IGNORED

Adventure II for Atari 8-Bit Computers?

Arjak

You're selling a digital file instead of a real cart? Or did I misunderstand that?

No, no. I was only talking about testing the game before we sell it as a cart. Some have actually assembled PCB carts with an Eprom mount for testing on the real hardware. I did this with Koffi years back and I'd burn a new Eprom every new version. I'm not doing that - I'll just release a RAM-cart compatible demo for people to test using the Atarimax style of RAM carts.

Adventure II XE is going to be sold at AtariAge.com as a package - cartridge, manual, box, and some other goodies. Similar (but not 100% the same package) to the 2007 5200 version.

• Like 1

No, no. I was only talking about testing the game before we sell it as a cart. Some have actually assembled PCB carts with an Eprom mount for testing on the real hardware. I did this with Koffi years back and I'd burn a new Eprom every new version. I'm not doing that - I'll just release a RAM-cart compatible demo for people to test using the Atarimax style of RAM carts.

Ok from that I believe you're saying that testing will not be on a final cart (as you plan to do), that testing will be a file for an Atarimax cart. I would think that there might be some risk if it works as a file on Atarimax cart and then have an issue on an EPROM and new PCB's. Maybe that isn't an issue? I have an Atarimax cart, and don't forget the Super Inexpensive Cart (SIC).

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are you developing the game in/on? What tools, languages, compilers, environment, etc.

There should not be a problem if it works on a good emulator AND works on real hardware using an Atarimax cart. The PCB boards we are using have been used in the past by Bryan (Castle Crisis) and others.

I prefer the simplicity of consoles like 5200. Now that I've expanded into the Atari computer realm, all of the new things to consider can be overwhelming! There's APE, sIO2PC, Atarimax, bank switching schemes, XL vs XE vs XEGS for 400/800, 1mbit workbooks and 8mbit workbooks ,and now I hear about SIC (never heard of that).

To those who use Atarimax, if i just post a demo in BIN format - Adv2_Demo1.bin - are you going to be able to run it on either 1mbit or 8bit Atarimax flash carts, or will I need to produce a 1mbit / 8mbit workbook version of it? I am just about to order from Atarimax - I was thinking about getting the USB programmer kit and an 8mbit flash cart.

"Tools" I use - well, at this point (all the art has long been done) I just use Notepad for the source code, and TASM to compile the banks - Tep392 set it up for me as a dos .BAT file so I just run that to compile. Nothing fancy. I hard-code the sounds as hexadecimal numbers into my simple sound engine in-code. (I use copy/paste a lot to speed things up). So far I've found Atari800win to be a great emulator for development.

There should not be a problem if it works on a good emulator AND works on real hardware using an Atarimax cart. The PCB boards we are using have been used in the past by Bryan (Castle Crisis) and others.

I prefer the simplicity of consoles like 5200. Now that I've expanded into the Atari computer realm, all of the new things to consider can be overwhelming! There's APE, sIO2PC, Atarimax, bank switching schemes, XL vs XE vs XEGS for 400/800, 1mbit workbooks and 8mbit workbooks ,and now I hear about SIC (never heard of that).

To those who use Atarimax, if i just post a demo in BIN format - Adv2_Demo1.bin - are you going to be able to run it on either 1mbit or 8bit Atarimax flash carts, or will I need to produce a 1mbit / 8mbit workbook version of it? I am just about to order from Atarimax - I was thinking about getting the USB programmer kit and an 8mbit flash cart.

"Tools" I use - well, at this point (all the art has long been done) I just use Notepad for the source code, and TASM to compile the banks - Tep392 set it up for me as a dos .BAT file so I just run that to compile. Nothing fancy. I hard-code the sounds as hexadecimal numbers into my simple sound engine in-code. (I use copy/paste a lot to speed things up). So far I've found Atari800win to be a great emulator for development.

I've updated the batch file to create an 8mbit binary. It's waiting for you in a PM. :)

Cant wait . I bought a 800xl just for when this game comes out . I never had any interest in the 8 bit systems and have no clue about them or any games . Maybe I should get those multi carts but dont know any of the good games to get or how the carts work . Oh, and I ended up finding a really nice xegs !

Edited by AtariBrian

Cant wait . I bought a 800xl just for when this game comes out . I never had any interest in the 8 bit systems and have no clue about them or any games . Maybe I should get those multi carts but dont know any of the good games to get or how the carts work . Oh, and I ended up finding a really nice xegs !

This is a wonderful system, even if only used as a game machine.

Adventure II XE is going to be one of the greats! The only thing I could POSSIBLY conceive as being nearly as awesome would be a sequel to the original Star Raiders. I do NOT mean that piece of crap released as "Star Raiders II" that was really a totally different game called "The Last Starfighter" that was then name-changed. I mean a REAL follow-up. My, that would be cool!