IGNORED

Pac-Man Arcade enhancement

Nukey Shay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Nice upgrades. I still think the dot eating sound is too harsh, however.

I agree, but I (and apparently Nukey, and GCC long before either of us) was never able to come up with anything better using the VCS' dozen or so "voices" (really distortion patterns). Can you point out a sound in an existing VCS game that's closer to the arcade Pac-Man dot eating noise?

I agree, but I (and apparently Nukey, and GCC long before either of us) was never able to come up with anything better using the VCS' dozen or so "voices" (really distortion patterns). Can you point out a sound in an existing VCS game that's closer to the arcade Pac-Man dot eating noise?

I wondered if some of the TIA sounds from the 7800 PMC could be lifted and used in PMAe?

Nice thought. I've wondered the same thing about Mario Bros and Donkey Kong.

I asked Bob about this (putting the 7800 Pac-Man Collection sounds into this hack) a while back, but he had other priorities (like Frenzy). :)

A cool hack would be to change the ghosts to "BEES" from Galaga! Instead of dots, stars, and the Galaxian ship for power dots!

You'd be making some sacrifices (I think you'd need more frames of animation for the bugs to look right, and you'd be stuck with a single color) but the graphics hack itself should be pretty easy... fire up one of the Hack-o-matics and go for it!

I asked Bob about this (putting the 7800 Pac-Man Collection sounds into this hack) a while back, but he had other priorities (like Frenzy). :)

Oh! I didn't know that PMP needed to change the sounds himself. I had assumed that the sounds could be found in the released source code and swapped by someone else. There's no need to hold up the train of awesome heading to the 7800. :)

• 7 years later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is broadcasting a tribute stream to the legacy of Nukey Shay / Kurt Howe and playing Pac-Man Arcade Enhanced and more of his amazing hacks on tomorrow's (Tue Sep 28, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day. I hope you'll be able to join us in remembering Kurt and his incredible contributions to the homebrew community!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I miss him. Horrified to hear the news, and that it took a year and a half to confirm. I suppose that's the way it'll be with most of us, those who never see other AtariAge members in real life.

Kurt was a hell of a guy, and I miss not only his presence, contributions and bottomless generosity here, but our (rare) private conversations that touched upon other subjects than racing the beam. The world sucks a little more without him.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2