IGNORED

Reactris - AC2011

LinkoVitch

I was/am so chuffed with my efforts at AC2011 speed coding challenge, I thought I would share what myself and SH3-RG produced in the 24 hour limitation. Whilst this is far from finished (and I have hopefully addressed a bug I found AFTER the contest) it gives people a glimpse of things to come, as I do intend to finish this off as it was sooo much fun to get this far :)

Big thanks to the guys at Jagware for arranging the whole thing and being excellent hosts. Possibly the most organised event I have been to yet! impressive work!

Anyway, on with the file.. this probably won't run on anything other than stock Jag with either a skunk or BJL. Sorry to people in NTSC land, it may be a tad big for your screen, all things to address in future.

Enjoy, and please let me know any ideas feedback.

reactris download

• Like 13

Yes, it was nice to see the game evolving during the show, from a single green piece on screen, to a single green piece falling and falling again and again, to a multicolor piece falling and falling and stacking, then some gameplay, and graphs by sh3 included one by one.

You really chosed the hard way to start on a real Tetris gameplay from scratch...

PS : There was another participant on Jaguar : Matmook & Gregg with Tetribug, screen shot and music here :

http://www.yaronet.com/posts.php?s=139685

Come on, Linko! CDs are cheap. We can afford to burn a couple ;)

Put that Reboot-ULS thingie on and throw a disk image at us!!!

EDIT: LinkoVitch, your website is somehow messed up. This message appears:

LinkoVitch has screwed up again.. someone please tellhim!

Edited by Paolo

Thanks CJ, that's fine by me :) I didn't think people would want to make a CD of it as its not finished, but if people want to, fine by me :)

Paolo, thanks :) I broke the site YEARS ago, its the old old one I did many many moons ago, it's going in the bin when I can be bothered and something more appropriate will be in its place :)

Fadest: It's just how my brain works, every step of the way I have to test and prove to myself its still working :) Hope there wasn't too big a pile of blocks on the floor under my table :)

oh and I hope MatMook is going to finish off TetriBug, looked nice, look forward to having a whirl of the finished item :)

thanks guys

Edited by LinkoVitch

Fadest: It's just how my brain works, every step of the way I have to test and prove to myself its still working :) Hope there wasn't too big a pile of blocks on the floor under my table :)

I left before the cleaning operation :D

But, you brit coders are very strange, you do not eat Dragibus :o (and no C vitamin also...) How can you be so productive ?

Linkovitch, fact is that nowadays we sometimes spend 0,79{your favourite currency} for what are often stoopid bad-made reproductions of old classics, or we just play cheesy flash games.

Then we have this crop of talented atari-loving individuals. Even the most rushed and unfinished piece of code is surely better than that (and we have loads of unfortunately unfinished gems that testify this).

So, go LinkoVitch! (and add a time+score leaderboard, hehe)

• Like 1

Yes, it was nice to see the game evolving during the show, from a single green piece on screen, to a single green piece falling and falling again and again, to a multicolor piece falling and falling and stacking, then some gameplay, and graphs by sh3 included one by one.

You really chosed the hard way to start on a real Tetris gameplay from scratch...

Does that mean that Tetris Raiden wasn't your first tetris game :-o :lol: Your little lynx title looked really cool, now you have to port it to the Jag in time for E-Jagfest :rolling: The fact that Link hadn't written a game for the Jag before, I think what he put out was pretty amazing. SO yes it started off looking like slot racer on the VCS, but as you said watching the game evolve over the 2 days was impressive! Everyone who took part should be praised for the excellent work. Its really good to see positive things like this happening! Vive le France! (I hope that's right! :ponder: )

Does that mean that Tetris Raiden wasn't your first tetris game :-o :lol: Your little lynx title looked really cool, now you have to port it to the Jag in time for E-Jagfest :rolling: The fact that Link hadn't written a game for the Jag before, I think what he put out was pretty amazing. SO yes it started off looking like slot racer on the VCS, but as you said watching the game evolve over the 2 days was impressive! Everyone who took part should be praised for the excellent work. Its really good to see positive things like this happening!

I already made a Tetrisnoid for the Lynx (and also a previous cancelled ST version) : a classic Tetris game with the ball from a breakout in it :ponder: (yes, I love to mix games concepts, sometimes, it gives very nice things, sometimes not). It is included in Yastuna 1.

