IGNORED

Hooking up systems

I've got about 8 systems right now that I want to run into my tv's singular cable input. Right now it's a mess of switchboxes and rca splitters(hooked into an rca to coax adapter) running into either side of a 2 way coax combiner. However the signal quality on a few systems is getting bad, so does anyone have a switchbox or combiner system they know about. I saw these 8 way combiners, anyone know if they're any good?

Well, my television currently has 19 devices hooked up to it (most of which are game systems), but my television has three inputs - two composite and one coaxial. The composite systems are fairly easy to work with - just grab the biggest switchbox available (I currently have one 8-port and two 4-ports) and hook them to the AV ouptuts.

The RF units have been a bit more of a pain. I have been unable to find a big enough switcher for the coaxial units, so I have had to daisy-chain a few switch boxes together (six systems currently use RF).

So...I guess this wasn't much help, lol. Since you already have the RCA to coaxial adapter, I'd just try to minimize the number of switchboxes involved in this. Aside from the usual faulty cable, the picture quality has been fine on my setup.

-Rob

I'm just going to order that 8 way combiner, fits the number of systems I need to go into the set and I guess if it doesn't work I'll go with small 4 way ones. It's just those RCA splitters I have are absolutely horrible and have crazy signal degradation despite being about two inches of wire(two females hook into one male connector) so I'm guessing they're both faulty. This all came about though as I'm trying to get a better signal on my new Colecovision, which unfortunately is wired to end of the line.

I'm just going to order that 8 way combiner, fits the number of systems I need to go into the set and I guess if it doesn't work I'll go with small 4 way ones. It's just those RCA splitters I have are absolutely horrible and have crazy signal degradation despite being about two inches of wire(two females hook into one male connector) so I'm guessing they're both faulty. This all came about though as I'm trying to get a better signal on my new Colecovision, which unfortunately is wired to end of the line.

Please let us know how it works for you. I would love to have something that works like that!

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I think it may be a start if you're at all inclined to build one yourself ...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/13/how-to-make-a-solid-state-a-v-switcher/

A friend of mine helped me make a bounce-less switch for a guitar effects pedal with a device like this. We just used 3 switches to isolate and route the audio. I think we used a 555 and a JK flip flop or something. I wish I could find that schematic.

Well, my television currently has 19 devices hooked up to it (most of which are game systems), but my television has three inputs - two composite and one coaxial. The composite systems are fairly easy to work with - just grab the biggest switchbox available (I currently have one 8-port and two 4-ports) and hook them to the AV ouptuts.

The RF units have been a bit more of a pain. I have been unable to find a big enough switcher for the coaxial units, so I have had to daisy-chain a few switch boxes together (six systems currently use RF).

So...I guess this wasn't much help, lol. Since you already have the RCA to coaxial adapter, I'd just try to minimize the number of switchboxes involved in this. Aside from the usual faulty cable, the picture quality has been fine on my setup.

-Rob

Same with me, but my TV has 3 HDMI, 2 Component, 2 Composite, 1 S-video, one VGA, and one Coaxial.

Currently I have one Component switch, one S Video Switch and two Composite Switches and at the moment only one HDMI port is not currently in use.

I've been half looking at buying a new TV but all the TV's right now have jack squat for imputs. Like one Component and one Composite if your lucky and none had S-Video. Sucks.

I'd try and go Composite for as many systems as you can.

My TV has a ps3 via HDMI, 360, Wii, Xbox via Component.

Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis/32X/Sega CD, Master System, TG16, 3do, Neo Geo, Jaguar, Laserdisc player plugged into two automatic AV selectors. One of the AV selectors has Y adapters in each input making it accept 8 systems. The two outputs from the two AV selectors go into the back of my DVD recorder again with Y cables. Then the output from DVDr goes into the TV input. So I can record gameplay of anything at the touch of a button. All the Power cords are plugged into Power Squids which I personally find to be hideous but super functional.

Just got the combiner today and it works perfectly :) . Good signal coming in from all the systems. I've now got NES, SNES, 2600, 5200, 7800, Colecovision, Intellivision, Genesis/CD/32X all using their rf outs into one tv(I try to replicate the original experience as much as possible)

Sweet! I do believe that I need to place an order then- this could help me out :D

-Rob

I've got a couple of the old NES powered switch boxes, and one hard triple switch that I found at a thrift and added adapters to, to hook up all my RF only consoles. Everything else, except the Xbox 360, are run through a 'tree' of A/V switches, 1 as the 'root', and three others 'upstream'.

I do want to simplify it a little bit more, likely by doing things like moving the digital television converter to the living room, and building a better A/V switch that eliminates the need to daisy chain things.

Just got the combiner today and it works perfectly :) . Good signal coming in from all the systems. I've now got NES, SNES, 2600, 5200, 7800, Colecovision, Intellivision, Genesis/CD/32X all using their rf outs into one tv(I try to replicate the original experience as much as possible)

Wait, what? You are using an RF connection with your Genesis? :?

Edited by SRGilbert

Wait, what? You are using an RF connection with your Genesis? :?

Yeah, I'm using an rf switch box