IGNORED

Help identifying an Atari 2600 table top arcade.

Schizophretard

My wife saw this unit. For some reason she didn't get a picture, call me, or get the owners number. She tried to buy it but the lowest she could get him to go was $450 and she didn't have that on her. She didn't want to call me because I was sleeping and had to work later. I wish she would have woke me because I would of found a way to buy it if her description of it is only half right. Next time she goes to where she saw it she says she will call me.

Her description of this unit doesn't sound like something I've seen or heard about. I hope one of you can find a picture or can at least tell me what it is. She said it was like that kiosk I wanted. I showed her a picture of the Imagic kiosk. She said that it is like that but it is an Atari one with a TV. I showed her an Atari store display. She said it was smaller and that you can put it on a table. She said it was around the size of the Imagic kiosk. I was confused about how a TV would fit in it. She explained that the TV was a part of it. I showed her a Vectrex. She said it was like that. I asked if it was one of them. She said that the TV is in it like the Vectrex but on top it had Atari and the Atari Fugi in a red/orange color.

Anyway, I kept asking her questions to get a clearer picture of what it looked like. In the back it looks like the Imagic kiosk. You can open it up. put in a lot of Atari games, and see them through the window. The front looks like a table top arcade. The marquee has Atari and the Fuji in red/orange. The unit is black. The control panel has a joystick, a trackball, and a paddle. There are no wires on the joystick, trackball, and paddle. It is a control panel like an arcade but has an Atari look to it(the joystick is black rubber like the cx-40 without a ball on top). You don't put in a TV or 2600. The screen and 2600 is a part of it. Looking at it from the back you basically see an Imagic kiosk and the front looks like a Vectrex and 2600 Darth Vader had a baby.

I have never seen anything like this made by Atari. I suspect that it is a homemade one of a kind. Did Atari make these? Do you know what it is?

The only one that comes to mind is this one:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-parker-brothers-game-kiosk_20785.html

And I don't think she saw this one:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-video-game-selection-center_20633.html

In both cases, you're a very unlucky guy if you missed it.

This is rare stuff to say the least.

8)

I showed her those pictures and she said it isn't one of them. I showed her a homemade NES table top and she said it is similar. I suck at drawing so I traced it and she helped with the details. The picture below she said isn't exact but very close.

She said the back looks very similar to the Parker Brothers Game Kiosk and the controls look kind of like the Video Game Selection Center. The back had some kind of latch that locks the window. She said that at the bottom under the window is a wood door that slides up like a garage door. I was wrong about there not being an actual Atari in it. She said that in the wood door was two Ataris. It wasn't hooked up to the Ataris like a Rom Scanner. There were wires going into the Ataris. Behind the window with the games, it had two sections. One section was only hooked up to one Atari and the other was hooked up to the other. When you turn the game selector it selects which Atari to turn on by the numbers.

Here is what really freaked me out. She said,"In the back on the bottom right it had a number and said Made in Switzerland...Sss...Smithdale...Sunnydale...Something with an S." SUNNYVALE!!! I hope she isn't making this up. If it is real then I'm finding it.

Edit: Her interrupting me while drawing really affects my ability to count. LOL! :D

post-28856-0-27410500-1303350582_thumb.jpg

Edited by Schizophretard

I showed her those pictures and she said it isn't one of them. I showed her a homemade NES table top and she said it is similar. I suck at drawing so I traced it and she helped with the details. The picture below she said isn't exact but very close.

She said the back looks very similar to the Parker Brothers Game Kiosk and the controls look kind of like the Video Game Selection Center. The back had some kind of latch that locks the window. She said that at the bottom under the window is a wood door that slides up like a garage door. I was wrong about there not being an actual Atari in it. She said that in the wood door was two Ataris. It wasn't hooked up to the Ataris like a Rom Scanner. There were wires going into the Ataris. Behind the window with the games, it had two sections. One section was only hooked up to one Atari and the other was hooked up to the other. When you turn the game selector it selects which Atari to turn on by the numbers.

Here is what really freaked me out. She said,"In the back on the bottom right it had a number and said Made in Switzerland...Sss...Smithdale...Sunnydale...Something with an S." SUNNYVALE!!! I hope she isn't making this up. If it is real then I'm finding it.

Edit: Her interrupting me while drawing really affects my ability to count. LOL! :D

I really have no idea.

Two Atari's?

I give up.

8)

I really have no idea.

Two Atari's?

I give up.

