IGNORED

Are video game prices getting to high for retro games or systems?

skaredmask

Are video game price getting to high Retro?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Are video game price getting to high Retro?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The "shape" metric really should only be:

Does it still work in a console? Yes? No? Done.

Anything beyond that is superficial nuttiness. To a huge majority of the population they are trash. The only people who get all picky about the labels, or the condition of the case, or whether it has the box and manual, and the condition of those as well, etc. are people who've let their OCD and nostalgia compulsions create a self perceived "value".

I don't care how rare a video game is to find in the wild. These are NOT art pieces. There's no intrinsic value in their uniqueness, or creative output. They're cheaply mass produced consumer products that have been mostly destroyed or trashed by uninterested people who've moved on in their lives to other, newer forms of entertainment. They're only rare to find because they're disposable to most people.

This is why I love things like the Harmony cart, emulations software, and the Flashback consoles. Preserve the games of the past, without forcing normal consumers to have to compete with eBay addicts and rich nutballs with too much time and disposable cash on their hands.

Wow, you really have an ax to grind against collectors.

Nah.

More like I have a problem with price gougers who prey on the addicitons of people with compulsive disorders, which in turn ruins the market for the average, non-obsessed consumer.

True. And then at the same time, there's plenty who want everything for nothing.

Old, outdated, obsolete games that were mass produced to the tune of millions of copies should be worth next to nothing.

The only people who disagree are those who have come to rely on the OCD impulse buyers to provide them income for nothing but reselling someone elses garbage to obsessive with no self control.

There may have been tons and tons of copies produced, but when you are talking about the 2600 the question isn't how many were made but how many are still around in good shape. The fact that we collect them is the only reason they have value at all. If no one wanted them they would be trash.

The "shape" metric really should only be:

Does it still work in a console? Yes? No? Done.

Anything beyond that is superficial nuttiness. To a huge majority of the population they are trash. The only people who get all picky about the labels, or the condition of the case, or whether it has the box and manual, and the condition of those as well, etc. are people who've let their OCD and nostalgia compulsions create a self perceived "value".

I don't care how rare a video game is to find in the wild. These are NOT art pieces. There's no intrinsic value in their uniqueness, or creative output. They're cheaply mass produced consumer products that have been mostly destroyed or trashed by uninterested people who've moved on in their lives to other, newer forms of entertainment. They're only rare to find because they're disposable to most people.

This is why I love things like the Harmony cart, emulations software, and the Flashback consoles. Preserve the games of the past, without forcing normal consumers to have to compete with eBay addicts and rich nutballs with too much time and disposable cash on their hands.

Well they have value to me, and the better the shape they are the move value they have to me. I guess that make me a "OCD impulse buyers" and "obsessive with no self control", and there is more to preservation then the ability to play the game. By your logic music would be perfectly preserved as long as someone remebered the lyrics to the songs. It doesn't matter the its not Elvis singing so long as some one still sings Hound Dog? Thats just silly.

I have a hard time seeing how anyone that is a part of Atari Age could say they don't care if the prices are getting to high on classic games. That means one of two things. 1)You aren't a collector, and so being part of a community that is almost completely based on collecting is odd 2)You have enough money that you don't care about what anything cost.

In short I would expect the vast majority of this forum to disagree with you. These are art, they have a place in history. Often these things represent the kind of inovation that advanced everything about our life. Its long been known that entertainment is often the first reason electronics advance. We are a world defined by games, we all play them in one way or another, and we all learn things from games. They matter.

• Like 1

The prices have fallen on most of the Atari stuff that I buy. I mainly, at this point, am buying the few odds and ends to complete my collection, label variations and pirate stuff. And these for the most part are cheaper now than a few years ago. I have noticed that most of the r-9s and r-10s are WAY more expensive now though.

with that said... there was a different trend for a small amount of time. the rairity 9 and 10s were going cheaper than normal after big collectors stopped buying them. i was collecting only rarity 1-5 at that time. then the big new items were rarity 6-7 boxed or sealed. now the focus is back to the high rarity games again. but fir a while it was easy to grab a tooth protectors cart for about $60 or even Glib for about $40 or $50

Well they have value to me, and the better the shape they are the move value they have to me. I guess that make me a "OCD impulse buyers" and "obsessive with no self control", and there is more to preservation then the ability to play the game. By your logic music would be perfectly preserved as long as someone remebered the lyrics to the songs. It doesn't matter the its not Elvis singing so long as some one still sings Hound Dog? Thats just silly.

