IGNORED

Sega-16

It was hacked, it seems -- earlier today, the main page was redirecting to what looked to be a hacker site. Now the main page is blank, which I hope is a positive sign. I don't know if it was a DNS hack or their server was attacked, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for all the board members to take some appropriate precautions.

Probably just a server error or somebody forgot to pay the bill. Do we need a new thread every time some site doesn't load?

I highly doubt that it was just a server error -- the site's front page was redirecting to a hacker site.

Maybe you're not familiar with Sega-16, but lots of people here are also members there, myself included. It's very similar to Atariage, just oriented around Genesis/Sega CD/32X. So yes, I think this particular "some site" more than merits a thread.

Edited by thegoldenband

Having a site Hacked...what is to gain from this? Some free text and uploaded pics from others computers..or do the hackers gain access to members inboxes with addresses and such?

Why does this "hacking" happen? I know Paypal was hacked into a few months back and it caused some issues and Paypal potentially lost funds over the matter..but to hack a forum seems useless?

Am I missing something?

:? for serious here?

Whoever hacked it probably wiped the server. Hopefully they have backups. Has anyone tried contacting the admin directly (assuming his email address is known)?

Unfortunately the only email I have for Ken (Melf) is a Sega-16.com address, so that's out.

As for why, it could be any number of reasons, but since the redirect was to a hacker site I'm guessing it was simply "because it's there".

xdragonwarrior was 14 or 15 by differing accounts. Young, probably too young to hack the site.

Not saying anything about xdw, but I can tell you from experience that by that age kids are often very aware of the many cracking tools out on the internet, and are brash enough to use them. Most of them are just script kiddies who don't know WHAT the tool is doing. They just know it can bring a site to its knees.

There are also some kids at that age who are extremely gifted. I knew one who by the age of 12 actually hacked a government site using Linux. No BS here. Before coming to the school I worked at, was sent to a correctional school. He was with us for about 3 years before being offered a position with the Pentagon as a computer security advisor. I don't think he took that post though. Instead I think his parents got him to take courses to become a lawyer.

I had 3 major emotions for him: 1. Admiration to him for his knowledge. 2. Pity. He had a rough life at home and at the correctional school. 3. Fear. What the kid knew scared the crap out of me.

Sometimes a site doesn't has to hacked to be shut down. I know for a fact this one 'furry' site got shut down for the dumbest reason possible. It seems one of the Mods posted nearly all the info about this one site on their blog save for the password. Then they got this phoney email saying it was from their host, and they needed the password and they sent it. Lets just say after the site was restored they were no longer a mod. From my understanding they also got permanently banned.

This is good news to me. They took one of my favorite systems and turned it into some totalitarian masturbatory fanboy cult. Now I can finally take my Sega Genesis out of my closet without thinking about those fagots.

Reading this sort of comment makes me laugh. Sega-16 is one of the friendliest communities on the net and their appreciation for Sega's hardware and games is amazing. Without Sega-16, I would still be using a Model 2 Genesis with really bad video and sound, though I would have gotten a Sega CD and 32X anyway, because I loved the Genesis too much.

the 32x did it. All the other short comings of Sega is blamed on it so why not blame this on it? (I don't care if the 32x potentially destroyed Sega and their web-site, I like it)

Heh, especially on Sega-16 this seems to be the majority opinion. Maybe that lil' shroom that could

in 'A Christmas Story.'