IGNORED

Adventure II for Atari 8-Bit Computers?

Arjak

Hows it going Cafeman? I keep coming back here every week to see if there is an update.

Lookit you, all duded up in your new Avatar pic! :D

I won't abandon it, I worked on the game last night a bit more. "how's it going" posts remind me/motivate me about the project.

Hows it going?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My XEGS is dying. It's lonely. It needs Adventure II to revive it ...

My goals for the project:

1. Get it working on A8 as 64K bank-switch software. (done)

2. Change the hiding locations of 3 secret dots for every game variation (done)

3. a few minor maze & graphics tweaks including new font on title/win screens (done)

4. Improve the engine performance which took a hit due to the porting process (collision issues on busy screens / visual DLI color change errors on some screens - I've been working on this for a few weeks but haven't had a lot of time to devote to it).

5. New rankings along with stats on the win screen (75% coded).

6. (secret addition #1) - I don't want to reveal it, but it involves a new dragon showing up sometimes. (don't know if I'll do this now that I've taken too much time already)

7. (secret addition #2) - basically changing what & where the 'secret screen' is after you find all 3 dots. (not started, not sure if I'll do it now).

8. New sounds & Music - (40% done. It's all set up with 1 or 2 new sounds. I just need to type in the data and fine-tune it. I'll do this last).

Keep checking in. Once I figure out the engine performance, the rest will be more 'fun work'.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It took a while, but finally I found a certain bug and was able to stop it from occurring, and in doing so I got rid of some patch-code that was causing performance issues on the A8 port. Now I'm back to actually working on buttoning up the game again, the fun stuff! Here's an update on my goals and what comes next, bold text is new:

My goals for the project:

1. Get it working on A8 as 64K (XE-format) bank-switch software. (done)

2. Change the hiding locations of 3 secret dots for every game variation. Also change hiding locations (more randomness) for items. (done)

3. a few minor maze & graphics tweaks including new font on title/win screens (done)

4. Improve the engine performance which took a hit due to the porting process (collision issues on busy screens / visual DLI color change errors on some screens ) Done as of 4/28/2012. There still might be the occassional DLI 'flash' but its much better and I consider it done, moving on...

5. Work with Tep392 to program dual-bankswitch schemes - XE cart scheme AND the more common Ram-cart scheme. Once this is accomplished, I'll post some demo's for any interested parties to play with, this will also help with finding any bugs.

6. New rankings along with stats on the win screen (75% coded).

7. New sounds & music - The 'engine' is already in, now I need to transcribe my musical ideas (from half a year ago) into code.

8. Just a few more additions. What I still intend to put in: changes to the 'secret screen'; changes to what happens when you win the game; and I want to put in 1 new 'secret' dragon which players will need to 'trigger' its appearance. (and ohh... she's mean!)

9. After than, some thorough testing sessions on real hardware to make sure it all works and no new bugs! Then I consider it done.

• Like 1

How random will the objects be?

I'm starting to suspect that accousticguitar is concerned about the amount of randomness. :P

Okay, here's your answer, don't tell anyone!

LDA SKRES
AND #%00001111
STA ItemLocation

Seriously, :) :D :P some restraint must still exist - I don't want to force the player to trek from one distant corner of the game world and back again. I plan on continuing to tweak this as I play-test it. There are all levels of players, so I have decided to go for a title-screen toggle switch between normal and 'very random' modes.

Normal random games: (just pick a level and press START) - if you're familiar with the 5200 version, you'll immediately spot differences and have to go huntin' round.

"Very random" games: (a certain key press will toggle this on-off. You'll see an indicator on the title screen so you know for sure). In this mode, all items will be distributed around more widely. Some of these games could be very tough to beat, especially playing on harder variations.

EDIT - you know what, my previous reply was too much detail. Edited down.

Edited by Cafeman

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I need some encouragement, lads. When May slipped by and I wasn't done, I got kind of sick of the whole homebrewing thing again. I have free time right now but can't find the motivation to get back into it. Any suggestions? It's pretty close to finish too, not too much more to add. Argh!

Cafeman,

How about some bribery.

Maybe we all could pitch in and send you a Starbucks card for a little caffeine boost to keep you going. :)

And don't be surpised if you find a little 5200 Pac-man goodness show up in the mail. ;)

Edit: If anyone wants to contribute to a Starbucks gift to Cafeman, to show our appreciations, please paypal a few bucks as a "gift" to pwtinty(removethisfirst)@att.net. I'll buy the card and send it out to Ron. I'm starting with $5.

Well that is incredibly awesome and a very unexpected and nice thing. I do appreciate it, but it makes me feel like a moocher to be honest so please don't go out of your way. The thought really counts though ... thanks. Just this one reply has already changed my sullen lethargic mood and remember my enjoyment of the AA community and making games ... hope it lasts long enough once I get home. I know I have something left to give to the Adventure lovin' and 5200 lovin' communities. :)

Makes me feel like a moocher to be honest so please don't go out of your way.

Please don't. I and many others around here greatly appreciate the effort you put into keeping these old systems alive. It's my pleasure buy you a cup of joe.

As a new A8'er... I'm excited the read about the idea of Adventure 2 coming to the 8bit Atari Computers!

If/when complete, do you plan on a cart and manual release or a boxed version? You'll be getting some money from me when it's ready! :)

Oh, and as soon as I get some PayPal funds, you can bet there will be a few coffees heading your way!

As a new A8'er... I'm excited the read about the idea of Adventure 2 coming to the 8bit Atari Computers!

If/when complete, do you plan on a cart and manual release or a boxed version? You'll be getting some money from me when it's ready! :)

If it's released with a manual and box, I'm down for 2 of them! I bought one of the original limited edition numbered 5200 carts back in the day.

Cafeman, what style cartridge case are you planning to use? I always liked the XE cart cases with the alternating ridges and grooves along the sides, with an Atari logo molded into the case on the back.

Thanks for making an enhanced version of one of my favorite homebrew Atari games for my favorite 8-bit computer!

I'm only programming the game. I wasn't about to make the carts - AtariAge (Al) was going to do that. I thought he was going to use standard brown A8 carts, but we have not discussed it for a long time. I thought that we discussed modifiying the 5200 manual and printing a new A8 version, but again -that was a long time ago. Don't expect a box. I'm not sure if the manual will be as lengthy as the 5200 release or not, depends on the cost of materials. I know Al said not too long ago that he has the 64K XE-style PCB boards all ready.

I did start working on AdvII XE again last weekend. (!) Didn't accomplish too much, merely got my bearings again and remembered where I was, and what else I wanted to do. There are no bugs to fix that I'm aware of, just want to button-up the new sounds & music, add dual bank-switch capability (XE-style, and standard XL-style so ram cart users can try demos of it), and then I think I need to tweak 2 or 3 new additions, then test it ensuring I didn't break anything. It's a big game to test, with all the variations and different rules. Once the bank switching is modified, I'll be asking for some testing help.

Gotta get done Gotta get done Gotta get done Gotta get done .... :)

• Like 2

Like the Olympic athletes Cafeman you're dedication and hard work will pay off with the XE Gold Medal of thanks :)

I bought Adventure II for the 5200 and have never played it - just waiting for the XE version. I only bought the 5200 version just in case the XE one never came out (this has happened on some other systems where I missed out :) ) - so, Im really patient and hoping you can get the mojo to get past the finish line!