IGNORED

High Score Club 9.07 - Frostbite

Ze_ro

Important Note - This weeks contest is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Far beyond the Northwest Territory, icebergs crack and the wind chill factor is minus 40⁰. This is the land of Eskimos and igloos, of polar bears and frozen toes. This is the home of Frostbite Bailey.

Part survivor, part architect, part nuts. He eats raw fish for sustenance but really dines on danger. He's the guy with ice water running through his veins. A bona fide working class hero.

You see, Frostbite builds igloos for a living. Iceblock to iceblock, he jumps high and low, while danger follows every leap. Killer clams, Alaskan King Crab, snow geese and big bad bears.

Yet Frostbite will not be deterred. From the frigid morn through the dead of night, heeding only the call of the wild, he works on and on.

Maybe it's the spirit of Peary. Or, maybe his brain's gone numb. In any case, he's still there and he'd like you to join him. Frostbite Bailey - Building igloos and legends.

frostbite-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Frostbite
  • Released By: Activision, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - Regular, 1 Player

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday April 20th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Arctic Architect - Score 120,000 points or more and you get 2 bonus points.
  • Arctic Adventures - Write a short story chronicling one of of Frostbite Bailey's many adventures, and you get 4 bonus points (Must be at least three paragraphs long)
    • classicgamer_27330 [+4]
    • LarcenTyler [+4]
    • Vocelli [+4]
    • Amstari [+4]
    • Miss 2600 [+4]
    • JacobZu7zu7 [+4]
    • Scrabbler15 [+4]
    • roadrunner [+4]
    • Cynicaster [+4]
    • Gorfy [+4]
    • HatefulGravey [+4]
    • toymailman [+4]
    • DT Kofoed [+4]
    • cparsley [+4]
    • Curious Sofa [+4]
    • oyamafamily [+4]

Current High Scores
  1. 526,300 (oyamafamily) [+11][+2]
  2. 442,200 (Cynicaster) [+10][+2]
  3. 314,840 (JacobZu7zu7) [+9][+2]
  4. 283,570 (centiqueen81) [+8][+2]
  5. 274,830 (Frostbite76) [+7][+2]
  6. 250,950 (toymailman) [+6][+2]
  7. 222,610 (Vocelli) [+5][+2]
  8. 186,390 (DT Kofoed) [+4][+2]
  9. 159,840 (Deteacher) [+3][+2]
  10. 143,100 (Cortat G) [+2][+2]
  11. 141,440 (cparsley) [+1][+2]
  12. 136,950 (pis) [+1][+2]
  13. 133,900 (classicgamer_27330) [+1][+2]
  14. 132,380 (Stan) [+1][+2]
  15. 121,100 (SpiceWare) [+1][+2]
  16. 114,070 (Gorfy) [+1]
  17. 94,690 (pokeplayer984) [+1]
  18. 76,120 (roadrunner) [+1]
  19. 59,790 (Mangia-Boy) [+1]
  20. 48,470 (Curious Sofa) [+1]
  21. 39,460 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  22. 30,920 (Scrabbler15) [+1]
  23. 18,890 (bennybingo) [+1]
  24. 11,990 (Krytol) [+1]
  25. 9130 (Amstari) [+1]
  26. 7460 (HatefulGravey) [+1]
  27. 6750 (Miss 2600) [+1]

Best Tips
  • oyamafamily [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 1,832,730 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 334,880 (Keith C Post)
  3. 316,470 (Robert Macauley)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. JacobZu7zu7 [79]
  2. oyamafamily [77]
  3. toymailman [73]
  4. Vocelli [67]
  5. Frostbite76 [60]
  6. Gorfy [48]up.gif
  7. Deteacher [42]down.gif
  8. SpiceWare [39]up.gif
  9. classicgamer_27330 [32]up.gif
  10. pis [30]down.gif
  11. Scrabbler15 [25]up.gif
  12. Amstari [25]up.gif
  13. Miss 2600 [22]down.gif
  14. keilbaca [22]down.gif
  15. SeaGtGruff [20]down.gif
  16. Curious Sofa [11]up.gif
  17. pokeplayer984 [11]new.gif
  18. roadrunner [10]down.gif
  19. HatefulGravey [10]down.gif
  20. Krytol [6]up.gif
  21. zylon [5]down.gif
  22. bennybingo [4]down.gif
  23. LarcenTyler [3]down.gif
  24. atariUCLA24 [3]down.gif
  25. Mister VCS [2]down.gif
  26. SpaceDice2010 [2]down.gif
  27. littleman jack [2]down.gif
  28. Wickeycolumbus [1]down.gif
  29. rmaerz [1]down.gif
  30. Cream147 [1]down.gif
  31. MIKE5200 [1]down.gif
  32. theKLT [1]down.gif
  33. DickNixonArisen [1]down.gif
  34. leematari [1]down.gif
  35. Cortat G [1]