8)

She isn't into my hobby so she doesn't know which Atari models. She said that all the cartridges are the same size and look like mine. I assume it was 2600 and 7800. I don't know how accurate her description is but I believe it is at least half right. Also her description has too much detail to be a lie. She could be exaggerating some things or not remembering correctly but there are things she said that she couldn't come up with. I could make them up but she couldn't.

The most convincing part of her story is her explaining to me the conversation with the guy and how he explained how it worked. When you select a game, it also selects which Atari. There are wires going into the Ataris to the power and reset buttons. If you select a game from the right side and hit power then it will turn on the power of just the Atari on the right. If you select a game from the left side and hit the same power button then it will turn on the power of just the Atari on the left. Same goes for the reset button. So the numbers have a dual function of game and Atari selection. All the wires are going into a circuit board and going out of it into the Ataris. The 80s style TV knob that you turn for the game selector selects which circuits are on and which are off. My wife couldn't come up with that. I would of easily caught her in a lie because she would of either been speechless or her description would make no sense. She probably couldn't explain to me how the inside of a door knob or toilet works with this kind of detail.

I found out why she didn't take any pictures for me, get his phone number, or anything to help me get it. Her plan was just to tell me enough to see if I was interested. She didn't expect me to ask all kinds of questions and be this interested. She expected me to either say something like,"That sounds kind of cool." or show no interest at all. We had a little fight because I was mad that it wasn't obvious to her that I would love this thing, that she didn't get pictures, and that she didn't get me his contact information. It felt like she saw the Ark of the Covenant and walked away so I got a little emotional. She won the argument when she explained that she just wanted to see my reaction, that the guy promised he will meet her somewhere, and that she was going to surprise me with it next month for our ANNIVERSARY. That shut me up! I still wish she would of took pictures and just let me get it now or at least got his number just in case he doesn't show up. If he doesn't show up or one of you somehow gets it then I will be searching for him or you like the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark. :D

It sounds like a custom DIY project, as I have been thinking about making something similar (A tabletop arcade just using an old Jnr. and a small flat screen)....

I'm thinking it probably is too but not a modern one. She described it as looking old. Faded paint, scratches, a few dings, old parts... She compared it's appearance to that Atari store display case that sold on Ebay recently. Also, the man is about 60 years old and he either said he has had it for 5 years or has been trying to sell it for five years. She doesn't remember which but she knows it is older than 5 years and she thinks it looks older than her(1988). She is very ignorant about Atari but it had an old appearance to her like the Atari store display case, Imagic kiosk, and Atari kiosk I showed her before she saw it. She didn't leave with the impression that it is a custom made thing from today. She left with the impression that it is something made by Atari and was used in a store to test games.

She made it seem like he understands it in and out. When she explains what he said she has trouble putting it in her own words because what he was saying was over her head. It wasn't like she was talking to a guy just trying to sell something but like a TV repair man explaining how a TV works. I think he made it but I think he made it years ago. Maybe he was an Atari fan and made it for himself, maybe he made it for an Atari booth he had in a flea market, or maybe he was a TV repair man tinkering with his Ataris in his shop when business was slow. It probably has an interesting story behind it. I'm almost tempted to try to get out of work, go with her, and meet him myself. If her description is accurate then I bet he saw an Atari Kiosk and designed it to look like a miniature one. If I don't get it I hope I at least find out more. It will be kind of funny if she is way off though and it is just a table top arcade that has nothing to do with Atari but I hope she isn't that far off.

Sounds very cool! Sure would like to see what this thing really looks like!

Me too. I hope she at least gets me pictures.

Any news on this? You've got us curious.

The only thing new I got is a little more evidence that it exists. Her uncle was with her. It was under a cover. Before she went to look at it her uncle saw it and thought it was a slot machine(He told me this himself). He walked away and then she went over because she was curious. The owner took off the cover and then that is when he started explaining what it was to her. So, since I have another witness I'm more convinced it exists.

I made sure I have the day off work that she is suppose to meet him again. If he is there I will buy it. If he is not I will still have a chance to get it later. I can't say why I would have the chance because I don't want to give enough information for one of you to get it first. I don't want to have to kill anybody. WHEN I get it I will post pictures. :)

• Like 1

Me too. Did you ever get photos?

Not yet. I'm doing my best to get a chance to see it, take pictures of it, ask the history of it, and buy it. One thing I can say for sure is that no one will have to ask for an update. I will post pictures and any information as I receive them. If it ever becomes apparent to me that it is hopeless for me to obtain it then I'll share the information that I have to find it. It isn't as simple as driving over to his house and getting it. My wife could of made it that simple for me but it will be somewhat of a challenge.