Analog and later digital recording mediums that preserve recorded music properly have existed for nearly a Century now. The music is the Art. The medium it is stored on is a transient delivery device.

I have a hard time seeing how anyone that is a part of Atari Age could say they don't care if the prices are getting to high on classic games. That means one of two things. 1)You aren't a collector, and so being part of a community that is almost completely based on collecting is odd 2)You have enough money that you don't care about what anything cost.

I never said I don't care. Just the opposite. The prices are already too high, and have been for years. Collectors are only partly to blame. It's the price gouging sellers and fee-happy services like ePay I take issue with.

In short I would expect the vast majority of this forum to disagree with you. These are art, they have a place in history. Often these things represent the kind of inovation that advanced everything about our life. Its long been known that entertainment is often the first reason electronics advance. We are a world defined by games, we all play them in one way or another, and we all learn things from games. They matter.

I'm not worried about whether people disagree with me or not. I'm here to talk about and enjoy the games themselves. I care not for the competitive rat race that is the collector one-upsmanship employed by many here. Often times, it's a far too elitist, old boy mentality that leads to favoritism and poor moderation of conversations because of someone's perceived "value to the community", simply because they happen to own a large collection of overpriced, outdated toys. I would argue that most people came here out of a nostalgic love for these games as a kid or young adult; and for some - it morphed into an obsessive need to collect all this stuff and ferret it away in hermetically sealed storage to preserve it for - what exactly? all of these games and their code and hardware layout/schematics are safely preserved for future generations, in 1,000 places on the internet - for free.

The game code contained in these games is art, absolutely. The mass produced, plastic and paper packaging they came delivered in are no more artistic than the flower outline on Dixie brand paper plates, or a bulk-made, sweatshop generated generic American Flag lapel pin that has a "Made in China" sticker on the back of it, that you could buy at any postcard stand in NYC.

Somebody asked the question "Are classic video game prices getting too high?" and I answered, and explained on why I believe they are. If someone takes offense to what I've said - that's on them. I made no direct or even indirect accusations at any one person on here.

Edited by Underball

Saying that people that collect games as art or people that worry about the condition of their games, or people that would pay more then original retail for a game are OCD impusle buyers with no self control here is a lot like walking into a pick up basketball game and saying "people that play basketball are idiots".

• Like 1

Saying that people that collect games as art or people that worry about the condition of their games, or people that would pay more then original retail for a game are OCD impusle buyers with no self control here is a lot like walking into a pick up basketball game and saying "people that play basketball are idiots".

Assuming that the vast majority of users on this site are hardcore collectors is pure folly. Many users here are really only interested in the games themselves, and don't collect at all. A good deal of people here like myself will occasionally buy real hardware when it's found for a reasonable price, but are disgusted by the insanely inflated prices of certain "rarities". Emulation wouldn't exist and be talked about at length here, if collecting were the focus of this site, or somehow against the "collectors principles" being employed here.

Assuming that the vast majority of users on this site are hardcore collectors is pure folly. Many users here are really only interested in the games themselves, and don't collect at all. A good deal of people here like myself will occasionally buy real hardware when it's found for a reasonable price, but are disgusted by the insanely inflated prices of certain "rarities". Emulation wouldn't exist and be talked about at length here, if collecting were the focus of this site, or somehow against the "collectors principles" being employed here.

Please take your emulation fanboyism to the emulation forum. We don't need to turn this into a "real hardware vs emulation" topic. We are talking about prices here, you have already let us know you are against it, and that the people that do collect are less then you for paying too much for the things we enjoy. The site might not be all about collecting, but I'm pretty sure the marketplace is. Maybe not "hardcore" collecting, but collecting none the less. If you can emulate this stuff there is no reason to buy it if not to collect it.

• Like 1

Please take your emulation fanboyism to the emulation forum. We don't need to turn this into a "real hardware vs emulation" topic. We are talking about prices here, you have already let us know you are against it, and that the people that do collect are less then you for paying too much for the things we enjoy. The site might not be all about collecting, but I'm pretty sure the marketplace is. Maybe not "hardcore" collecting, but collecting none the less. If you can emulate this stuff there is no reason to buy it if not to collect it.

You seem pretty disgruntled. I merely posted an opinion. I did not direct it at you, or anyone in particular.