Scoring Points in Frostbite
  • Points per Iceblock - 10 x level number
  • Entering Igloo - 160 x level number
  • After level eight, the scoring remains constant at 90 and 1440 respectively.
  • Catch a fish - 200 points
  • Each degree remaining on entering igloo - 10 x degrees x level number

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

• Learn to use the red button sparingly. The best time to use it is to 'fake out' the bear by drawing him to the middle of the screen and quickly changing direction.
  • Don't be greedy with the fish. Get them if they come by. However, going out of your way often uses too much time.
  • Another thing: You can move Frostbite Bailey in mid-air and, at the higher levels, you can really hook him around. Check out just how far he'll go.
  • Notice that hazards only get you when both feet are planted. Therefore, it's possible to jump 'around' hazards since they can't hurt you in mid-air.
  • Now here's a secret tip I've decided to share: If you jump up onto the extreme left of the shore, the bear can't get you. It's Frostbite's emergency hide-out.

We played this game twice before in the High Score Club, you might want to check out this thread, and this thread for more information.

Frostbite76

• Stay towards the middle of the screen as much as possible. Try to stay about 1 1/2-2 ice blocks away from the edges
  • When things start to move fast (around 50,000) start to change ice directions often. Do this to keep yourself away from the edge of the screen. You don't have to worry about time when things get fast.
  • Jump about 2 or more ice blocks behind the Crabs.

oyamafamily

• Each cycle is composed by 8 levels: 4 levels on DAY screen, and 4 on NIGHT screen. You complete the cycle each time you build and enter the fourth igloo on NIGHT screen.
  • On level 2 / Cycle 1, DON'T enter the igloo quickly, because many fishes appear on the screen. Eat them as many as possible, sacrifice yourself jumping to Arctic Sea, or leaving the temperature drop to 0 degrees. That way, you can maximize the temperature for that level and score more bonus points. Speaking about fishes: TRY to eat them as many as possible on slower levels; and try to use FIRE button when the fishes appear on the playfield.
  • If you have 9 Frostbites in reserve, sacrifice yourself (i.e., jump to Arctic Sea, touch Alaskan King Crab, Geese, Killer Clam or Polar Grizzly, or let the temperature drop to ZERO) before entering the igloo to maximize the time for that board and thereby get more bonus points based on timer. Try NOT to lose 2 or more lives on the current board, and be careful with hazardous enemies.
  • On level 9 and onwards, you essentialy get an Extra Frostbite every level, because you score more than 5000 points per board, including bonus via entering the igloo and time remaining.
  • Try to jump behind the enemies as they pass, because they CAN'T change direction.
  • In mid-air, you can change your direction many times during each jumping.
  • Practice jumping over hazardous enemies and landing between them. For each jumping, you can use horizontal and vertical directions at the same time.
  • The contact with Alaskan King Crabs, Geese, Fishes, and Killer Clams occurs when Frostbite is on the ice blocks. On the shore, the contact with Polar Grizzly DOESN'T occur if you jump onto the left side of the screen; so, use this for emergencies.
  • Try to position Frostbite Bailey at the center of the screen while you jump on the ice blocks. This action minimizes the risk of touching the enemies or falling in the Arctic Sea.

--Zero

Ok, so far this game in making me a crazy person. When ever you touch a bird or crab or clam you are dead! There is no jumping to something else before they push you off the place you are on. I wish I had the cart, I think the game would be much easier to play with a real Atari stick.

7460 is all I can manage right now. :(

The All-Time 2600 HSC record on Frostbite is 357,020 by StanJr (Default Settings).

My goal is to beat this 2600 HSC Record, and reach 400,000-point mark.

SPECIAL NOTE (according to Twin Galaxies): This game DOESN'T stop, and DOES ROLLOVER at 1 Million Points.

Edited by oyamafamily

Warning this story is rated PG-13 - R

Once upon a time, the guy from Frostbite woke up from a good nights sleep. He woke up his wife and consummated their marriage because they got too ****ing tired to do it right after their wedding. After about 5 minutes, the guy just dozed off. Thus the wife went and cooked the couple's very first breakfast. She cooked fried eggs, bacon, and sausage. She did this because her husband was not only fast, but also a carnivore. After breakfast, he had relations again with Dian. Then he left for his job at a university professing music.

