IGNORED

Brett Hull Hockey

slackerwithin

• 4 weeks later...

Random true story about BHH and Barkley Basketball...

I was meeting with the dev on the project and was wondering why the projects were barely behind schedule and barely started and why he had a new BMW that seemed to coincide with the last Milestone payments. We got into a shouting match and he said why don't we take it outside! My boss at the time had to intervine before the fisticuffs....

• Like 6

Anyway i think it is better than any of the football game thats for sure.

haha, not that that says a whole lot. :P Troy Aikman is the only real American Football game on the system. Brutal Sports Football is just a strange hybrid of rugby, soccer, football. Unless you mean Soccer, in then I would say Fever Pitch is a pretty good game. It's a shame that Arena Football never got properly finished. The beta is pretty rough.

Sports games were never Atari's forte.

Edited by Jagman
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Random true story about BHH and Barkley Basketball...

I was meeting with the dev on the project and was wondering why the projects were barely behind schedule and barely started and why he had a new BMW that seemed to coincide with the last Milestone payments. We got into a shouting match and he said why don't we take it outside! My boss at the time had to intervine before the fisticuffs....

This is an old post, but I ran into it while searching today.

You can see some videos of BHH on youtube like this one:

Are you "purple" by chance?

I was one of the said developers, that is I worked for the infamous Ed Ringler at the time.

Were you there with your "boss" Jack Tramiel (or was it Sam that used to visit?, I forget which now).

That sounds like Ed alright. He was pretty notorious for such incidents.

I can't recall how many stories I've heard when I went on later interviews, like when I escaped to Interplay (and joined the "Fallout" team), I was told how Ed was trying to extort money

for a project for which he was already paid. Oh, and how many things I witnessed and experienced while there.

Ed in his drawling Boston accent that sounded a bit like a drunken Kennedy family member on crack.

It certainly gave us something to talk (and lol) about during lunch. The gang started to catalog all the odd sayings Ed would repeat that we called "Ed'isms".

Yea Atari (the Tramiel Bros version) paid for Ed's shiny new BMW (that I admit I reluctantly rode on occasion).

I put the pieces together later on..Ed made a deal with Atari to afford this nice video shoot for "Barkley Shut Up and Jam" (photos here: http://www.ataritimes.com/index.php?ArticleIDX=368)

that required Ed to buy a nice camera or two, necessary gear, rent a studio, and to hire pro actors with the money.

Apparently he took it and went out and bought this new exclusive car, but reserved enough "budget" so we could do most of work our selfs.

Ed did his best Cecil B. DeMille (barking out orders), the "studio" was some bare concrete space around an indoor skate park/ramp he rented, and we all became "actors" in this shoot (programers and artists),

that ran late into the night. Although for the win he did find a pro(?) actor that did look a hell of a lot like Barkley.

And then poor Gary (who went on to be the Lead Environmental Artist for WOW @ Blizzard) and the rest of the artists had to clean all these rough frames out of these videos and turn them into smooth animations.

I see Ed has a site (http://www.edringler.com/career.htm) where he's hocking bed frames these days.

Sadly (no thanks to Ed's finagling) neither BHH nor CBSJ never made to the market before that era of Atari died.

But luckily copies of them in one state or the other exist.

Edited by kevinsw
  • Like 5

I am Faran Thomason, but a good friend of Purple. I don't think I ever visited you guys with Sam (or Jack) for that matter...I am drawing a blank on my boss(maybe it was Jon Correll ?) at the time who I was with when I visited you guys. As I recall the "deals" for the Accolade conversions were already sorted out before the projects landed in my lap. I assume Ringler was chosen based on work of previous sports titles.

That is pretty random that Ed ended up selling bed frames.

At some point I need to check out Barkely and Hull just for nostalgia's sake. Glad to hear that you and your crew went on to bigger and better things!

• Like 2