As for emulation vs. buying real hardware - some people like doing both, myself included. I own real hardware to play at home. I work on emulators for the PSP to play on the go.

As for pricing, most people don't like overpaying for this stuff. But there is a small minority of people who are willing to throw ridiculous sums of money out there to be "The One" to own certain rarities. Be it compulsion, or bragging rights - it's a want, not a need. No one needs this stuff to live, but some want it so bad they will nearly put themselves in financial trouble or debt to satisfy an impulse buying urge. That's self destructive behavior - and it's present all over the place here. But I don't have a problem with these people, as you suggest.

It's the SELLERS who know this about their target market, and gouge on pricing and set ridiculous standards that prey on them that I have a problem with. The subject of the thread is pricing. I posted why I believe pricing gets out of control sometimes, and how that directly affects the going market rate for everyone setting an unfair standard.

Be it compulsion, or bragging rights - it's a want, not a need. No one needs this stuff to live, but some want it so bad they will nearly put themselves in financial trouble or debt to satisfy an impulse buying urge. That's self destructive behavior - and it's present all over the place here.

I understand your point, but the same could be argued for more than just video game collecting and I think that is probably a topic for another thread. I agree with you on wants vs. needs, but I would guess that a majority of collectors are not putting themselves in financial difficulty. Many people just have a decent amount of discretionary income and choose to spend it on video games. It could certainly be argued that collecting isn't the wisest investment of that income, but who are we to judge whether someone is right or wrong for doing it?

As for pricing, most people don't like overpaying for this stuff. But there is a small minority of people who are willing to throw ridiculous sums of money out there to be "The One" to own certain rarities. Be it compulsion, or bragging rights - it's a want, not a need. No one needs this stuff to live, but some want it so bad they will nearly put themselves in financial trouble or debt to satisfy an impulse buying urge. That's self destructive behavior - and it's present all over the place here. But I don't have a problem with these people, as you suggest.

It's the SELLERS who know this about their target market, and gouge on pricing and set ridiculous standards that prey on them that I have a problem with. The subject of the thread is pricing. I posted why I believe pricing gets out of control sometimes, and how that directly affects the going market rate for everyone setting an unfair standard.

For the record... and I'm sorry I started us down this path if I did... I was really talking about a completely different thing than you seem to be. I think the super high prices are ridiculous as much as you do. I'm referring to the uber-cheapskates that exist around here, who don't even want to pay anything for the lowest-of-the-low-priced items. I agree there are price gougers, big time. Absolutely. It's a problem. I, for one, just really enjoy this stuff, and want it all to be worth as little as possible so I can have more of it should I want it. I actually got really irritated and upset when last season on Auction Hunters (Spike TV) they suggested that a 4-switch 2600 with a beat-to-hell box was worth $250! It's things like that that cause so many people to list their common gaming items on CraigsList or eBay for ridiculous prices. Still, all that said, everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it in a free market, and it is their right. People are not "OCD" for doing it, it's just what they choose to spend their money on, period.

Edited by Mirage

You can't blame sellers for the high prices. The items can only sell for as much as they do because there are enough buyers willing to spend it. I could throw Combat on eBay with a BIN of $100. No one is going to buy it.

There is no reason in the world that Final Fantasy VII gets the kind of money it does. It was a multi million seller BEFORE it went greatest hits. It wasn't all that long ago that the local game store had literally stacks of that game in their showcase for $7.99. Then the movie came out and all of a sudden the nerds had to have the game and were willing to pay obscene amounts of money for it.

What kind of seller is going to say to himself, "Hey, even though everyone else is getting $30 - $70 dollars for this game, I know this game isn't worth half of that. I'm only going to sell it for $10."

• Like 1

Someone either doesn't understand how a free market works or doesn't have the means to participate at the level they would like. In the 13+ years I've been collecting, I've seen prices go up on games that used to be cheap and go down on other games that used to be expensive. Both for reasons that are wide and varied. Like it or not, there is a segment of collectors that are willing and able to spend money to acquire the games and consoles they want and that is going to drive the market. Thankfully, those same people tend to be good with money and will research before just dropping a high BIN to get what they want so the impact of the high resellers, while it does exist, is highly exaggerated in my opinion. There has been little I've wanted to buy that I felt I needed to pay a premium for and even in the few cases where I did, it was for a specific reason. Patience is key in collecting games and while it won't guarantee you always win out, it will certainly help.