On the way to his job, the hero cussed out some drivers and flipped the bird to others because it took an hour to make a mile trip. At the college he was studying his lesson that he was teaching. He was teaching N6 chords. (for your own info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapolitan_sixth) After teaching a class on N6 chords, he saw a hot looking professor. He then remembered that he was married and didn't want to be like an ass like Clinton (besides he cheated with ugly women) Surprisingly, his wife showed up at the college to have lunch. Then they made love again.

Over the next couple of weeks, nothing really exciting happened. He just threw a jerk out of class for cheating on his girlfriend. Before you get your minds in the gutter, he was copying her test on the N6. Anyways back to the hero. He decided to play some games with the Mrs. The Mrs. suggested ET for Atari 2600. The husband said that game is ****ing terrible. He got up and stormed out of the house never to see his wife again.

The hero then drove to Alaska and began building huts while surviving frigid conditions. Seeing how mundane this was, he decided to go back to the wife. They made up and made my last sentence of the 3rd paragraph a complete lie. They played ET, but made it into a drinking game. They had a drink every time they fell in a hole. They got so drunk and had the best time ****ing around causing the falling into holes. They ****ed one last time before both of them died of alcohol poisoning

• Like 3

Ok, so far this game in making me a crazy person. When ever you touch a bird or crab or clam you are dead! There is no jumping to something else before they push you off the place you are on. I wish I had the cart, I think the game would be much easier to play with a real Atari stick.

7460 is all I can manage right now. :(

Playing this on a keyboard is pretty much impossible, if that's what you're using. Just buy a copy on ebay for $3.00 or $4.00.

Edited by Frostbite76

Also, fast tip for fast points. The green fish aren't enemies. I should have read the manual. One was coming and I was like NOOOOOOOO until I saw it gave me sick points. I always aim for them as time permits.

THE LEGEND OF FROSTBITE BAILEY

Way up past the Northwesst, in the coldest part of the Arctic, there lived a group of igloo architects who specialized in building igloos for those who were unfortunate enough to not have them. They had discovered a speedy process of building igloos by using floating ice blocks to gather their supplies and build

them up faster than they had been able to before. Unfortunately, while it was a useful process and saved a lot of time, there were a few hitches, as naturally would happen when you discover a great plan that seems easy enough. For, you see, they not only lived in a rather dangerous part of the Arctic, but it was also more cold than most areas.

In the river were some of the most dangerous types of aquatic life ever. The Alaskan King Crabs were known for floating at the surface, ready to use their pincers to grab onto anything (or anyone) that happened to be unlucky enough to be standing on one of them while they were passing by. Once they had you in their pincers, there was no escape. You would be dragged to an unfortunate (and cold!) fate. In addition, there were Killer Clams that floated by, and their name was no coincidence. They were clever enough to grow sharp teeth and be able to latch onto their food. Once they were latched on, they were able to drag their prey into the waters below. To top that off, there were snow geese which, while not exactly hostile, weren't exactly very bright either. You see, the cold weather really did a number on their brains, and all they could think about was flying to someplace warmer, and if someone got in their way, they wouldn't stop or turn around. They'd just keep flying nonstop, meaning anything that got in their way would be pushed to a watery grave.

And if that wasn't enough, there also lived polar bears as well. Naturally, polar bears were large and also very hungry. They didn't care what they ate as long as it was edible and helped them remain fat enough to stay warm. And unfortunately, they were carnivorous as well, meaning that Eskimoes were part of their diet! If anyone were unfortunate enough to get within sniffing range of one, they'd need the speed of a track star to be able to escape one. For those polar bears were fast enough as it were, but when they smelled prey, they'd take off running like it was nobody's business!

The architecture program was a risky one with all those dangers, but to top that off, they had to operate when the temperature started to get low. Meaning they had to work fast before the temperature dropped too low, otherwise they'd be turned into human popsicles!

While a lot of the workers were somewhat reluctant to do this, there was one person who was always brave enough to work night and day. His named was Frederick 'Frostbite' Bailey, and he'd seen just about everything the arctic had to offer. He was fearless and determined to build igloos day and night, no matter how risky it was. He was so tough that he'd catch raw fish and warm them with his hands before eating them as sushi to maintain sustenence! The crabs, the clams, the polar bears, none of them bothered Frostbite Bailey. In fact, he was so tough that he could work untill the temperature actually hit zero degrees. Thus, he became one of the top workers in the Arctic Architects, and to this day, he still works building igloos and legends!

Man, Jacob, every time I come in here you're blasting everyone away. For my first try I got:

Just doin' my job. kiddin... :D

but early going it's best to use up and down jump patterns, but later as your score increases, you can jump at sharp angles.

With practice... hitting angles when you jump is the name of the game!