IGNORED

Boxxle glitch? HELP!

Hey guys, I just don't know where to turn and my searches on google are fruitless!

I've had this hankering to play some Gameboy Boxxle...so I get it on ebay, and have been slowly working my way through it. I really enjoy this game!

So...I hit level 6-06. For those of you know this game, you have to push boxes onto dots. But in the is level, there are 25 dots but only 24 boxes! So I figured maybe they placed an extra dot somewhere. I have no problem figuring out the level but unfortunately, there's just no extra box hidden in the level to cover that dot! So while I can get a code to get my to level seven, it seems pretty lame that there's no way to finish this level because of such an obvious glitch.

There's a lot of reviews and such online, and one of the FAQs shows that where that extra box is supposed to be, but that box is missing on the Gameboy version (mine, at least).

Could anyone out there who knows about this game back me up?...or is this just a lousy bug that will require a cheat code to get past?...BLAH! I wanted to destroy this game, and now I gotta cheat to make it through.

Any help? Thanks!

No Boxxle fans?...lol, well, I just decided to get a code to get past this level as it is an obvious glitch. When you put in a code, you look back and see the completed puzzles, and for this level you see that there's an extra box in the solution that isn't there when you're actually playing the level!

Just in case anybody gives this awesome Gameboy puzzler a shot...it's really a fun lil game.

How weird! I finished this game years ago all by myself, so I know the version I had back then didn't have such a glitch. Perhaps a simple wrong bit in the ROM caused this... Did you download a ROM of Boxxle on the internet and try to get to that level under emulation?

Edited by Pixelboy

LOLZ...I don't even know where I found that metal pic, but why didntcha mention it like six years ago?...lol, I'm playing this on my SP, but the original cart. I found one nice n cheap on ebay, in GREAT shape. I'm not sure why or how this could happen, because I was totally intent on destroying this old challenge from way back completely legit, no online help at all. But when I spent about an hour going, wtf?...I caved. I'm not sure, but I'm going to try this FAQ code for that level and see if it loads properly...annnnd, same code, same glitch. I've actually 'finished' as much as I could on that level, got all the boxes in place but there's one extra spot. I might just get bored someday and program the entire level according to the setup of the FAQ.

It's really a fun lil game that challenges you to the point of frustration, then you play it again the next day and for some reason you always find a solution.

If anybody out there has this on their GB, the original cart, see if I'm crazy...probably! Who knows, maybe it's because I'm playing it on the SP and there's some kind of hardware incompatibility. The screen does look a lil crappy, but that seems to be the case whenever I play original Gameboy titles, and even some for the Gameboy Color carts.

Who knows...I'm curious though for any ideas.

I'm using a grey sp also.

Original cart from gamestop 3 dollars.

As for crappy press the L and R shoulder buttons to stretch the screen and make it full screen.

As for the answer here you go. All the answers.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/585643-boxxle/faqs/52416

And you can also play it online: http://gbemul.com/game/236/boxxle/

:)

EDIT: Just got to level 06-06. I'm seing 25 boxes and 25 dots. Does it look like this on your end?

post-7743-0-74413300-1303381384_thumb.png

Edited by Pixelboy

• 1 month later...

Yep, that's what the screen 'should' look like. When you enter the code for that level on my copy, it's missing the box in the middle...well, a bit higher than middle. I know how to beat it, but I was quite surprised with the glitch. Now I gotta track down a 'working' copy, lol!...if only for posterity. Might snag the sequel too...I love me some boxxle!

Mine has all the boxes, I just checked. Try this code and see if that helps. "KBBK" without the "" of course. If I type that code in level 6-10 has 7 boxes on the bottom row already in place. And 6-6 is all there as well. No missing boxes or dots. Took the code from here.

http://www.gamewinners.com/game_boy/Boxxle.htm

And also tell us what code you were using? The code may be the glitch not the game.

Edited by 0078265317

Mine has all the boxes, I just checked. Try this code and see if that helps. "KBBK" without the "" of course. If I type that code in level 6-10 has 7 boxes on the bottom row already in place. And 6-6 is all there as well. No missing boxes or dots. Took the code from here.

http://www.gamewinners.com/game_boy/Boxxle.htm

And also tell us what code you were using? The code may be the glitch not the game.

I tried your code but it takes me to level 6-1, and I can't pick any other levels...odd. I'm not sure my code, I've gotta track down the piece o' paper I wrote it down on but I can tell you it's the same code that you'll find on the boxxle FAQ that's out there. I'm currently stuck somewhere in level 8, lol...tricky lil game, but I like it a lot as you can probably tell!

• 10 years later...

I just ran into this same glitch when playing through Boxxle on a genuine cart myself. This is the only place on the internet that I can find anyone mentioning this. The situation I am running into is the exact same as described by the OP - a single box (the same one even - its the center box horizontally, on the top portion of the screen, with empty spaces on three sides and a wall to the north of it) is missing from 06-06 which makes it impossible to complete. What a weird mystery. Just thought I'd chime in in case someone else is playing Boxxle another 10 years from now and also feels like they are going crazy when they encounter this same glitch!

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

I'm seeing 25 crates in the video below. (Skip ahead to 1:53:09 to see level 06-06)

Right! There should be 25 crates, but on my cart (and I from the sound of it on OP's), there is only 24 at the start of the level, making it impossible to complete.

I also posted about this (with a bit more detail) here on r/Gameboy and here on GBATemp in case anyone was able to figure out what is going on.

Edited by tylorlilley
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Check to see if yours is the fixed version! The password for 6-6 is K[spade]BJ.

Mine is the fixed version and I see this:

6-6fixed.png.9cc3cb7d19a81c1ff0d32dbb688086e1.png

If you look at the picture in post #18 above, you'll see there's a missing crate at the top of the long vertical central passage. So his version is indeed missing a crate in that level.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 11:33 PM, 0078265317 said:

Interesting.  Maybe there were some different versions.

According to this page, there were some bugs in the original Japanese release that were fixed in the international version.  It's strange that they didn't catch this.  Did anyone download the Japanese version of the ROM and see if this glitch is present?

Edited by Psionic
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 1/11/2022 at 2:51 PM, tylorlilley said:

I just ran into this same glitch when playing through Boxxle on a genuine cart myself. This is the only place on the internet that I can find anyone mentioning this. The situation I am running into is the exact same as described by the OP - a single box (the same one even - its the center box horizontally, on the top portion of the screen, with empty spaces on three sides and a wall to the north of it) is missing from 06-06 which makes it impossible to complete. What a weird mystery. Just thought I'd chime in in case someone else is playing Boxxle another 10 years from now and also feels like they are going crazy when they encounter this same glitch!

I actually stumbled back to this thread while looking for some hints on another Boxxle level...a nice trip down Memory Lane, and I still haven't beaten the whole game yet! My current hangup is on 8-03, and I'm looking to see if there are any bugs like the 6-06.  After that bug, it really makes you question every time you run into a...brick wall...ahem!  So, I'm hoping 8-03 isn't bugged.

I'm still playing my original cart, and in addition to having the bug on my SP, it's also on my GB Color.  I was hoping somebody has tried the original cart on the original grey GB brick and seen the same bug. Who knows, as I don't have any way to know how later generation Gameboys achieved their backwards compatibility...maybe some hardware issue causes the game to play incorrectly on newer GBs? 

Anyways, Boxxle is still fun and I hope folks trying the game out on the GB platform can still get some help through these threads. 

Maybe in another 11 years I'll have be able to finish 8-03!