Edited by 98PaceCar
  • Like 2

Although you raise some interesting points, the reality is that the overwhelming majority of people registered and participating on this site are collectors. This really isn't a generic interest site for video games or even classic video games. The site is structured to provide collectors with the tools they need to pursue collecting including box and manual scans, rarity scales, checklists, etc...Besides yourself, I don't know anyone else on here who doesn't have some form of physical game collection and according to your own post, you do actually have some physical stuff if it can be found cheap enough. I'm not sure where you're seeing all this focus on emulation, but the only discussions I have seen about it involves efforts to preserve physical stuff that's incredibly rare or at risk of being destroyed by time. There are certainly lots of sites focused on creating emulators and distributing roms, but this sure isn't even close to being one of them. Honestly, I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but I would hope that you would at least be respectful of the fact that most of us are collectors and pretty savvy about what we collect and don't really agree with your basic views on the subject.

• Like 3

Although you raise some interesting points, the reality is that the overwhelming majority of people registered and participating on this site are collectors. This really isn't a generic interest site for video games or even classic video games. The site is structured to provide collectors with the tools they need to pursue collecting including box and manual scans, rarity scales, checklists, etc...Besides yourself, I don't know anyone else on here who doesn't have some form of physical game collection and according to your own post, you do actually have some physical stuff if it can be found cheap enough. I'm not sure where you're seeing all this focus on emulation, but the only discussions I have seen about it involves efforts to preserve physical stuff that's incredibly rare or at risk of being destroyed by time. There are certainly lots of sites focused on creating emulators and distributing roms, but this sure isn't even close to being one of them. Honestly, I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but I would hope that you would at least be respectful of the fact that most of us are collectors and pretty savvy about what we collect and don't really agree with your basic views on the subject.

Thank you. You said what I was thinking and couldn't get into words properly.

I'm not sure where you're seeing all this focus on emulation, but the only discussions I have seen about it involves efforts to preserve physical stuff that's incredibly rare or at risk of being destroyed by time. There are certainly lots of sites focused on creating emulators and distributing roms, but this sure isn't even close to being one of them. Honestly, I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but I would hope that you would at least be respectful of the fact that most of us are collectors and pretty savvy about what we collect and don't really agree with your basic views on the subject.

You are kidding, right?

There's an entire subforum here dedicated to it. This site hosts the ROMS of ALL Atari Console Games, and all of the various releases of Atari console emulators. Most of the major and minor developers in the Atari emulation scene are frequent posters here. There are currently active and ongoing topics in ALL of the various console specific forums about the ongoing update status of the various emulators, homebrew development, and rom preservation here. In fact, I would argue that homebrew and hack game development, and testing and playing them in emulators pretty much dominates the conversation in 3/4 of this board. Especially in teh 2600, 5200 and 7800 forums - not to mention the development forums.

Edited by Underball

I'm not sure where you're seeing all this focus on emulation, but the only discussions I have seen about it involves efforts to preserve physical stuff that's incredibly rare or at risk of being destroyed by time. There are certainly lots of sites focused on creating emulators and distributing roms, but this sure isn't even close to being one of them. Honestly, I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but I would hope that you would at least be respectful of the fact that most of us are collectors and pretty savvy about what we collect and don't really agree with your basic views on the subject.

You are kidding, right?

There's an entire subforum here dedicated to it. This site hosts the ROMS of ALL Atari Console Games, and all of the various releases of Atari console emulators. Most of the major and minor developers in the Atari emulation scene are frequent posters here. There are currently active and ongoing topics in ALL of the various console specific forums about the ongoing update status of the various emulators, homebrew development, and rom preservation here. In fact, I would argue that homebrew and hack game development, and testing and playing them in emulators pretty much dominates the conversation in 3/4 of this board. Especially in teh 2600, 5200 and 7800 forums - not to mention the development forums.

Yes, there is one subforum out of 37 total which only has a total of 2001 posts and 13,097 replies, placing it in the bottom third of all the subforums and below even current events in total activity. I would dispute your claim that emulators and roms "dominate" this board. It's a small part of it and I can confidently say that the overwhelming majority of the folks in the emulation community also have a physical collection. In fact, many people here actually buy reproduction versions of cartridges of the roms that get released simply because they prefer to have a physical version and the board creator has a small side business which makes these releases possible. You are in the minority here and while I support your right to express your opinions and participate, there is simply no arguing the fact that your views are out of touch with the vast majority of the participants on this board and don't reflect anyone else's opinion but your own.