That's why I choosed to not make a Tetris game, I already did it, and I didn't want to start with a running engine. I could also choosed to port Tetrisnoid on the Jag, but it's too soon (I do not want to see Tetris block falling while trying to sleep again :D). In fact, the Lynx first try was a proto to check idea viability. Then I had to choose between continue on Lynx, or make a Jag game (or both - Gregg even made the Jag title screen also). But as Orion_'s game was already well advanced and impressive, I choosed to concentrate on only 1 platform (but one day, I will contest on many platforms, just for fun :cool: ). But you are right, a Jag version could be cool

What was interesting with Linkovitch game, it is that he allways let the Jag running with latest version on a big TV screen, instead of shutting it down while coding. So everyone could see the progression of the game (Ok, I'm used to see my progress, but it's great to see others success). And yes, I still think that people (there was 3 team, the 2 on Jaguar, the one on Amstrad) who chosed to make a real Tetris from scratch in assembly in 24h didn't take the easiest challenge. A column clone would have been far easier for example. So, hat off guys.

Vive le France! (I hope that's right! :ponder: )

In fact, France is a beautiful girl, so : Vive la France ;)

Does that mean that Tetris Raiden wasn't your first tetris game :-o :lol: Your little lynx title looked really cool, now you have to port it to the Jag in time for E-Jagfest :rolling: The fact that Link hadn't written a game for the Jag before, I think what he put out was pretty amazing. SO yes it started off looking like slot racer on the VCS, but as you said watching the game evolve over the 2 days was impressive! Everyone who took part should be praised for the excellent work. Its really good to see positive things like this happening!

I already made a Tetrisnoid for the Lynx (and also a previous cancelled ST version) : a classic Tetris game with the ball from a breakout in it :ponder: (yes, I love to mix games concepts, sometimes, it gives very nice things, sometimes not). It is included in Yastuna 1.

That's why I choosed to not make a Tetris game, I already did it, and I didn't want to start with a running engine. I could also choosed to port Tetrisnoid on the Jag, but it's too soon (I do not want to see Tetris block falling while trying to sleep again :D). In fact, the Lynx first try was a proto to check idea viability. Then I had to choose between continue on Lynx, or make a Jag game (or both - Gregg even made the Jag title screen also). But as Orion_'s game was already well advanced and impressive, I choosed to concentrate on only 1 platform (but one day, I will contest on many platforms, just for fun :cool: ). But you are right, a Jag version could be cool

What was interesting with Linkovitch game, it is that he allways let the Jag running with latest version on a big TV screen, instead of shutting it down while coding. So everyone could see the progression of the game (Ok, I'm used to see my progress, but it's great to see others success). And yes, I still think that people (there was 3 team, the 2 on Jaguar, the one on Amstrad) who chosed to make a real Tetris from scratch in assembly in 24h didn't take the easiest challenge. A column clone would have been far easier for example. So, hat off guys.

Vive le France! (I hope that's right! :ponder: )

In fact, France is a beautiful girl, so : Vive la France ;)

You know what, I actually put in vive la France originally & changed it :dunce: And we saw many examples of pretty French ladies in Dunkerque :lust: And of course the many fine ladies at the show too! |:) :lolblue:

Edited by Gaztee

Gaztee: sorry about that squire, wasn't going to stay on machine long and be more of a host, but then you had gone! and where is all my silverware and fine china!!! :D :D

Fadest: Thanks for your kind words, its a tremendous boost to my confidence to hear such things from skilled people. The reason I left it on the screen is the shocking green of the skunk hurts my head :D It should be configurable to be less intense :D

not from me right now. I just burnt a coaster :-P

CJ, I don't know if it has been my fault or what. I'll burn another two or three tomorrow, and I'll let you know.

I must say that usually I don't need more than one coaster before a good one (excepted for Downfall! where I made a mistake)

Little question: Is the fact that the fallen tiles are all acid green made on purpose?

I made outline gfx for game elements to give linko something to work with quickly. I did all these in that solid green colour. I looked through my photos but none showed the early builds, but as has been mentioned, it looked very VCS-like for a while, even though it was actually a 640x480 screen with 16bit objects :lol:

I got a bit carried away drawing detailed little things like the pressure gauge and totally forgot to make some decent blocks for the tetrominoes. I guess why the green stuff is there is more to do with linko getting things working first & leaving the fancy stuff until it functions correctly... he's quite efficient like that, his whole approach is pretty impressive. Bring on the first U-235 release :)

People really do want to play Tetris on the Jaguar Sixty Four Bit Multimedia System after all :)

I knew it!

Not really. Linko looks like he's having fun and just supporting him in that.

I do like the background images, the dark radioactive symbol etc. good stuff.

Yes Linko the 'next shape' box boundaries do have a problem with being exceeded. :)