IGNORED

Improving the Lynx screen

pixeljunkie

I know there have been topics about this before and what we've learned is that it's just not possible to swap the Lynx LCD with another. There's been some pretty cool developments in the Gameboy/chiptune scene the last couple of years that got me thinking...

nonelectronics has some great LED backlights as well as newer polarized film. I'm wondering how these would work in a Lynx as far as improving the image quality and/or battery life. Also curious if something like bi-verting would work on a Lynx as it does with a GB to dramatically increase contrast. I realize the Lynx is color and not B&W, but I would imagine you could invert the signal in the same way ??? I'm not terribly versed in all of this, just thinking out loud.

bi-vert link

Are there any hardcore Lynx owners out there with the knowledge/expertise to start messing around with some of this?

I know little of it myself, except that it seems all efforts to display the Lynx on something other than it's own screen requires a huge break out box. Just wild.

I do have a schematic of the Lynx somewhere, but I think it is in Japanese.

I know little of it myself, except that it seems all efforts to display the Lynx on something other than it's own screen requires a huge break out box. Just wild.I do have a schematic of the Lynx somewhere, but I think it is in Japanese.

That's just it. This doesn't require swapping the LCD. It's just a matter of swapping the backlight with a better one. Keep the LCD and maybe bi-vert it. ???

I've always wondered about this. Is it simply that the Lynx screen and its associated hardware are just too specific to swap in a newer LCD?

Yes, from what I understand. Unlike something like the Nomad.

I know little of it myself, except that it seems all efforts to display the Lynx on something other than it's own screen requires a huge break out box. Just wild.I do have a schematic of the Lynx somewhere, but I think it is in Japanese.

That's just it. This doesn't require swapping the LCD. It's just a matter of swapping the backlight with a better one. Keep the LCD and maybe bi-vert it. ???

This inverter stuff would not help the Lynx in any way.

In my opinion the LCD contrast is lost because the backlight is just too bright. I have now added a filter kit between the backlight and the LCD. It makes the black much darker while keeping the white at about the same.

There is a set of 4 sheets of filter in old laptop LCD's from HP. I had a broken laptop and saved the filter sheets for the Lynx.

Search the forum for building a better lcd to see some screenshots.

Another big improvement is taking away the plastic screen in front of the LCD.

--

Karri

I've been considering replacing the backlight with an lcd from a broken cellphone I have lying around. Just for lighting purposes, I understand the TFT, while not getting juice, is nigh transparent. So, the backlight of the cell should be able to illuminate Lynx's LCD brighly, and importantly, evenly. A proof of concept it would be, as the celphone LCD is slightly smaller than Lynx's screen. Also, not sure how energy efficient it would be, even compared to the fluorescent tube originally in Lynx.