• Like 2

You are kidding, right?

Yes, there is one subforum out of 37 total which only has a total of 2001 posts and 13,097 replies, placing it in the bottom third of all the subforums and below even current events in total activity. I would dispute your claim that emulators and roms "dominate" this board. It's a small part of it and I can confidently say that the overwhelming majority of the folks in the emulation community also have a physical collection. In fact, many people here actually buy reproduction versions of cartridges of the roms that get released simply because they prefer to have a physical version and the board creator has a small side business which makes these releases possible. You are in the minority here and while I support your right to express your opinions and participate, there is simply no arguing the fact that your views are out of touch with the vast majority of the participants on this board and don't reflect anyone else's opinion but your own.

I don't disagree with the early part of this. Emulation isn't the "focus" of this board, but neither is collecting. Buying games to play isn't the same as collecting games. I've made this distinction before, but there is a vast difference in both mentality and intention between "gamers" who have a reasonable amount of physical games on hand they play regularly, and "collectors" who have large collections of unopened games that will never be played or enjoyed beyond staring at their boxes and hoping their value rises. I would argue that what drew most of the users here to this site is the Gaming aspect of that, rather than the collecting aspect. Sure there are a lot of people who straddle both sides of this. I just dont' understand the people who come here to buy up these games with no intent on ever opening or playing them. Seems less like an interest in Atari games, and more like and obsession with collectibles and making a speculative investment.

You assume collectors don't play the things we collect.

It would seem a collector in your mind is a person that buys things just to have them.

Congrats, you have completely jacked this thread.

EDIT: Wow, I just went back and counted, there were 10 post before your first post, and that is exactly when you jacked this thread. Amazing work sir. You stepped into a conversation, made a blanket statement about the intelligence of collectors and took this conversation away from the OP. Trolling at its best.

• Like 1

You assume collectors don't play the things we collect.

It would seem a collector in your mind is a person that buys things just to have them.

Congrats, you have completely jacked this thread.

EDIT: Wow, I just went back and counted, there were 10 post before your first post, and that is exactly when you jacked this thread. Amazing work sir. You stepped into a conversation, made a blanket statement about the intelligence of collectors and took this conversation away from the OP. Trolling at its best.

I made no statement about the intelligence of anyone here. OCD tendencies, and impulse buying has nothing to do with intelligence. Some of the smartest, most capable people in the world are compulsive personalities.

I've continued to make posts on-topic throughout this entire thread, re: why I think classic gaming pricing is too high.

You've done nothing but insult me for 2 pages now.

I dont' ASSUME anything about you, or anyone else. You can stop taking my comments personally, until I directly address you. I suggest you actually READ my last post. I clearly said "I know some people straddle the line between being gamers and collectors, but I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE PEOPLE WHO BUY UP THESE GAMES WITH THE INTENTION OF NEVER PLAYING THEM."

That doesn't pertain to you because you do play these games, right? So why are you being so defensive about it?

Edited by Underball

Since the thread is already thoroughly derailed...

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder has very little to do with impulse buying. How does something like washing your hands every 15 minutes or having to flip every light switch 5 times cause anyone to purchase massive quantities of video games for ebay prices? I think what you are referring to is some sort of Obsessive Collecting Disorder which is quite a bit different...

Edited by PsychedelicShaman

You've done nothing but insult me for 2 pages now.

You once started an entire thread to bash me, so lets not go there.

You then came here and did the exact thing you called me a troll for doing so I thought it only fair to point out that you also came to a thread about buying games talking about emulating them. Now, atleast once you asked me to leave your thread I did, and you asked so nice too. When I called you on this and asked you to stop with it in similar fashion nothing changed.

I'm not the only here catching the troll coming off your post.

And calling you out on this stuff is not insulting you. Insulting you would be saying that people that emulate video games are thoughtless, lazy, dim wits that only get to experience a small part of the joy of classic gaming. We all know that isn't entirely true, but it would start some drama if I was to say that and that would be trolling. See how that works?

You don't have to say "HatefulGravey is an OCD impulse buyer with no self control", you said that collectors were, and I'm a collector. You can see the connection right? Infact, if you had used my screen name you would have only insulted me, but instead you insulted everyone that thinks of themself as a collector.

It would be nice to have a conversation about the prices of classic gaming items going up, but I guess that is just wishful thinking ;) .