arcade game back then do remember. But it's also good to take time and think of the possibility of using another music and other soundfx... for example, I love what I've done for CV SideTrak.

And, I agree with Pixelboy that because it's a game where you are in a maze running like crazy for your life, a music that will make your heartbeat faster is more appropriate... and that implies using a faster tempo with or without some quicker notes here and there for variation purpose. The arcade background music is fast and then faster, which is good, but really short and no variation, which makes the attention on the sound effects to do the variations like in PACMAN for example. As for the music Cops and Rubbers, it's a catchy tune but do have a lot of things in it that will have to be adapted or ignored to make it a background music for the game... like cut the singing part in order to free a sound channel for sound effets, which is something I've done in SideTrak... unfortunately, the singing part in Cops and Robbers is pretty much the part you identify the most, so it might not work well.

Arcade music or not, arcade soundfx or not, it's pretty much a guess about what the players may enjoy the most. Because it's impossible to satisfy everyone, some games even come with an option to let the players decide what they want to hear, like the music selection in Tetris and Outrun (I prefer SplashWave music). And a safe bet is the nostalgia effect and so using the arcade music and soundfx is more probably the best choice.

I still didn't have a reply telling me if I'm in this project... and so, I've nothing composed yet.

Edited by newcoleco

Quick Update

I've just got a reply and I'm happy to say that I'm officially in the project to do the sound part, and it was decided to use sounds and music like the arcade game.

For fun, I was composing the following music (unfinished), energic and catchy that should have been fine for the game. Oh well, using the arcade sounds is fine too.

lock\'n chase music proposal (wip).mp3

Edited by newcoleco

The beginning of your music make me think to Spy Hunter soundtrack.

#edit: in fact may be not spy hunter but another game i played , i'm searching for the name!

Your music is very nice but i think it is too good for the game. I mean the game is very good. But with your music they will be an kind of "offset" between the graphic quality and the sound track. Like if both thing was done at different point time . Graphics in 82 , sound in 92 ... hard to explain my feeling. sorry.

Edited by youki